Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > pfjones dedicated 13pin towbar wiring problem/fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
c.kempy

pfjones dedicated 13pin towbar wiring problem/fault

Hi has anyone else experienced this problem with the pfjones 13pin dedicated wiring loom?
The centre part of the socket pushes into the socket when you insert the plug so connection is not made. This in turn trips the trailer control module, meaning all the boot trim has to come off to disconect it to reset it. The socket is a very poor design.

My loom is only two months old and has worked fine so far. On friday we went to pick the caravan up from storage only to find we had no driving lights or power to the caravan.
To be fair PFJONES tried to help me diagnose this exact problem over the phone, so they know about it, but i did not have any tools with me. The result was we had to return home and could not have our weekend away.
A word of advice do not refit the two D ring lashing points on the left side of the boot incase you need to access the trailer control module.

Last edited by c.kempy on 3rd Jun 2012 10:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #144787 3rd Jun 2012 2:23 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Intersting - Ive recently installed a 13pin socket, loom and control box from PJ Jones onto my 2011 FL2. I didnt have to remove any side trim except for that little tidy box thing on the left next to the removable boot floor (there is one on the right too). All connections were made behind this little box thing. Attaching the towbar was much harder.
When I did my first FL2 I had to get behind the LH side trim and reach connections there, so presuminably later FL2s have updated rear looms.

The socket works fine with my trailor, but not tried a caravan.

Post #144825 3rd Jun 2012 6:12 pm
c.kempy

Hi i followed the fitting instructions exactly. This stated using a earthing stud already being used by the park distance control module and siting the trailer control module on the side, both behind the panel. In hind sight it may have been a better idea to site the trailer control module where you have. Then again i did not expect to need to get to it due to a broken socket that trips it.

Post #144846 3rd Jun 2012 10:56 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

i have 13 pin socket fitted by Landrover and its the only thing that's been reliable ! no problems at all Very Happy

Post #144867 4th Jun 2012 11:19 am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Had a problem today with the 13 pin wiring kit from PF Jones.
Second trip out since fitting and today for no apparent reason the caravan lights all stopped working whilst on the way home from Scarborough.
I tested all the lights before we set off and they were all working correctly.
But then on the journey home I noticed the trailer indicator repeater flasher wasn't Neutral and the side lights didn't come on when I switched on the FL2 side lights.
Needless to say the boot was stuffed full of caravaning gear and it was pouring down. But the thought of battling along the A64 with no rear lights was enough for me to stop, turf out all the gear and investigate.
Fortunately, like Jules, I mounted the relay unit just behind the small tidy box affair and using the rear D ring lashing point as an earth.
None of the fuses in the fuse box, or the two built into the dedicated wiring loom had blown. The permanent live for the ALKO ATC was still live and the relay feed for the fridge was also working.
Checked the harness connector where the kit plugs into the existing FL2 loom and it was fine.
But when I tapped the relay unit, it clicked and the lights came back on.
Worked fine for about another hour then same problem again. Another tap got it working again and got us home.
I've emailed them this evening seeking advice and/or a replacement relay.
Wondering now if the fault could be linked to the poor socket design. It seems a bit of a struggle to get the plug to engage correctly and twist to lock. Although the fact that the relay clicked when I tapped it makes me suspect a dodgy trailer control unit.

On a separate subject I have to say how well mannered I have found the FL2 to be whilst towing. We downsized from a Disco 3 and I was apprehensive about how the FL2 would cope as a tow tug. You can tell the caravan is there more with the FL2 than the Disco (probably not surprising given the weight difference) but still very impressive and sure footed.

Post #145213 8th Jun 2012 9:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1