Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2 months till out of warranty!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey
2 months till out of warranty!!!!

Well, it's 2 months till my FL is out of warranty and I am buckling up for regular big bills. So far under warranty have had the following done and it's only done 30k miles: trim replaced, door card refixed, seatbelt replaced, new clutch and dmf, glovebox replaced, squeaky gearstick fixed twice, door striker fixed, weather seal replaced and various software updates. In comparison, my now 7 year old Audi A4 has had absolutely nothing go wrong with it at all. Now if only I could have afforded a Q5...

Post #155820 27th Sep 2012 11:53 pm
Mark1988

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I am planning on buying the extended warranty when mine runs out in January.

Though I have only had my alternator replaced so far...

Post #155829 28th Sep 2012 8:40 am
taztastic

England 

Extended warranty is the only option then Thumbs Up

Post #155830 28th Sep 2012 8:48 am
AiiEEX

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I extended my warranty for another 3 years.
One year in and I haven't needed to use it.

Not sure if to cry tears of happiness or sadness!

Post #155833 28th Sep 2012 9:18 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Took my car for its 3 year service to Hunters of Southampton, it was on the last day of its manufacturers warranty.

They diagnosed that the vibration I reported was due to a faulty Haldex unit which would be replaced under warranty Very Happy Very Happy

They could not do it immediatly as they needed the part, and as I was leaving for Germany the following day they agreed to keep the car for the three weeks I was away . Very Happy

In all I had the service , including brake fluid change ,an MOT ( for half price) for £400 approx.

Car returned by 10am on the day of my return as agreed , cleaned and finished.

In all excellent A1 service with no hassle and great service staff.

And yes , I will take out the LR warranty (less breakdown )

Post #155835 28th Sep 2012 9:32 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

mojo wrote 'Now if only I could have afforded a Q5...'

If you could have afforded a Q5 then nothing would have gone wrong because everything is an extra compared to the FL2. I looked at the Q5 before I changed my last FL2 and would have needed to spend about £16K on top of the base price to spec it up to the FL2 HSE. Shocked

Post #155850 28th Sep 2012 12:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

get yourself a waranty with LRA included, only £70 per month Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #155856 28th Sep 2012 12:57 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a couple of comments here. I would not worry. Mine has been OUT of warranty for almost three years. I need to have the EGR valve replaced at some point. But she is a good reliable car. I am not paying out stupid money forms warranty that may not be used.

Did you know a recent survey showed that 87% of owners who take out extended warranties didn't get there money back in repairs!

But I think extended warranties can be a waste of time if your car has not got a history of going wrong all the time.

As for the Audi Q5 comment. Audi's are not as good as people make out. There is this illusion that they never go wrong and they are just brilliant. Total Censored . You just find that Audi drivers do not shout about problems in case it gives than a bad name.

Our Audi's at work cost us a bloody fortune. So much so that we have now gone on to lease so the lease company get the bills and we don't. We have A3's, A4's and A6's.

Although we are encouraged to Audi, most of the guys are using this new policy to go away from Audi. I know I won't make the same mistake again. I was drawn to the high spec of the A3 Black Edition. But the doors creak, the rear seat rattles and the start stop system is just crap. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #155967 30th Sep 2012 11:47 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

As above. The brother in law runs his own recovery service and has been out to more Audi's than any other make!

Post #155969 30th Sep 2012 12:07 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Re: 2 months till out of warranty!!!!

mojo wrote:
Now if only I could have afforded a Q5...

Not planning on going off road again then, I assume?

Post #155972 30th Sep 2012 12:44 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

[quote="Mav71"]Did you know a recent survey showed that 87% of owners who take out extended warranties didn't get there money back in repairs!

I took out the extended warranty on my other car, a Mini Cooper S. Renew it each year for about £300 and in each of those years, the repairs have cost more than the warranty. £2K for a sunroof, chain tensioner x 2, boot catch etc etc. Warrenty picked it all up; you pays ya money and takes ya chance.

Given LRs woeful reliability record (I've owned them for 12 years, my dad and father in law for years before that) I'd rather pay out knowing that something catastrophic could go wrong pretty much at any time.

Post #155976 30th Sep 2012 1:55 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

[quote="Andy S"]

Mav71 wrote:
Did you know a recent survey showed that 87% of owners who take out extended warranties didn't get there money back in repairs!

I took out the extended warranty on my other car, a Mini Cooper S. Renew it each year for about £300 and in each of those years, the repairs have cost more than the warranty. £2K for a sunroof, chain tensioner x 2, boot catch etc etc. Warrenty picked it all up; you pays ya money and takes ya chance.

Given LRs woeful reliability record (I've owned them for 12 years, my dad and father in law for years before that) I'd rather pay out knowing that something catastrophic could go wrong pretty much at any time.

For sure, some will have got there monies worth. But personally I think they are a waste of money. Apart from Audi A3 we bought new back in 2006, I have never had an unreliable car. If I had a car that was that bad whilst under warranty, I would not be keeping it after the warranty ran out.

The most reliable I have had were my 2 Vectra's, 2 Signums and an Astra. All four with the 1.9 CDTi engine and over 240000 between them, they never faultered once. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #155978 30th Sep 2012 2:39 pm
Andy S

United Kingdom 

As I say, you pay your money and take your choice. LRs are complex; I've never had major problems with any of the 5 I've owned, neither have relatives, but when the do go wrong, its likely to be a big bill. I'd rather pay a the warranty premium knowing that if something went wrong, it was covered.

Post #155979 30th Sep 2012 3:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1