Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > The DAB question...again...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Bugblatter... I agree. Nothing like Planet Rock for cooking to... and yes ... only available on DAB (& t'internet?) ...

so no joy for me in my SD4 (with LR option LR16334578 - built-in record player, with sixpence sellotaped to tonearm to prevent skipping when off-road... Very Happy ) ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #140373 20th Apr 2012 12:35 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Past master wrote:
chrisdeeming wrote:
wouldn't bother with it myself I don't think its that great anyway.. fm is fine Very Happy or cd's! mp3!

That's OK until they switch the FM off completely. Like the TVs. Won't be long now.

Or maybe not. Seems there's another government U-turn. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...te-FM.html

I'm been campaining the government for some time now on this very matter purely from a quality of sound point of view.
DAB is fine in cars and small radio sets, but put a tuner in a decent Hi Fi and it's dreadful when compared to FM. Even some of the bit rates broadcast by the Beeb have already been reduced.
Radio 5 and 4X are mono, radio 3 and Planet rock have had reduced bit rates.
As more digital stations become available, bit rates will probably be reduced to make room.
The sound quailty is much better on Freeview than DAB.

I can't see why we should FM turned off, there arn't any moving parts to wear out so it could go on forever.

The last Government were hell bent on turning FM off; I had emails from the Culture Minister and they wer'nt at all interested in sound quality let alone millions of redundant radios.
Think they are more intersested in raising revenue! Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #140375 20th Apr 2012 12:42 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Agree... I have a DAB/FM tuner in my hifi and never use the DAB setting. I only use DAB in the kitchen on a portable radio.
I'm with you pegleg - I am after good SQ. Unfortunately other factors (freeing up bandwidth, allocating it out at vast fees, pandering to the cloth-eared generation etc...) take precedence.

Don't get me started on the unavailability (in UK) of decent download formats (ie FLAC)... Mad ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #140377 20th Apr 2012 12:46 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

On the mini HiFi it is rather prone to bubbling yet on the portable (an original Evoke Marshall edition of course Very Happy with matching extension speaker) it is clear as a bell.

Having said I had no problems on Wednesday had one dropout. Soon came back though. Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #140384 20th Apr 2012 1:57 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123