Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Cat removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
frans@yamorna

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
Cat removal

Hi,
Has anyone removed the Cat on their FL2 SD4?What was the results?On D3 one gets improved throttle response.We have no MOT type checks in our country and no DPF's....only 500ppm diesel(50ppm not freely available),so the Cat can block.Anybody done it?
Thanks,Frans 2008 FL 2 TD4 SE A/T
2006 D3 tdv6 SE A/T
Renault8 Gordini

Post #135812 12th Mar 2012 2:15 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I doubt if you will find people on here who have removed the cat on a Freelander 2 due to our new MOT rules which state it has to be there if the manufacturer fitted one from new. The same goes for the DPF but luckily you don't have one.

However, that is not the main problem with using 500ppm diesel in a modern engine. It is the build up of crud through the EGR valve and the effect it has on the oil which will need to be changed more often. Modern diesel engines were not designed to be run on "truck" diesel! John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #135817 12th Mar 2012 2:47 pm
David T

South Africa 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White
Removal of CAT on Freelander 2

Hi Frans, My Friend in Cape Town has had his Freelanders CAT removed. They removed the header pipe cut open the CAT, removed the inside and welded it closed again, so you cannot see that the CAT has been removed. He says it goes much better and is lighter on fuel. Does the Sasol garage just outside Tzaneen on the way to Magoebas not have 50ppm diesel?

Post #148506 13th Jul 2012 8:34 pm
dewaldb

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver

The increase in power is worth the effort. Consumtion is suposed to be better but with the vehicle pulling better than ever....... dont regret the mod though. Mine is a manual, David wil have his done soon and advise on the difference on a auto box......

Post #148709 16th Jul 2012 12:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moondog

South Africa 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Indus Silver

dewaldb wrote:
The increase in power is worth the effort. Consumtion is suposed to be better but with the vehicle pulling better than ever....... dont regret the mod though. Mine is a manual, David wil have his done soon and advise on the difference on a auto box......

I hope that you at least wait until the 5yr, 100,000km maintenance plan is over before doing something like this - or it may cost you a lot more than the few litres of fuel that you save.

BTW, Sasol garages only sell 50ppm

Last edited by Moondog on 17th Jul 2012 5:37 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #148734 16th Jul 2012 5:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

JST wrote:
I doubt if you will find people on here who have removed the cat on a Freelander 2 due to our new MOT rules which state it has to be there if the manufacturer fitted one from new.

Good job that they don't check bikes eh John Laughing The 'prillers are somewhere in the garage, and on young James' SV some green tree hugging japanese save the polar bear loving enginereer thought that an interference press fit was the way to go...... that Censored took tenacity ,an angle grinder, core drill, and a reprocating saw Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #148753 16th Jul 2012 8:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Really, really unhappy about Cat removal.

It's there for a damn good reason and I don't see any good reason why anyone should have to breath in the unfiltered poisons that the Cat would have otherwise removed.

Post #148841 17th Jul 2012 9:50 pm
frans@yamorna

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi David,
Thanks for the info.Yes,the Sasol has 50ppm.
The problem in South Africa with the cat is that 50ppm diesel,which is our best,is not freely available.The 500ppm or truck diesel is freely available.When the cat block on a diesel there is no warning light and you can lose your turbo through overheating.This blocking happens gradually so is difficult to detect.A cat needs clean fuel to operate,it can not clean dirty fuel!!! 2008 FL 2 TD4 SE A/T
2006 D3 tdv6 SE A/T
Renault8 Gordini

Post #148871 18th Jul 2012 8:12 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1