« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2013 MY Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Agreed about tailgate.
At least the D4 still has a split tailgate which to my mind is yet another reason for buying a D4 and not an RRS.

Post #133722 27th Feb 2012 8:38 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

will be just typical if they bring out a FR3 with an interior etc like the evoke next year.

I cant afford a new one, about 2.5 years old before they hit my budget and that will then result in me either buying an evoke or waiting yet another year for the FR3 which of course i would now prefer , Censored freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #133731 27th Feb 2012 9:43 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I would imagine that if it has the rotary gear selector, then this means it will have the same body control module as Evoque, RRS, DS4, Jag XF/XJ etc.

That would mean that the dual view screen and all the toys available on the above cars will be available on FL2.

When I last spoke with one of the Freelander development engineers, he said quite simply, that the current Freelander 2's body control module (BCM) prevents most of the current technology being programmed into FL2.

It came about from the simple question about proper iPod integration. If the new BCM was used, they will be able to do almost anything.

I heard from another contact in JLR that the decision to review the FL2's interior and systems was because it was falling behind the competition, which I agree with to be fair. Not on the car, but it's interior and systems.

One thing is for sure, if those spy pictures of the white prototype did had LED lights which the rears look like they have, it will have the new control system as the current BCM can't handle LED lights and LED daytime running lights. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #133751 27th Feb 2012 11:36 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
Re: 2013 MY Freelander 2

Mav71 wrote:
It looks as if there is alot going on under the skin of the 2013 MY FL2.

The auto's are getting the rotary control, which means it sounds like it is getting the Evoque/Disco 4/Jag control system.

The dash is apparently getting a large overhaul as well. Rumours are that due to the amount that is being changed under the skin, it may even be called Freelander 3.

I know this sounds a little daft, but they went from Discovery 3 to 4 after what was a mild external facelift, but major under the skin facelift.

Good point there re the Discovery!
I personally wouldn't want the split tailgate as I valet a lot of RRSports & it is a pain in the neck from the cleaning point of view alone & makes it very heavy. The design of the RRS taigate is awfall, it's like trying to pull down a cast iron garage door. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #133753 27th Feb 2012 11:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Mav71 wrote:
I would imagine that if it has the rotary gear selector, then this means it will have the same body control module as Evoque, RRS, DS4, Jag XF/XJ etc.

That would mean that the dual view screen and all the toys available on the above cars will be available on FL2.

When I last spoke with one of the Freelander development engineers, he said quite simply, that the current Freelander 2's body control module (BCM) prevents most of the current technology being programmed into FL2.

It came about from the simple question about proper iPod integration. If the new BCM was used, they will be able to do almost anything.

I heard from another contact in JLR that the decision to review the FL2's interior and systems was because it was falling behind the competition, which I agree with to be fair. Not on the car, but it's interior and systems.

One thing is for sure, if those spy pictures of the white prototype did had LED lights which the rears look like they have, it will have the new control system as the current BCM can't handle LED lights and LED daytime running lights.

Could this be the car we all wanted?? Sounds to me like the right thing to do. Shame they didn't do it for 11MY but I guess they were sPending a lot there time on the evouqe..

Can't wait to see what it looks like - just hope it don't disappoint.

... Do you think they could just add a few inches to the boot - think it'll be perfect then Smile Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #133757 28th Feb 2012 12:38 am
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

Parting view from me ... FR2 is a great vehicle and all these juicy improvements will add to that. BUT in one aspect it is falling behind developments & that is mpg!

Osborne just declared he cannot afford not to implement the shortly arriving increase in fuel tax and there's little likelehood of international fuel prices holding steady, let alone sliding downwards sometime in the next few years. This leaves LR with a great vehicle, but very expensive to run. Anyone with the latest build & engine spec. notice significant improvement in mpg?

My recently departed March 10 reg version ... hmmmnnn ... can't help being literally anal about this but the exhaust colour was just sooty black instead of darkish grey ... and I reckon that's simply over rich mixture. And another thing, why should it be almost impossible to show low consumption at even the lightest throttle in the lower gears? other makers engines can do this.

So ... what I'm saying is there's very likely scope for LR to re-engineer the fuelling maps of current FR2s for increased economy, let alone giving this utmost attention & development for FR3. Failing that, with ever rising fuel prices, this great vehicle will begin to price itself out of the wider market it so deserves & might even fall back in market share in markets where fuel costs are high.

It would be good to hear views on this back from LR via those of you in contact with them.

