Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fire Extinguisher
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

i believe the fixing points for it is on the raised bit below the passenger seat, were the floor mat ends and the seat begins, there there on the LRE vehicles Thumbs Up

Post #147636 4th Jul 2012 10:28 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Official MSA regulations for a Rally car handheld: Minimum of 1.75 litre AFFF.
These are readily available from any Motorsport dealer and come with secure mounting brackets which withstand cars competing at high speeds in forrest.

About £40.00 All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #147638 4th Jul 2012 10:42 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Bought one from Tesco's, was about £9.99 IIRC ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147677 4th Jul 2012 5:50 pm
robheath

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Indus Silver

Hi athelstan,
This sound like a sensible and practical place to mount an extinguisher-I have once seen a car fire and there was no time to retrieve anything from the boot. Is it possible to post a picture please? Did you have cut any fabric to mount it on the seat frame?
Thanks Rob

Post #147681 4th Jul 2012 6:13 pm
athelstan

robheath
You do not have to cut any fabric or leather seating. If I ask my daughter nicely at breakfast tomorrow she may - just may (she's fed-up with her dad not taking pictures - true I don't) take a picture of the installation. I'll do my best - promise of chocolate should do it - I hope Smile

Watch this space.

Post #147689 4th Jul 2012 7:30 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

I would advise against using clips as in #3 as after/if your vehicle has a heavy impact or rolls firstly the extingusher comes out of the clips and connot be found unless it hits you on the back of your head, but it will often self deploy when it hits the dash or simular hard object - stops the inside of the car burning but not much good otherwise as you cannot see very well and the dry powder does not taste very nice.

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #147704 4th Jul 2012 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

Pictures of Installation

robheath
Thanks to my daughter here are three pictures of the installation behind the drivers seat (LH drive) but could go in same position on front passenger seat frame.

The fire extinguisher came with its own mounting frame which consists of a black plastic base (provides a smooth surface to glide across the foot mats) and a spine (retains the FE's upright stance) with two pre drilled holes (not used) for the normal wall or panel mounting. This frame is retained to provide support to the "SIGG" red thermal jacket, after which the FE is placed inside.

This "package" is held in place by the use of 40cm long black band of industrial strength velcro that is wrapped around the package and then firstly threaded under & over the black gloss painted lower rear horizontal metal seat frame, and finally around the rear seat upright that's connected to the seat's slider rail. It is essential to apply the maximum tension to the velcro band as failure to do so will induce slack as the seat position is changed between drivers and the FE will tip from the perpendicular to the horizontal. Most unseemly. Get the tension right and the FE remains at all times upright. Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This installation requires no invasive physical alterations to the car's structures, and, most importantly it ensures that in an emergency the FE is easily within reach of all occupants being swiftly removed with a simple upward pull on the FE's locked handle. Remove yellow locking pin and away she blows. Shocked

On a final note; our village fireman told me a long time ago that you should vigorously shake the FE every month and dispose of it after 5yrs if not used. I've never verified that advise with any knowledgeable third party - just taken it on trust. If anyone agrees or disagrees do let me know.

Post #147738 5th Jul 2012 10:16 am
robheath

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Indus Silver

athelstan
That's a really neat solution, thanks for the photos and comprehensive explaination. I shall work on something similiar.
Regards Rob

Post #147795 5th Jul 2012 9:58 pm
2freel2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Felt i had to respond to this post and tell you all a recent experience of mine.

As recently as mid May i was attending a wedding in Shipley, West Yorks. On my way to the reception venue to drop off the car pre wedding i was driving up a hill near the town centre and saw a car come down the hill with something under it.

Took three glances to beat the astonishment and see there was something on fire underneath the car. I flashed the lights and honked the horn to try to stop them but they were oblivious. As we were travelling slowly round town i pulled across in front of the car much to the drivers horror. They stopped, my girlfriend ran round to tell them to get out of the car and i grabbed the halfords dry powder fire extinguisher from the boot and it did a mighty fine job of putting the fire out underneath.

Turns out the car had been serviced that morning and an oily rag had been left round the exhaust just below the engine. Now this is mechanics incompetence and i imagine very rare but the extinguisher did what it was supposed to and i reckon it probably saved far worse damage to the engine and electrics.

My girlfriend went out and bought one the next day to put in her car. I do think we could all go overboard with all the spares and extras we carry in our cars but a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher really could help someone maybe not just yourself.

Post #147810 5th Jul 2012 11:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

2freel2 wrote:

Turns out the car had been serviced that morning and an oily rag had been left round the exhaust just below the engine. Now this is mechanics incompetence and i imagine very rare .

Not that rare - happened to one of our Transits after servicing by main dealer. Oily rag left on top of petrol engine. Smouldering nicely but luckily I noticed it. The vehicle was a school minibus!!!

Post #147930 6th Jul 2012 10:55 pm
seagull1

Does anyone know if you can still use BCF (green) extinguishers as I've been told some types are band for general use like Halon etc.
BCF is good I put out a lorry engine fire with a 1.5 kg, well till mr plod told the driver to start the engine to uncouple the trailer!

Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #147978 7th Jul 2012 5:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
seagull1

May have answerd this one myself, I googled it and BCF is also know as Halon.
So how do you dispose of old BCF extinguishers?

Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #148063 8th Jul 2012 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12