« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > New Glow plugs fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

rjc1944 wrote:
My first thought on difficult starting at -1 would be the battery rather than the glowplugs.

Mine starts fine at -1 but this morning at -9 it didnt want to know Sad

I am planning on connecting another battery to it tomorrow morning with jump leads to see if it is battery related or the dreaded glow plugs!!! Wink Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #131473 11th Feb 2012 6:44 pm
OscillateWildly

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Manual Sumatra Black

No, battery is fine. It kept turning over and over but couldn’t fire up

Post #131474 11th Feb 2012 6:59 pm
EYorkshire

Past master wrote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to test the actual plugs without dismantling.

A friend was having problems starting and the workshop told him that the glowplug cables are taken individually back to a plug and socket before going to the battery junction box as one cable (which would make it impossible to test one by one, only the voltage to all four).
It is this plug and socket that is accessible from underneath (with difficulty) that the fitter used to diagnose the glowplugs resistance one by one.
I assumed he thought it easier to use this plug and socket rather than strip components out to diagnose, this is third hand info so make of it what you will. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #131505 12th Feb 2012 10:22 am
RazMan

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Fuji White

OscillateWildly wrote:
No, battery is fine. It kept turning over and over but couldn’t fire up

Mine was reluctant to start yesterday (-12 during the night) and the glowplug light was visible for the first time ever! Plenty of cranking speed but no firing - it took a little dab on the accelerator to bring it to life - no problem since. Cheers,
Raz
FL1 TD4 GS Auto 2001 Silver
FL2 TD4 Auto 2007 Black
FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2012 Fuji White

Post #131613 12th Feb 2012 7:06 pm
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
poor starting

If the engine turns over, apparently normally, but does not start, i would suspect the heater plugs. I have seen my heater (glow) plug lamp on for the first time, during this cold spell. At about -5c, when you press the starter button, nothing seems to happen for a couple of seconds, and the lamp is on. Then it cranks and starts ok.

Post #131616 12th Feb 2012 7:33 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

OscillateWildly wrote:
Interesting. Mine’s the same year. Please post their findings.
Thanks

Marshalls have checked the LR computer and say there are no software updates outstanding. They are going to check further for me. They did seem surprised at the lack of cold start delay. Will quiz them again when I pick the car up (it's staying in while they order a new horn, which they were quite surprised to find is covered under the extended warranty). It doesn't worry me unduly as it always seems to start OK anyway.

Post #131989 14th Feb 2012 5:50 pm
ajuniper

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

EYorkshire wrote:
Past master wrote:
I'm not sure if it's possible to test the actual plugs without dismantling.

A friend was having problems starting and the workshop told him that the glowplug cables are taken individually back to a plug and socket before going to the battery junction box as one cable (which would make it impossible to test one by one, only the voltage to all four).
It is this plug and socket that is accessible from underneath (with difficulty) that the fitter used to diagnose the glowplugs resistance one by one.
I assumed he thought it easier to use this plug and socket rather than strip components out to diagnose, this is third hand info so make of it what you will. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

That would be wonderful, but as discussed here (there's pictures there as well), that connector is as utterly inaccessible as the glow plugs themselves. Stupid and unmaintainable bit of design if you ask me.

Post #132204 16th Feb 2012 12:35 am
ajuniper

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Past master wrote:
OscillateWildly wrote:
Interesting. Mine’s the same year. Please post their findings.
Thanks

Marshalls have checked the LR computer and say there are no software updates outstanding. They are going to check further for me. They did seem surprised at the lack of cold start delay. Will quiz them again when I pick the car up (it's staying in while they order a new horn, which they were quite surprised to find is covered under the extended warranty). It doesn't worry me unduly as it always seems to start OK anyway.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there is a s/w bug in this area. In this cold snap, I noticed that the display said "cranking will commence when glow plugs have done their stuff" (or something like that), and then it started cranking anyway...

Post #132205 16th Feb 2012 12:38 am
OscillateWildly

I’ve now let my local Land Rover dealership deal with it. He seemed surprised as has ‘he’s never heard of any cold starting problems on these…..’
I can’t help but feel, it will be returned with the tagline -‘we’ve had it in overnight and couldn’t find anything wrong with it sir’

Post #132213 16th Feb 2012 9:22 am
bbjoca

Sweden 

Quote:
I’ve now let my local Land Rover dealership deal with it. He seemed surprised as has ‘he’s never heard of any cold starting problems on these…..’
I can’t help but feel, it will be returned with the tagline -‘we’ve had it in overnight and couldn’t find anything wrong with it sir’

That's interesting - my garage here in Stockholm told me (as I have reached about 93000 km) that it is quite common to replace the glowplugs at this time - they did mine the other day and now the car starts just ok, even after 18 hrs in -10 degrees. Out of the four, two were dead, and the two other had a very faint glow, they said. They also added that they had quite a few Freelanders coming in (my age and mileage (2008)) the last weeks (since we were reminded it was actually winter here...).

Well I am happy but 500 € poorer... Big Cry It's never too late to learn something new...

Post #132225 16th Feb 2012 11:07 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

This is what Marshalls said:
"There is no software update. The early 2007 model Freelanders DO NOT HAVE THE STARTING DELAY SYSTEM. If you think you need the glow plugs switch the ignition on briefly before starting" (the latter advice has been given on the forum before).
They didn't know this initially, but checked and say that's what they found. They also said that "Freelanders don't like cold starting", which is probably shorthand for "most people's glow plugs need replacing after a few years".

Post #132284 16th Feb 2012 5:38 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

thats strange as my 57SE has start delay if it is cold enough it will wait 3-4 seconds and light up the cold start before cranking over

Post #132287 16th Feb 2012 6:03 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

Mines an april build 07 and it has delayed glow plug start ( went it feels like it ), sometimes at -5 no delay then at -1 short delay with glow plug light, but always seems to start ok.
LR checked it out and say - no faults found.!!

Richard FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #132302 16th Feb 2012 6:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
OscillateWildly

Mines just been returned. They’ve found no fault codes recorded but have downloaded the latest power control module. It would be nice to think an official dealership would have more knowledge than a group of forum enthusiasts. The acid test will be Sunday morning when the forecast is
-2deg.
At the end of the day, as long as it eventually does start in the morning I'm not sure it’s worth the agro and time chasing the problem with wedge of cash for few days of the year it’s a problem

Post #132312 16th Feb 2012 7:23 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Yet another 07 FL2 that has a starting delay in really cold weather. Had no problems (touch wood) even though the car gets left for days between starts!

Post #132315 16th Feb 2012 7:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>