Home > General > Chirping Noise and Flat Sport on Acceleration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Aibonator

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black
Chirping Noise and Flat Sport on Acceleration

Hi Guys,
This might sound a bit vague but I have issues with my F2 07 Plate HSE. First of all a local (non LR) garage plugged the diagnostics computer into the ECU and the car reported no problems.

When you accelerate, most noticiable in 2nd and 3rd (but also heard in 4th), there is a chirping noise coming from the
drivers side of the engine. It also causes a flat spot in the range when the chirping happens. Car douesn't seem down on power, clutch position hasnt changed and it doesn't smell of burning or anything.

I would normally ride it out but I want to sell the car and cant ethically do it knowing it might break within a month or so.

No one is sure what it is and I'm affraid I might have to bite the bullet and book it into the LR garage for investigation. Someone at the garage who drove it said it sounded like the 'waste gate'? <could>.

I scanned the interweb and cant find anything that describes my fault.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tyron.

Post #156970 10th Oct 2012 11:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

chirping noise sound like what i have had and that was causing a flat spot

I originally took my car if for a flat spot going up hills, they replaced the turbo, then a week or two later the flat spot returned and along with it a chirp

this was diagnosed as a issue between the turbo and the manifold it sits on and a loss of gas, hense the chirping noise, resulted in them replacing the manifold also as they said they can warp slightly and not seat and seal correctly

fortunately mine was in warranty, but they said it wasnt a cheap job Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #156973 10th Oct 2012 11:45 am
Aibonator

That sounds bad. I bet the parts alone plus the vat are around £1000 or so. Not to mention the labour <breaking>

Between a rock and a hard place right now.
Thanks for the reply.

Tyron.

Post #156980 10th Oct 2012 1:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

this is a video of the sound, it doesn't really do it justice, but the whistle got louder a few days later

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #156988 10th Oct 2012 2:16 pm
Aibonator

That's interesting. Mine sounds more like a quick chirp, like a slipping belp, rather than a whine. It also doesn't do it when your stationary reving the engine.

It feels like something is slipping, or the turbo is blocked - I don't know.

Complicated stuff.
Arrgghhh.

Post #156992 10th Oct 2012 2:50 pm
Aibonator

Actually I was wrong with last post. If you rev it in nutural it makes the same noise. Not load enough to record, feels like the car is coughing to clear its through.

Post #156995 10th Oct 2012 3:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

that was the problem i had, still not under as much load, but driving the chirp was louder, but the wind noise from the window been down drowned out the noise

my guess is the gasket between the manifold and the turbo, its sounds to me a good place to start looking Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #156997 10th Oct 2012 3:34 pm
JBC

England 

I had the same problem with my TD5 discovery and it Was the exhaust manifold gasket. The manifold had warped and the gasket blew, and you could see soot marks on the bulkhead and head. It also made that sort of noise.

I asked around a bit and took the following action....took manifold off, ground out webs between ports and replaced with a new gasket and high tensile cap head bolts. Tightening it down evenly pulled it back square and I never had another probelem with it.

Not saying that would work on a FL2 but, you could get the manifold refaced and reassemble with a new gasket? Any engineering shop should be able to reface it to flat, and if it's reassembled with a bit of exhaust paste as well as the gasket that should be the end of the problem. It doesn't sound like you should need a new turbo, even if you do end up needing a new manifold

Regards

Jon

Post #157000 10th Oct 2012 4:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1