Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Questionable reliability?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nigel207

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red
Questionable reliability?

Hi all,

I've come across from the dark side (Disco4) to post on here. It's a question about the FL2 reliability. My sister has recently got rid of a 57-plate FL2 GS after having auto gearbox problems followed by the ABS control module needing replacement. According to the Independent that we use, it's not the first of these modules that they've replaced.

Today, my father has learned that he needs a new rear diff on his 2009 FL2 HSE auto at 31,000 miles. Now bear in mind that he's owned it from new, is pretty gentle with it, and only very occasionally tows a caravan grossing at 1170kg. I have no doubt that LR will wash their hands of it (as they always do), but this really is pathetic. Prior to the FL2 he had a FL1 Td4 (again from new), which in the seven years he had it needed a new alternator and an intercooler hose. My brother-in-law who bought it from him (in 2009) has had to have a new battery and a headlight bulb. And the FL2 is supposedly more reliable??????????

Are these common faults?

Post #151120 14th Aug 2012 2:38 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Hi Nigel,

certainly the diff and the auto gearbox problems crop up on the forum, more so the diff.

not really noticed ABS problems, but I stand to be corrected.

Iain

Post #151126 14th Aug 2012 3:49 pm
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

Dunno about the ABS or the diff, but the auto-gearbox is supposed to be very robust/reliable.

(27k, including 'van towing, and no faults yet) Thumbs Up Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #151136 14th Aug 2012 6:44 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

"My brother-in-law who bought it from him (in 2009) has had to have a new battery and a headlight bulb. And the FL2 is supposedly more reliable??????????"

I was taking the post seriously until I arrived at this bit Laughing Are you really suggesting that a dead battery and a headlamp bulb in a 3 year old car is unreasonable?

Post #151137 14th Aug 2012 7:16 pm
nigel207

Tigger wrote:
"My brother-in-law who bought it from him (in 2009) has had to have a new battery and a headlight bulb. And the FL2 is supposedly more reliable??????????"

I was taking the post seriously until I arrived at this bit Laughing Are you really suggesting that a dead battery and a headlamp bulb in a 3 year old car is unreasonable?

No, those were on the old car, so it was actually the best part of ten years old on the original battery! So what I was saying that in our experience, the old (and often slated) model is actually much more reliable than its modern counterpart. Wink Wink

Post #151138 14th Aug 2012 7:36 pm
Bugblatter

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:

I think what he means is that the FL1 ONLY had a bulb and a battery replaced and was therefore reliable despite having a reputation for not being so. 2013 RR Evoque Pure Tech
2012 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey - gone

Post #151139 14th Aug 2012 7:37 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Oh yes, silly me! Rolling Eyes

To restore the faith a little bit, I've had one unscheduled visit to the dealer, in 13 1/2 months and 44,500 miles (!) that I've been driving my 2011 FL2, to reinstall the climate control software; it took about 20 minutes.

Other than that, it's been 100% reliable.

Post #151141 14th Aug 2012 7:45 pm
ad210358

England 

Had the Diff Bearings done at 21k and a new Battery at 22k all under warranty, now coming up to 27k, no other problems. Will need new boots soon, Contis don't wear as well as Wranglers.

Post #151142 14th Aug 2012 8:09 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

On our 5th freelander (had 3 FL1 and 2 FL2). Overall all been very reliable. the only major thing ever needed was a new IRD unit in our first FL1; under warranty. Last FL2 was 5 years old when we got rid (50% retained value too) and had had nothing wrong with it apart from stiff gear linkage which was sorted under warranty when first bought.
I would not hesitate to buy another - they have been the most reliable cars we have owned. We had 3 Discoverys before that which werent bad either in reliability terms but not as good a the FLs.

Post #151152 14th Aug 2012 11:05 pm
EYorkshire

While it's frustrating and annoying to have a car that's not very reliable you cannot condemn a brand as unreliable because of your experience. It may well drive you away to another manufacturer, and you will take pot luck in what 'camp' you fall into.
There's no answer with leading brands, it's a matter of chance what you end up with. We have one member on here that likes to remind us daily of his sh Censored ty Freelander and the majority of us are bemused by his rantings, as it's alien to us.
BTW, 18 months and 25,000 miles with no problems Thumbs Up ........... yet

Post #151157 15th Aug 2012 6:59 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

there was something on here last week about an software update for auto boxes to stop the box failing prematurley look for it i think alex pescaru was the author sorry if i spelt the name wrong alex Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #151160 15th Aug 2012 7:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

EYorkshire wrote:
While it's frustrating and annoying to have a car that's not very reliable you cannot condemn a brand as unreliable because of your experience. It may well drive you away to another manufacturer, and you will take pot luck in what 'camp' you fall into.
There's no answer with leading brands, it's a matter of chance what you end up with. We have one member on here that likes to remind us daily of his sh Censored ty Freelander and the majority of us are bemused by his rantings, as it's alien to us.

