« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Electrical issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
matt-j

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Electrical issue

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on a couple of random things my FL2 keep doing, very rarley, very intermittantly.

little bit of a back story which is that the two years ago in December the original battery failed, I went to the local ABS store and on their recommendation purchased an after market battery with a slightly different spec, (at the time i told them it was wrong and i wanted the right one but they convinced me). The battery worked fine.

11months later in November the second battery failed. (took it back and got my money back as it was within 12months) the battery had failed with the same reason of the first battery. after posting on here, one of our technical guru's advised me i needed the correct battery as there is a factory software setting dependant on the battery type issued on vehicle build. so i got the proper one from the main dealer. since then we never left the auto headlight switch in position as some one on here said it may cause a drain when the FL2 isnt in use.

in the back of my mind i though it may be faulty glow plug(s) as these batteries failed not long the really cold weather had set in. to be honest i still think this and am probably going to change them.

so the next issues to recently appear: few weeks ago my wife unlocks the car and the windows open all the way, a couple of days later it does it again but only the driver window opened about 3 inches. It's not done it since.

over the last week (on two occasions) the car unlocks fine and starts fine but all the trip milage indicators (push button and stalk controlled) have "zero'd" themselves like the battery had been disconncted - but the time on the stereo has not reset. it has done this before around 12 months ago. I have checked the main earth connections and they are clean contacts.

the extra equipment fitted is, DVD player in the glovebox, the LR headrest entertainment kit, and a bury CC9900 blue tooth kit, the dvd and headrests are wired into the front fag lighter and the cc9900 is powered in-line of the stereo connectors.

so.....anyone come across the random electronic acts before? any ideas? i'm thinking that the battery & glow plug issue may be one thing and the other stuff may be un-related software glitches?

cheers

matt

Post #155821 28th Sep 2012 12:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

If you haven't had the software update fix for the trips zeroing then thats well worth while. About half hour labour cost.

Post #155822 28th Sep 2012 12:18 am
matt-j

wizking wrote:
If you haven't had the software update fix for the trips zeroing then thats well worth while. About half hour labour cost.

brilliant! mine is a 2007 model so there must have been a few software updates along the way. if i booked it into a dealer do you think they would they update all the software programs files to bring them all up to date. or just the individual files with issues?

Post #155823 28th Sep 2012 12:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
matt-j

im also wondering if the s/ware update was launched while my vheicle was still in warranty could i get it rectified for free as it was still going in for service at the time. phone call to main dealer coming up........ Very Happy

Post #155824 28th Sep 2012 12:41 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Mine suffered horrendous random electrical faults for three years including windows going down on there own and it failing to turnover in cold weather. HDC disabled and wipers going off on their own just to name but a few issue's !

Landrover were absolutely useless and not interested from new !( apparently they all do it ! ) which has left a very sour taste BUT when the dealers had it for weeks to investigate afetr a letter to the MD of LR they found the main battery cable harness from the earth post to the body totally corroded inside.
Apparently it was thick green and crunchy.

The earth strap is shrunk wrapped so i guess eventually they cut some of the plastic sheath off to find the wires totally corroded
This may be worth a check but a visual check will not work. They did admit that when they removed the cable and put an AVO meter on both ends the OHMS varied horrendously as they waggled the cable.

It was suggested that Flux from the soldering process when the eyelets are fitted hadn't burnt off and when its shrunk wrapped it caused total corrosion.

I have to say that after the cable was change all the quirks and starting issues, HDC disabled-reduced power etc etc, windows playing up and the radio, and dash board issues including random auto box gear changes have all been resolved by the new cable.

Post #155834 28th Sep 2012 9:18 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Just looked at my invoice for the software update and it was described as;

"Carried out technical bulletin reflashing IPK bcm and solar sensor"

Hope that helps.

Post #155838 28th Sep 2012 11:11 am
matt-j

cheers for the info Thumbs Up

spoke to hillendale today (main dealer) and they said because it is not a recall, software updates are chargable. but as long as investagations are not needed and software is all that needs updating then £72 inc vat

Post #155839 28th Sep 2012 11:20 am
Eurolandy

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

It’s a good point Oldgeezer made about the flux on connections. Many years ago I worked for an overseas defence company and attended a few lectures on various aspects of Quality Control in electronics / electrical manufacture. One of the key points made was the importance of cleaning away the flux from soldered joints to prevent corrosion, something I religiously do every time I solder anything (I was also taught the importance of this during my apprenticeship). It’s amazing when you open some branded household electronic products, how much flux is left on the joints. Cheap manufacture, done to a price.

Chris.

Post #155922 29th Sep 2012 11:48 am
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Have you had the charging system checked !!(it must be working OK because you would have a flat battery all the time)

Poor earthing can course no end of fun and games with modern cars electrics
( so check all the earth cables from the battery to the body and body to the engine etc. )

I have fitted an extra think earth cable from the battery to the engine. It dose make a difference in very cold starting, you can't feel any difference in the summer !

I would also check that your blue-tooth is discounted when the ignition is turned off. Don't have it plugged in to the rear power point socket because it is live all the time.

I have the blue -tooth which works thought the car but if your using the phone when you turn off the ignition it stays turned on (when you go into the house after your call its still live which will drain the battery over time)

It's court me out me a few times.
Hope you get it sorted soon Thumbs Up

Post #155930 29th Sep 2012 2:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1