Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > NANKANG tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm using Nokian WR2's and a fantastic tyre they are too.
I've got a set of Mich Latitude Tour in the garage and to be honest i'm not bothered about putting them on. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #145535 12th Jun 2012 10:18 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Years back there were some very iffy tyres on the market hailing from the Eastern block and Asia, but things have changed and regulations have been introduced. Some dodgy tyre makers were bought out by western manufactures and others went by the board. I am old enough to remember when Vredstein was regarded by many as a dodgy tyre. As a young lad I also remember buying cheap "Pneu" remould tyres that after a few miles did a passable impression of an old threepenny bit (youngsters go google).

Tyre retailers in the UK would nowadays be risking their neck (as well as ours) if they sold tyres that were in any way dodgy or did not meet regulatory requirements. Consequently there are many makes out there which are cheap, non fashionable but nevertheless safe to use. I currently use Kumhos which perform well, handle fine, run quietly and are wearing well. A few years ago Kumhos would have been treated with suspicion but is now a recognised decent tyre. Why would I pay £200 for a tyre when a £100 tyre performs perfectly well? I would be quite happy to try Nangkang tyres.

High performance cars driven hard need high performance tyres but the FL2 is not one of these (unless maybe you have the petrol version) so as long as the tyre meets spec and you are not a tyre "snob" why pay the extra?

Just my fourpenniesworth.... John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #145550 13th Jun 2012 9:17 am
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

Changed mine last year from Goodyear to Kumhos from £168ea to £90ea fitted. Done over 20,000ml now and can't tell any different, if anything the Kumho is better in the wet.

Post #145551 13th Jun 2012 9:40 am
mojo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

As on a budget last time I had to change 2 tyres on our other car, switched from Continentals which I had always had to Matadors. Matador are owned by Continental so thought worth a go. Performance is fine but I don't think they handle as well and wish I'd just spent the extra to get what I usually have. False economy I think the phrase is... Also read a tyre test in Evo a few months back which basically summed up why you should buy good tyres, the cheap ones took something like an extra 2 car lengths to come to a stop when braking hard.....potentially the difference between having an accident and not having one.

Post #145756 14th Jun 2012 10:42 pm
ad210358

England 

With the risk of getting comments from the same few Yawn members there was recently a lot of concern over Matador tyres, they were fitted on a well known van made in Hull, they had lots of tyre failures, it is well documented on a number of forums Question

Post #145792 15th Jun 2012 5:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

they must be unsafe at low speeds then Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #145793 15th Jun 2012 5:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12