The only vehicles I can speak of are the two that have been experienced. We know LR products well, having had a succession since the early 1970's. Indeed, I changed from a D3 to a D4 earlier this year because of constant niggles with the D3 and my heart being in my mouth each time I went out in it. Why did I go for a D4? Because there's nothing on the market that is as competent all round for what I want. It too is supposed to be a vast improvement on the D3 reliability wise (there, I've done it now).

I was speaking to a couple of LR test drivers at MIRA a little while ago, and one of the things that I was told was "they're getting better". My response was, "you've been saying that since 1948, but so far the evidence contradicts that".

I am not branding LR as being unreliable generally, I just asked the question regarding the issues that my family members have had.

Like you, at 18 months and 25,000 miles, my Dad's car was faultless, as it was at 40 months and 30,000 miles. But, at 41 months and 31,000 miles it needs £2,000 (ish) spending on it for a replacement rear diff, which quite honestly is appalling. And it seems from previous posts that it's not uncommon.

Post #151183 15th Aug 2012 12:07 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

Mine has just this very minute clicked onto 100,000 miles. Had the rear dif' bearings done at approx 70,000, the clutch at 90,000 and apart from my recent issues where I needed a new MAF sensor the n/s drive shaft is being done at the moment (I did hit a rock rather hard a few weeks back and split the sidewall of the tyre so this may not even be wear related)

Other than this it's been tyres, pads and recent rear discs/hand brake shoes

It's been very reliable and I do mild off roading on occasions too Thumbs Up

Post #151184 15th Aug 2012 12:53 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand

nigel207 wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:

The only vehicles I can speak of are the two that have been experienced. We know LR products well, having had a succession since the early 1970's. Indeed, I changed from a D3 to a D4 earlier this year because of constant niggles with the D3 and my heart being in my mouth each time I went out in it. Why did I go for a D4? Because there's nothing on the market that is as competent all round for what I want. It too is supposed to be a vast improvement on the D3 reliability wise (there, I've done it now).

I was speaking to a couple of LR test drivers at MIRA a little while ago, and one of the things that I was told was "they're getting better". My response was, "you've been saying that since 1948, but so far the evidence contradicts that".

I am not branding LR as being unreliable generally, I just asked the question regarding the issues that my family members have had.

Like you, at 18 months and 25,000 miles, my Dad's car was faultless, as it was at 40 months and 30,000 miles. But, at 41 months and 31,000 miles it needs £2,000 (ish) spending on it for a replacement rear diff, which quite honestly is appalling. And it seems from previous posts that it's not uncommon.

They (LR) should offer to do bearings only at approx £500 as they did with me......surely??

Post #151186 15th Aug 2012 12:55 pm
alex_pescaru

Reliability is, in my opinion, in the eye of the beholder, like beauty for example...
What I am trying to say?
Let's take the whining steering.
If you are a little technical inclined and have the proper experience and info and you know from where to source good and less expensive parts, you'll change the fluid reservoir yourself. A job that will be around few minutes. And you'll enjoy the car again. Reliable? It could be said that yes. And add there the joy/feeling of a good job done by yourself.
If you're not so good with tools, you'll get the car to the dealer that will diagnose (or not) properly the cause of the whine, order the part, go another time to the dealer when parts arrive, have it replaced, etc.
Lots of time (and money) lost and frustration... Reliable? Hell, no!
So....

PS:
They said, in the old days, that one definition of a Defender was "The car that turns any driver into a mechanic."
Ask any old Defender owner how was/is his car. Reliable or no?
Even if they (the cars) need a lot of attention, because of the joy/love of owning and repairing one by yourself any owner will say: Reliable!
The cars are like women. Learn to read/listen and please them way ahead they'll have the chance to be upset and you'll live a happy life together... Laughing

Post #151197 15th Aug 2012 3:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>