Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2013 MY Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

How has a discussion about the new fl3 turned into a fuel consumption argument?

For me the idea of an fl3 with new toys is great news. If you want boring reliability by Japanese but expect to get the same tech as yesteryear!

As for driving a Prius - I would rather walk... Seriously - I can't imagine a more soul destroying car; but then I like cars. The fact of the matter is despite petrol prices going up, thirsty cars will still be driven as people will want too - even if they cannot afford it. Look at cigerettes - they are now a silly price and typically it is those who are not so well off who smoke!!

Any way who said the fl2 was that bad on mpg in the real world?? Yes it is not the best but then not all of the competition can put out 400 torques and will pull like a train at 1500 rpm. Also you have to remember that not all of the claimed figures for the new generation diesel are actually achievable and if anything driven in the real world they never achieve their claimed mpg.

Either way I'm looking forward to an Si4 fl3 with dual view satnav, rotary auto with flappy padals, a hdd stereo and revised dash layout with twinkly LEDs on the outside. If it only does 25mpg, will I care? Maybe, but then if I did I would just walk!!!!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #133896 28th Feb 2012 10:48 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

My 07 manual has the best MPG of any car I have ever owned, with the possible exception of the mini-van, but that wouldn't get above 40 and used, rather oddly, a gallon of petrol an hour, speed immaterial! That's best of 14 if memory serves. Worst was the Cherokee, with MPG in single figures by the time I got rid. Fantastic accel though!

Post #133900 28th Feb 2012 10:54 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Mav71 wrote:
landy19840 wrote:
A decent petrol option would be good too!

There are strong rumours the 2.0 Si4 will be available.

Spoke to a dealer today who confirmed this is the plan but is now delayed to the petrol Evoque being so popular it is taking all the engines at the moment - undoubtedly it will come though. Also stop/start is coming on the auto versions too

Post #138863 6th Apr 2012 5:01 pm
SPNRACING

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Past master wrote:
My 07 manual has the best MPG of any car I have ever owned!

Indeed, its all relative. Our 2010 HSE may only average 22MPG in London traffic but that is still more than double what our other car (300C Hemi) gets. Compared to the Chrysler the FL2 is positively frugal.

And when you buy new, depreciation makes fuel costs almost irrelevant. Far more important is whether you'll enjoy owning the car. 2010 HSE Auto in Santorini Black/almond with xenons and privacy glass.

Post #138966 7th Apr 2012 9:24 pm
richardk

Captain Worm wrote:
How has a discussion about the new fl3 turned into a fuel consumption argument?

Indeed! I'm sure there is an mpg thread as a sticky????

The facelift is coming but is more focussed around under the skin changes and some new lights. Auto stop start for auto and petrol engine from the Evoque should be appearing...and alledgely a seriously revised dash with the bling screens Smile

Post #138967 7th Apr 2012 9:42 pm
Missing Link

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Not being a great fan of bling I am quite happy with the dash layout as it is. The radio design is somewhat dated and as a separate module could quite easily have been upgraded within the existing layout. Being somewhat old fashioned I just want it to work,

I am probably in a minority here and I know there were many technical issues but I missed the lowering window of the FL1 when we bought the FL2. Never had the leaking or problems with the regulator so presumably luckier than most.

Now when in command shift the phone levers could do the gear change..... Very Happy Prog rock is cool! Smile
2012 XS SD4 Indus Silver

Post #138976 7th Apr 2012 11:18 pm
andy_duncan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

It all sounds good, but a concern I have is the price for all the trinkets and such is going to bump this 'value' car higher and higher in price.

Starting to be eye watering now - a bling fancy version will be a minimum of 5k more (see the Dicso, or FFRR for this effect)/

LR will start their cars at £30k I suspect !!! Shocked

Post #138985 8th Apr 2012 12:00 am
richardk

Having been in Evoque and D4 recently and then getting back into FL2 there's no doubt in my mind that FL2 is now looking a bit tired...internally it hasn't really been refreshed for over 6 years now..I think LR have had their money our of those designs.

Still love the FL2 but it is falling behind some of the family members. As usual the price will go up at a refresh but I think that is on the cars to make way for YetiLander.

Post #138989 8th Apr 2012 8:53 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Noticed a couple of liitle snips of RRS my13 things, but still nothing on the FL2?

Post #139111 9th Apr 2012 9:18 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

After reading through this thread again, there are some valid points. As far as reliability of the FL2 is concerned there will always be good and bad ones, but the fact is like with most manufacturers the good will always out weigh the bad.

There are extreme cases like Oldgeezers, this is of course frustrating and disappointing for the owners involved.

Then at the opposite end of the scale, I am at almost 5 years of ownership with mine, and it has proved to be perfect from a reliability point of view, and mine is one of the first batch of cars built, which normally are the ones to avoid.

As far as economy is concerned, I have to say it is better now than it ever has been, just about to hit 51000 miles and it is better now than xwhen I bought it back in August 2007.

But this does not excuse the fact they never appear to achieve the MPG as quoted by the manufacturer.

Let's hope when the new one comes out this area will be improved. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #139152 9th Apr 2012 11:39 am
11SD4

FWIW, I drove past a white 61 reg Freelander 2 today on the M40 just by Gaydon. The interesting thing was it was badged Si4. I'd gone past it before I'd thought to try and have a better look at it...

Post #139424 11th Apr 2012 9:11 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Mav71 wrote:
But this does not excuse the fact they never appear to achieve the MPG as quoted by the manufacturer.

These fuel consumption figures, like the official CO2 output figures, are completely meaningless. They are achieved in standardised, but completely unrealistic, rolling road conditions which the manufacturers specifically tune their engines to perform at their best in. Do you ever wonder why the later, stop-start equiped, cars have much better official test results yet, in real life conditions, they haven't changed one jot?

Until the methods laid down for use in these tests are changed, the results will continue to be meaningless.

Post #139425 11th Apr 2012 9:21 pm
richardk

11SD4 wrote:
FWIW, I drove past a white 61 reg Freelander 2 today on the M40 just by Gaydon. The interesting thing was it was badged Si4. I'd gone past it before I'd thought to try and have a better look at it...

Well spotted - good that the Si4 is coming although rumours are the launch is delayed..but we'll see.....

Post #139428 11th Apr 2012 9:37 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

That be a land over worker I should imagine

Post #139429 11th Apr 2012 9:47 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

11SD4 wrote:

What a good idea for all of us SD4 owners, get a hacksaw to the 'D', make it look like an 'i' and we can drive the Forum spotters mental Rolling with laughter

Post #139448 12th Apr 2012 9:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>