« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Tailgate release
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
fastbuck

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Tailgate release

I have read a number of threads about tailgate release switches "furring up" and the problems that are caused. That may well be the reason for my (slightly different) problem, Previously, unlocking with the remote unlocked all the doors and the tailgate, then one day the tailgate didn't unlock. It can still be unlocked with the tailgate button on the remote, so no great hardship, but I wondered whether anyone else had experience of this?

Post #148286 10th Jul 2012 2:43 pm
EYorkshire

It will still be the tailgate switch contact affected by water. The remote opening of the doors and tailgate UNLOCKS only (hand needed to press switch to open), whereas the remote tailgate opening UNLOCKS and OPENS the tailgate (pull up anywhere to open).
Hope that makes sense Smile

Post #148288 10th Jul 2012 3:08 pm
autodents

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

remove the tailgate handle and the the rubber that covers it,clean it and try that if still doesnt work strip a small amount of insulation back from the two wires comming from the switch plug it back in and then connect the two wires either by holding together or with a small piece of wire/metal this will do what the switch is meant to do,if you hear the release working then you prob have a broken wire behind the switch......i had the exact same issue and found that one of the wires was broken at the switch...if it is broken at the switch you will need to dig out all the bonding that insulates the switch..bit of a headach but a reasonable easy and cheap fix.

Post #148372 11th Jul 2012 9:16 pm
fastbuck

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for all the advice - if it ever stops raining down here, I'll give it a go.
Just an update - it was an easy job, cleaned white deposit from everything (not too much), but it didn't solve the problem. A £23 switch from the dealers cured it!

Post #148380 11th Jul 2012 10:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1