Post #133758 28th Feb 2012 1:36 am
dunroof

Thumbs Up

Last edited by dunroof on 14th Feb 2013 7:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #133765 28th Feb 2012 7:52 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have to agree re the fuel consumption, with the way fuel prices are going we are all going to be driving hyundai I10's. or the dreaded Prius. I have to say research has shown that 80% of journeys are under 10 miles. The new plug in Prius can do 12 miles on electric, so for 80% of journeys you would use no petrol. I hate to say it but I think this is the way motoring will end up.

Of course the government cannot see further than the end of their civil service pencil so as they put the price of fuel up people use less, they get less tax so they put the tax up, people use less fuel etc etc.

I must say it would be great to have a FL2 that didn't have a dash that felt as it had all of the structural integrity of a dash built out of Lego bricks, we will wait and see.

It's a shame but being the ripe old age old 50+ I firmly believe my generation has had the best motoring times, less congestion, lots of parking and no speed cameras, true cars were not as fast but its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Post #133777 28th Feb 2012 9:48 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I dont think we are a stage where electric cars are a worthy alternative to petrol / diesel cars just yet - the technology is not quite there. Biggest problem with electric cars is range and whilst alot of people would be okay for the journey to and from work, what happens when you have to go that little bit further or want to go on a day trip?

And no-one really knows who reliable these batteries will be in a few years time, we might get a 100 mile range now but in five years time that could be just 60 miles? And what about the cost of replacing the batteries?

I was reading the other day about someone with a Nissan Leaf, it lashed down during their journey so they had to use the headlights, wipers and heater hence the battery range plummetted, they also said to charge it at night they had to leave a window open to run the cable into the house.

In my opinion the FL2 doesnt have bad mpg, I regularly get 35-40mpg, even got 44mpg last week on a trip to Stoke. My partners 1.4L Fiesta only gets around 35-40mpg. Hopefully LR will pull off a trick with the new FL3 and squeeze a few more mpg out of it like they did with teh SD4 over the TD4.

Post #133787 28th Feb 2012 11:41 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

All this development on appearance & toys are great but Rover did this for years with trying to make their cars look great ! but look where they ended up ! as reliability was appalling.
Landrover need to start think about reliability, longer factory warranties and economy

Mitsubishi are launching a new SUV next year claiming to have Mpg up in the 50-60's with a new hybrid diesel later this year, & I bet its reliable & probably have a 5 year warranty Rolling with laughter

Post #133788 28th Feb 2012 11:54 am
1STFREELANDER

I too have read reports on the Leaf, in cold weather if you have to use the heater ect it can reduce the mileage by a third. However the Prius also has a 1.8 litre petrol engine which kicks in as needed so you do not have the range anxiety. I had one for a week as a hire car and have to say I got 52mpg in mixed driving, no range anxiety and no compromise in driving style. Of course it won't tow my caravan or go off road but given the choice between having a car in the garage you cannot afford to use or a prius and still be mobile I know which route I will be taking.
Of course as more people get vehicles that are road tax exempt the government will reduce the limit so that they still get the tax in. It's not that the FL2 in uneconomical, I thing an average of 32mpg for an auto is more than reasonable for the type of vehicle, what I am saying is that as fuel goes up and up it will effect the way people use cars and will end up more with people being driven off the road. we will go back to the 1900's when only the very rich could afford motoring.

Post #133789 28th Feb 2012 12:07 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

WARNING - with the reduced number of people using the roads the goverment has announced plans to charge a 'Path Tax', you will be required to display a tax disc badge when on foot, elderly members of our community towing tartan covered trolleys will have to pay an additional surcharge. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #133793 28th Feb 2012 12:22 pm
1STFREELANDER

Don't give them ideas, many a true word spoken in jest.

Post #133798 28th Feb 2012 12:37 pm
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

shilen wrote:

In my opinion the FL2 doesnt have bad mpg, I regularly get 35-40mpg, even got 44mpg last week on a trip to Stoke. My partners 1.4L Fiesta only gets around 35-40mpg. Hopefully LR will pull off a trick with the new FL3 and squeeze a few more mpg out of it like they did with teh SD4 over the TD4.

Phew! ... no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get anywhere near that sort of mpg! but the one thing I was not prepared to do was crawl up & down motorways ar 56-60 mph. 35-40 mpg would have been very acceptable to me personally, but still isn't anywhere near meeting the competitions performance in this respect

Post #133876 28th Feb 2012 7:30 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Just done a trip up the M5 and then cruising round Herefordshire and bits of Wales. Total of 360 miles and averaged 40mpg. I always keep the cruise control on 70mph on the motorway. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #133893 28th Feb 2012 10:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>