« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Opinions needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Opinions needed

I would like to gain your opinions on something. Whilst I am here on holiday, not thinking about work etc, the car has got me thinking.

Do I look at splashing out after Christmas on another HSE but SD4 this time.

Or........

Keep the one I have and splash a bit of cash on it to improve it a little.

For example :-

Evoque 19" or 20" shadow chrome wheels
Bonnet painted (to remove stone chips)
Maybe a Sport LE bodykit

Doing the mods would be far far cheaper than changing the car, and I know thT even if I change the car I will be spending money on that one too, to make it my own.

My thinking is why give someone else the benefit of our car as it has been bloody brilliant.
I drive it just a few times a month and the Mrs is in no hurry to change?

What are peoples opinions? Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #151486 18th Aug 2012 5:04 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I think you have answered your own question there, but anyhoo, if it has given you no trouble then there seems to be no reason to get rid of it. Spending a bit of money on it to enhance it a little will make it feel like a new car anyway.

So I would say keep it Thumbs Up And this coming from someone who has changed his own car 3 times in 3 years Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #151488 18th Aug 2012 5:17 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I was in same boat a couple of weeks ago. Sat in a few nearly new FL2s and it's like your sat in your own car,not much as changed if anything so I'm not going to pay an extra £8-12 grand for something that's going to be the same.

Post #151490 18th Aug 2012 5:22 pm
alex_pescaru

Keep the car, keep it like it is and use the money for a nice and long journey with it! Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #151491 18th Aug 2012 5:44 pm
D99

England 

I would only spend the cash on your current FL2 if you plan to keep it a while because you will only get a fraction of your cash back when selling, i'm in a similar position now.. i've had mine over 3 years now and had no bother with it apart from the usual like PDC in the wet, and sat nav switching off and on for no reason once a year! and as hinchy says i couldn't justify spending that amount on a newer version of the "same" car!

Post #151552 19th Aug 2012 9:56 am
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Lol, I did just change but it was because the car was giving me problems. I don't believe that you should change to SD4 just for that reason, and it's amazing how a few well spent ££s can give the car a whole new feeling.

If you are happy with it, stick with it! Thumbs Up 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #151556 19th Aug 2012 10:34 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

if the car has been reliable and your still enjoying it I would advise keep it.

a new model is only new for the first year or so then your back to where you were before !!

you also have a point that someone else will benefit buying your reliable well looked after vehicle.

I've come to realise this myself and am thinking of just holding onto mine, but perhaps changing my wife's IQ for a Mazda MX5 Very Happy

Iain

Post #151557 19th Aug 2012 10:49 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Keep it - You will not have to worry about the nuisance of having a DPF clogging up. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #151561 19th Aug 2012 11:04 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Keep it, do a detail on the interior and exterior and you can make it cleaner and tidier than the dealers do a new car anyway Cool Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #151563 19th Aug 2012 11:11 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

another vote for keeping it as it is and not spending any money on tarting it up. it will not increase its value and you can't see the wheels and body kit when you are driving it, pop the money in the bank and run the car 'till it drops then replace it. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #151569 19th Aug 2012 11:53 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

My opinion would be keep it until the facelift has arrived in the dealers - then make your choice - hopefully the facelift will have enough different to make it feel like a different car...well certainly the interior

Modding cars rarely adds any value and for some it detracts

Post #151574 19th Aug 2012 12:18 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

I have been considering changing my 2010my HSE TD4 for a new(er) SD4 but, having completed a facelift front and rear I really can't see the point of spending several grand to get something I already have virtually. Like you, a set of 19" shadow chrome alloys would look good.... and maybe a good session with a detailer to iron out a (very) few body blemishes.

Stick with what you know - if it aint broke, dont mend it, as they say! Thumbs Up 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #151617 19th Aug 2012 6:28 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Bear in mind that your car is five years old, so there will be odd things like less support in the driver's seat, paint scratches, maybe the occasional failure - mine is the same age and I've recently had to sort, under Select Warranty, a failed horn, steering about to seize, seized rear wiper. If you can live with little things like that, modern cars (even Land Rovers) seem to give a reasonable service until about 10 years old, when electrics start to give out, pipework rusts through, rads block up, that sort of thing. Basically, once it gets to the point where Land Rover will no longer give it an extended warranty it's probably time to get rid. But until then, if you like the car, why change. Tbh, if I won the Lottery tomorrow I wouldn't bother to change my 07 GS, because it does all I want it to.

Post #151628 19th Aug 2012 7:13 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

All seems to be going the way I was thinking, I am not worried about re-sale values and spending a bit of cash on it does not worry me about what I might get back. I do it for my own enjoyment.

Modifying cars is always tricking when incomes to selling on if you do it wrong. I have modified every car I have owned, nut only using parts from the manufacturer. Just like my FL2, you guys know it is modified to a pretty high extent. But to Mr Average on the street, it just looks like a nice example of an FL2. Even the guy I met from LR said it looked like one of the best FL2's he has seen.

Past master wrote:
Bear in mind that your car is five years old, so there will be odd things like less support in the driver's seat, paint scratches, maybe the occasional failure - mine is the same age and I've recently had to sort, under Select Warranty, a failed horn, steering about to seize, seized rear wiper. If you can live with little things like that, modern cars (even Land Rovers) seem to give a reasonable service until about 10 years old, when electrics start to give out, pipework rusts through, rads block up, that sort of thing. Basically, once it gets to the point where Land Rover will no longer give it an extended warranty it's probably time to get rid. But until then, if you like the car, why change. Tbh, if I won the Lottery tomorrow I wouldn't bother to change my 07 GS, because it does all I want it to.

It has not got one swirl mark, let alone any scratches! I know what you mean about the seat not feeling as tight as it did when new.

So this will be sorted, I sat in a 12 reg whilst hear and the drivers seat does feel tighter. So I am ordering a new driver seat base foam when I get back, so that will solve that one. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #151658 20th Aug 2012 7:41 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Keep it
Get a set of 17" wheels, fit good quality AT tyres. Underbody protection, roof bars and roof tent, whip out the back seats, buy a compressor fridge, and a bunch of flowers for SWMBO.

Take a guided trip through Morrocco and onto the Sahara. There are several companies doing a very good job - but find out how many others are on the trip, half a dozen vehicles is good.

To be honest you can leave the seats in if SWMBO dooesn't want a shower every day - even in the desert Surprised - water is bulky and heavy.
The tent can be sold for around 70% of new purchase price if you decide it's not for you, I wish I had kept mine Sad
The tyres and underbody protection are always a good idea, and the fridge still sees use half a dozen times a year. The flowers won't last, but the brownie points do. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #151659 20th Aug 2012 7:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>