Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Glow plugs - different operation when DPF equipped?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Moo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Glow plugs - different operation when DPF equipped?

I have a 2007 TD4, which does not have a diesel particulate filter. The operation of the glow plugs on these is automatic and having pressed 'start' the car should determine whether the temperature is low enough to warrant delaying the cranking of the engine until the glow plugs have operated for a few seconds. In my experience, there is rarely any significant delay until the temperature drops below zero degrees.

When the temperature is below 5 degrees, this often means that the car 'barks' into life, with a small puff of smoke and sometimes some slightly rough running for a second or two. If the car had a DPF, this puff of smoke and presumably some partially burned fuel would contribute to clogging the filter.

If I compare this to my company car (2011 VW Golf 2.0 TDi, with DPF), this behaves quite differently. Even at temperatures of between 10 and 5 degrees, where I'm certain the car would start easily without pre-heating, you physically cannot crank the engine until the glow plug warning light has gone out, which takes a couple of seconds. Presumably, this is to ensure that each cold start is as 'clean' as possible, thus minimising the soot and cack that gets dumped into the DPF.

My question is whether the newer DPF equipped FL2's have been set up to introduce some element of glowplug delay in milder conditions (say between 10 and 2 degrees celcius). In very cold conditions, I do press 'start' without depressing the clutch, in order to persuade the glowplugs to come on for a decent length of time. If I don't, the first start of the day is pretty rough, as the car doesn't seem to want to allow the glowplugs to heat up enough before it starts cranking.

Post #125453 31st Dec 2011 9:27 am
stuarts the man

I thought all fl2 diesel models came with a dpf

Post #125627 1st Jan 2012 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

stuarts the man wrote:

Thankfully not - only from MY10 I believe. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #125647 1st Jan 2012 1:40 pm
EYorkshire

This is the standard operation, DPF or not. Dependent upon auto or manual, operate brake or clutch, insert fob, press start button and delay will come into play if necessary.
Courtesy of Alex Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #125724 1st Jan 2012 6:08 pm
Mr Moo

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for that East Yorks. Bit confused by the 'maximum cranking times', as it shows zero for 5+ degrees, which would mean that the engine wouldn't crank at all! Presume the timings actually refer to the length of time that the glowplugs will operate for, prior to the engine cranking.

Post #125770 2nd Jan 2012 7:35 am
EYorkshire

Yes, they have worded it in a confusing way Confused but as you say, delay before crank.

Post #125785 2nd Jan 2012 10:51 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

stuarts the man wrote:

Only the facelift versions from around Sept 2010 onwards (different front fogs and a chrome full width strip on the back)

Post #125808 2nd Jan 2012 12:22 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Just read this post and it's an interesting point as my 2011 model does seem to have a delayed start even though it hasn't been that cold recently. I have also noticed that there is no glow plug icon in the instrument display.

Post #143537 19th May 2012 7:26 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Acording to Marshalls the early models (ie mine!) don't have the automatic delay. But they're a Land Rover dealer, so what do they know???

Post #143551 19th May 2012 10:41 pm
ad210358

England 

Noticed on mine also there is no glow plug light but there was on my 07 model, now I just get a slight delay depending on how cold it is, and a message of "System Check" then it cranks and starts.

Post #143553 20th May 2012 12:36 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1