« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Stereo Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nutnboltcombat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Stereo Upgrade

I m waiting for my XS to come out the factory but with hindsight i should of added a stereo upgrade.

How easy is it to retro fit either the 6 disc changer or an Ipod lead and do people have the part numbers or rough costs?

I know the Ipod can be ran through the Aux socket but i prefer it not being on show and track choice accessible via the stereo/steering whl

Post #127438 14th Jan 2012 10:51 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Might as well go for the ipod connection! Its aftermarket fit only anyways!

Costs 307 although found a site that does it for 260. Not convinced myself though as the only benifit over my griffin dualconnect is using the steering wheel remotes ! Thumbs Up 

Post #127445 15th Jan 2012 2:28 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

be careful somebody on here had an after market i pod connection fitted by a reputable company made a right pigs ear of his car had to go back to the dealer for all sorts to be re set on the computer Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #127447 15th Jan 2012 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jl4

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I did a "saved search" on ebay for "VPLFE0002" which is the part number for the LR iPod Connectivity Kit. When when pops up for auction you get an email to inform you. Got one for £125 in the end, though it took a couple of months.
Fairly easy to fit in an an hour or so - most of which was spent getting it all back together straight. I combined that with a Brodit holder so I can control my iPhone 4S from either the steering wheel controls or the iPhone screen itself.
I found I had interference through the AUX socket, plus cig socket charger looks untidy. This looks neat and the sound quality is fantastic.
Worth a post on the D3 forum too as they have the same part number, just an alternative wiring loom.

Post #127467 15th Jan 2012 1:44 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

stownrow wrote:

Costs 307 although found a site that does it for 260. Not convinced myself though as the only benifit over my griffin dualconnect is using the steering wheel remotes ! Thumbs Up

hi

i have been looking for a way of connecting my ipod and was wandering how good is the sound using the griffin dualconnect, they look to be good value at £31 compared to Landrovers £300 option

cheers big al 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #127545 16th Jan 2012 10:26 am
Jl4

I tried a Kensington LiquidAUX which is a similar product connecting through the AUX input. The sound quality was fine with the engine off but when I started the engine there was audible interference from the ignition system. I don't know if this was peculiar to my car or not. Other people on here seem to rate them, so perhaps it was just my car.
The LR kit takes the pre-amped output from the bottom of the iPhone/iPod and puts it straight into the back of the stereo - not interference at all.

Incidentally I have the Kensington LiquidAUX sat in a box, they don't go for much on ebay so if anyone wants it (gratis) let me know, first come first served - lingering Christmas spirit Very Happy

Post #127547 16th Jan 2012 10:38 am
stownrow

Jl4 wrote:
I did a "saved search" on ebay for "VPLFE0002" which is the part number for the LR iPod Connectivity Kit. When when pops up for auction you get an email to inform you. Got one for £125 in the end, though it took a couple of months.
Fairly easy to fit in an an hour or so - most of which was spent getting it all back together straight. I combined that with a Brodit holder so I can control my iPhone 4S from either the steering wheel controls or the iPhone screen itself.
I found I had interference through the AUX socket, plus cig socket charger looks untidy. This looks neat and the sound quality is fantastic.
Worth a post on the D3 forum too as they have the same part number, just an alternative wiring loom.

Hello! Do you get the track text on the radio ? Split opinion around ! 

Post #127653 16th Jan 2012 9:17 pm
stownrow

big-al-cove wrote:
stownrow wrote:

hi

i have been looking for a way of connecting my ipod and was wandering how good is the sound using the griffin dualconnect, they look to be good value at £31 compared to Landrovers £300 option

cheers big al

Sounds great ! Got mine on ebay for 20 squid Thumbs Up 

Post #127654 16th Jan 2012 9:18 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

stownrow wrote:
big-al-cove wrote:
stownrow wrote:

hi

cheers big al

Sounds great ! Got mine on ebay for 20 squid Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up will give it a go, 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #127664 16th Jan 2012 9:59 pm
stownrow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Griffin-iTrip-Du...2002wt_972

Thumbs Up 

Post #127667 16th Jan 2012 10:10 pm
Jl4

stownrow wrote:
Jl4 wrote:

Hello! Do you get the track text on the radio ? Split opinion around !

No track text from an iPhone - not tried using the USB connection though - I think that is supposed to be where you get it.

Post #127691 17th Jan 2012 8:15 am
Boof

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

I use my iPhone for music and have used the following techque;
Micro USB socket plugged into front cig. Charger.
3.5 mm female long audio lead with right angled male adapter on other end.

I've ran the audio lead along behind the transmission tunnel (drivers side)ago rear audio in and USB lead ext. from cig.socket along under and up behind the dash. Both leads then come out the gap next to ignition socket. Topped off with a halfords phone holder it's a really neat and cheap solution

Total cost approx £17
Total time 15 mins

The guys at the garage commented as they thought it was a pro job.

First attempt and well pleased ( also totally transferable to any vehicle) Thumbs Up

Post #129640 28th Jan 2012 2:13 pm
burko73

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

boof - this thread needs pics....

Post #137468 23rd Mar 2012 11:30 pm
Boof

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black

Sorry i haven't posted pics, i've had a bit of a disaster with the set up! basicaly kids and dogs don't do an interior any good!
My jack russell decided to, apparenty get out of the boot on on its own and climb into the car by itself!

Nothing to do with my two boys getting him out into the car and winding him up resulting in the phone holder getting snapped of the vent grille along with the vent!

just got a replacement cover but halfords don't do the same holder any more. i'll post the revised set up when i've found a suitable replacement and when i've finished chastising the kids! Censored Banging Head

Post #137578 25th Mar 2012 3:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1