Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Service Indicator Query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hutchingsp

Service Indicator Query

I bought my FL2 new, and collected mid-march last year. I've done around 10k.

A week or so back when I get in the OBC started counting down from 30 days reminding me it needs to be serviced.

Now, obviously 30 days from that time will put me at around the middle to the end of February, so not a huge deal but 2-3 weeks earlier than I need to be.

Can I just confirm that the servicing is fixed at 12months/15k (whichever comes first) and isn't adaptive, and that it just means the time was set when the car came off the line or something?

Thanks.

Post #129832 29th Jan 2012 7:12 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: Service Indicator Query

hutchingsp wrote:
Can I just confirm that the servicing is fixed at 12months/15k (whichever comes first) and isn't adaptive, and that it just means the time was set when the car came off the line or something?

Yes.

Post #129836 29th Jan 2012 8:12 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi 15k or 12mts is right i would not worry too much about it beeing slightly early the important bit is to get the engine oil changed as this helps the dpf from blocking with soot partials.mine was also slightly early as well Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #129837 29th Jan 2012 8:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
hutchingsp

Oh I intend to get it done on time, but what I don't want to be doing is getting it serviced after 11 months and not 12 just because the indicator is incorrectly set.

Post #129839 29th Jan 2012 8:17 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Service indicator will be set when the car is built which will explain why the service due warning will come on slightly before the 12th month anniversary of you taking delivery.
Remember with current models MY10/11/12 there is also an oil service due indicator which is separate from the service due indicator and will come on when it detects that the oil has degraded - in mine this was closer to the 12 months than the service due indicator.
Some dealers fail to reset the oil service due indicator when resetting the main service due indicator.

Post #129861 29th Jan 2012 9:14 pm
ad210358

England 

Got to thinking about this "oil service visit dealer" if it is based on the the state of the engine oil, how come it seems to come on a few hundred miles or a few days after it has had an oil and filter change, I don't think any one has posted that they have had the oil service warning before the service indicator warning has come on Question In this case, surely it must be on a timed warning rather than a detection warning Question

Post #129867 29th Jan 2012 9:26 pm
EYorkshire

Service indicator will not always be left set when the car was built, I picked mine up 25-01-11 and when serviced last Friday it showed 2 days over so my dealer must have reset the indicator on the day it was ready for me.

My message centre also warned me on the 'Oil Dilution' 10 days before the service and when I took it in I reminded them to reset that as well. People should remember it is not a copy message of the service due but a warning of oil degradation due to DPF regeneration.

If people read on the DPF in Alex's gallery under heading (Engine Oil Dilution) it says there is no sensor to detect oil dilution but is worked out using an algorithm based on time, mileage and active (not passive) regenerations.
Passive regeneration - happens automatically with 'out of town' driving with no help from the ECU.
Active regeneration - a forced regeneration due to a soot threshold reached, caused by slow/short distance town driving. It is in these circumstances that the ECU forces (among other things) diesel fuel into the cylinders after firing, this raises the filter temperature to help regeneration but also allows it to make its way into the crankcase and mix with the oil, causing dilution.

Post #129872 29th Jan 2012 9:32 pm
ad210358

England 

EY, is it possible then that as your service warning was reset on the day of collection and as this warning is only now appearing, the supplier didn't reset the oil regeneration warning so therefore your oil warning came early.

Post #129899 29th Jan 2012 10:38 pm
EYorkshire

I can't be 100% on anything that is told to me by LR techies as they seem to tell you what you want to hear not what is fact. As for initial dealer reset, my car was built in November therefore on that thought I should have had that message before Xmas.
In the begining when new there could be no oil dilution message to reset as it is an algorithm that calculates the dilution through driving and as it had no miles there was nothing to reset.
When I took it in for a service and reminded them to reset the message centre 'visit dealer' as well as the odometer one, I asked a workshop guy who was at the desk about that message. He did say that it is definitely an oil dilution message and due to my winter driving of mostly just going to work and back (essentially city driving), active regeneration was occurring and the calculation came into play, dependent on peoples driving some will never see this message but with mixed driving some will and it will mostly occur near the 12 months.

Post #129910 30th Jan 2012 8:28 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Service due indicator was showing 15 days until service due when the oil service warning appeared.

Post #129991 30th Jan 2012 8:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1