Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > EMERGENCY TYRE CHANGE..........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey
EMERGENCY TYRE CHANGE..........

is it ok to drive on a brand new spare,....and a opposite tyre at 6mm,,,thats done 6000miles,,,just had a tyre slashed by driving over a bent up post cover in the delivery bay at tesco,,,,totally slashed the tyre and a masive bang, Evil or Very Mad i need to drive 200miles in morning, Big Cry from s.wales to southhampton... :and without a spare i know is a risk,,but i got to take it,,,as going on a crusie Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #145210 8th Jun 2012 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

What's the new tread depth? 8mm Question

Post #145211 8th Jun 2012 8:55 pm
gilfishman

yes,,,,,brand new full size alloy and same make tyre,,,goodyear wrangler 17 inch std gs ones Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Post #145212 8th Jun 2012 8:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

go for it, should have no problems. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #145214 8th Jun 2012 9:05 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I've driven back from Scotland with similar difference in tyres tread

Enjoy the cruise Thumbs Up

Post #145216 8th Jun 2012 9:11 pm
gilfishman

thanks cg,npinks.....every little helps,,,, Thumbs Up tesco didnt want to know,,come home phoned head office in dundee,told them,,,and said to go back there ,as they should have filled a accident form in,..its a cover over where they fit a shinney post in,but never seen them in,one other cover is missing,and the one i drove over was flat down but bent up half way,and above tarmac about40mm,my wife stod on it and it wouldnt go down,,,i know it a del bay but every one parks there as carpark for this metro tesco is way to small and u cant park on main road as got double yellows,...tesco own all the other land there and should have made carpark bigger,but are selling it to kfc but local people are fighting it living behined there,...so looking for a new tyre when i get back,goodyear wrangler 17inch.tesco said they will get back to me in 14 days. Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Post #145220 8th Jun 2012 9:28 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

All fine don't worry about it...my Leon is running a 3mm difference on the rear axle, and the tyres are different makes and all's fine Thumbs Up Our FL had a 3mm difference for a while also (until I got another boody puncture!) Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #145275 9th Jun 2012 5:03 pm
Albert E

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

A good rule to have for a happy life is never ever go to Tesco's, or read the Daily Mail! I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

Post #149537 26th Jul 2012 10:04 pm
athelstan

Albert E wrote:
A good rule to have for a happy life is never ever go to Tesco's, or read the Daily Mail!

If I may add - The Daily Telegraph, The Times, The Sun, The Star, The Mirror, The Express (is it still published?), and don't ruin your Sunday by reading a newspaper - get out and enjoy the real world around you. And give all those TV news channels and soap operas the elbow.

Instead, go to the Theatre and to a genuine Opera. The living breathing real world is always the best experience and conducive to good health and well-being Thumbs Up

Post #149551 27th Jul 2012 7:40 am
jc74

Albert E wrote:
A good rule to have for a happy life is never ever go to Tesco's, or read the Daily Mail!

Argh, just popped to Tesco and bought enough stuff to get 50p per litre off fuel. Then got a puncture in car park... 3rd puncture within 13,000 miles. Argh - most expensive trip ever to get 50p off per litre on a tank!

Couple of questions...

From a previous puncture I decided to buy a budget (no brand) tyre from Kwik fit and use it as an emergency spare.

Anyway, having just had the puncture this morning and being the 3rd one in a short space of time, any thoughts of just getting it repaired (this one looks repairable since it's a screw which is still stuck in and no complete deflation of the tyre), and using the repaired tyre as the emergency spare?

Also, anyone with good or bad experience of running budget (New not remould/refurb!) tyres? - If they simply wear out quicker then I'm not bothered since knowing my luck it'll be punctured before it wears out!....

Post #149559 27th Jul 2012 9:05 am
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'd have a repaired premium tyre over new budget anyday.

Friend of mine works for a premium tyre company and I've seen some of the testing they do against well-known budget tyres. The difference is basically a case of do you actually want to stop before you run the kid over who's run into the road for his ball!?

In the wet it's really quite alarming. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #149788 30th Jul 2012 1:16 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

As long as the hole is in the main tread area then it can be plugged although I have had a tyre dealer try to flog new before now.

I had a car from new for 2 1/2 years and when inspecting prior to trading in I found one of the tyres was plugged. Never had a flat or new tyres in the entire time so it had been supplied by F**d like it and never was an issue. A bit peeved but not a lot to do about it. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #149985 31st Jul 2012 11:27 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Nothing wrong with a properly done repair. A good tyre man will tell you if it can't be repaired. Make sure the wheel is rebalanced as the weight or position of the tyre may have changed slightly. Some very high performance tyres can't be repaired, but they don't fit them to FR2s.

Post #150078 1st Aug 2012 10:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1