« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Help! This is serious bad luck
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black
Help! This is serious bad luck

Can anybody help me with this, for instance with a similar problem that was resolved in a better way.

The problem is that the gearbox has to be replaced, but normal warranty is 100,000kms or 3 years.
Guess what: in april he will be 3 years, but I've already done 104,000kms.

What I'm looking for is if someone has experience in getting this resolved still under warranty.

I do live in Belgium so maybe a direct contact of Land Rover UK Manufacturer or something.

Seriously disappointed now.

Post #131953 14th Feb 2012 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

auto or mannual ? freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #131962 14th Feb 2012 3:22 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

It's a manual according to his profile.

In the first instance approach your Dealer and see if he'll speak to LR Belgium as I assume they cover the warranty in Belgium. Assuming you have full dealer service history they should at least offer a contribution towards the cost.

Contacting LR UK is unlikely to help too much as you're contract is with LR Belgium.

Post #131965 14th Feb 2012 3:38 pm
zone30

Manual.

Got some feedback from the dealer. It is not the clutch, just some oil box behind the flywheel or something or other.
Should not cause a problem if I keep driving. The oil leak is confirmed to still be under warranty but since they have to do some major disassembling they asked me if the flywheel and some other parts are not so good anymore, if they could replace it. Major cost is the warranty work but the replacement also can run up to 1250 Euro (worst case).

So maybe I just should let them decide...

At least they called to ask and not just stuck me up with it. I do believe I have one of the (rare) better dealers.

Post #131966 14th Feb 2012 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

zone30 wrote:
I do believe I have one of the (rare) better dealers.

Do tell who - where they are. Folks should have beautiful gems of information like that - especially if they travel across Belgium a lot - to channel port ferries Razz

Post #131971 14th Feb 2012 4:03 pm
taztastic

England 

Hmm, is the UK not 3 years but unlimited mileage??

Move here Laughing

Post #131973 14th Feb 2012 4:43 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

The question you want to be asking yourself is!!!!! Do you wish to keep the car for several more years or are you going to be selling some time in the near future ? If your going to be selling it soon then dont pay for the other parts to be replaced as it will be expensive and you are unlikely to recoupe your outgings.
However, that said, if you love the car and wish to keep it for some time to come then I would say yes to getting the warn out parts fitted ie clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and maybe the duel mass flywheel if need. From what you have said Im guessing the crankshaft seal oil is failing leaking oil into the gearbox housing which if left would get worse to the point the flywheel and clutch plate would become contaminated and clutch problems with slipping there on.
As its a major job to replace the oil seal it would be worth it in the end as landrover are paying for the removal of the gear box etc for warranty work. Choice is yours Thumbs Up

Post #131981 14th Feb 2012 5:12 pm
zone30

I gave the order to replace if worn. It was their suggestion to wait and see. If not necessary they wont replace.
Like said before, most cost and work is under warranty, this is just something they can do if needed.

The belgium dealer is Vernaeve in Gent. They've always been good and if unexpected parts or work needs to be done they always ask for confirmation. The fact is that they are so busy they don't care what works needs to be done, meaning they have plenty to do not to create fake work.

Before I bought the car I went by occasionaly for over a year. They never asked to write up an order. I mean never. They were always polite and helpfull. In the end I had to explicitly ask them to write up an order. They were never pushy.

Monday I was in the garage to pick up the car, and they had like 10 evoques waiting for delivery. They are a small family owned garage with over 40 years of experience as a LD and Jag dealer. They seem to be very concerned about their reputation and righly so. But as most dealers, they have to sometimes bend to what the importer descides.

PS before they called me about this issue they already got the importer to do the oil leak under warranty. I did not have to ask. And I talked to the senior mechanic who explained the issue in detail.

Post #132228 16th Feb 2012 11:34 am
athelstan

zone30
I think they deserve an accolade - so here the folks - possibly Belgium's finest: Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #132233 16th Feb 2012 12:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1