Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > how good is leather?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
markus510

Australia 
how good is leather?

After dealer delay of 4 weeks, I only have 4 days to wait for my new FL2 Very Happy Just one question left, how good is the Napoli leather? With 2 young kids, is it worth applying leather protection through someone like tint a car ($395) or buy a leather conditioning treatment from supercheap and do it myself? Is the leather good quality and the recommnendation to protect yet another gimmick Question How is everyone's leather faring? Love the forum, my wife doesn't understand. Probably just as well Wink SD4 SE Orkney Grey

Post #128209 20th Jan 2012 12:30 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

personally I would treat/condition it yourself, then you know it is done right, rather and pay for a monkey to make a mess of it.

you can then repeat the process as often as necessary.

my leather looks great ( nearly three years old, but only 16000mls )

Iain

Post #128232 20th Jan 2012 1:55 pm
markus510

Australia 

problem is Iain, I'm a bit of a monkey myself at car maintenance. What product do you recommend? SD4 SE Orkney Grey

Post #128240 20th Jan 2012 2:46 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

markus510 wrote:
problem is Iain, I'm a bit of a monkey myself at car maintenance. What product do you recommend?

don't really class this as "car maintenance "................my wife actually does a better job at it than me !!
as not only do you need a good product, but not rush it.

there are loads of brilliant leather cleaner/conditioners out there, but the one I have in the garage at the moment is Megulars Gold Class rich leather cleaner/conditioner.

leaves the leather clean and healthy looking.

I think the main object of the exercise is to stop it drying out and maintaining that "healthy" look.

I'm no expert and I'm sure some forum members will give you their expertise on the subject.

Iain

Post #128242 20th Jan 2012 3:24 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Totally agree with Iain, don't let someone else do something that you can do in an hour or so.

Can you get Autoglym products? I use the Leather care balm, it's a white creamy liquid that is a protectant and feeder should only be used on new or precleaned leather so great for you. Goes on easy and non greasy, buffs off to give a nice matt/slightly shiney finish i.e. the same as the leather looks now Thumbs Up We pay around £10 Gbp for 500ml
Not sure on your car but only my seat facings are leather, the rest is pleather Laughing (grained plastic) but I use it all over including the doorcards - Don't use it on the dashboard top as it will just make it shiney and cause reflections, I just use a damp cloth on there.

If you can't get AG, look for a good quality feeder (Not cleaner).

Post #128244 20th Jan 2012 3:34 pm
athelstan

I use LandRover's own 2-part leather care kit which has so far done a great job of protecting the leather. (it is produced in Italy where they do know a lot about leather and its care)

Her Ladyship's FL2 has done 41k+ kms in 26mths and there is no sign of wear or discolouring on the leather seats. The seats are treated once in the winter months (before the LR water n oil proof seat covers are draped over them - its for after skiing re melting snow off ski gear) and applied twice during the rest of the year.

Application takes approximately 90mins for all 5 seats.

Post #128252 20th Jan 2012 4:06 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The leather panels are hard wearing and mine don't show (hardly) any wear after 4+ years. I don't fuss much with the leather, but occasionally use Autoglym leather stuff.

However the plastic side panel on the drivers seat is cracking - real crap pleather (imitation leather) stuff. I expect they all go like that in the end - terrible quality for a "quality" car manufacturer. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #128329 20th Jan 2012 9:18 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Markus, I've found the leather on my Freelander - 3years,76k - to be pretty good. Slight crease marks on the door side back rest bolster, but otherwise unmarked. Mine is Almond, so it does need a bit more attention than Ebony - doesn't get dirtier, just shows it more! I've used Autoglym leather cleaner and their leather cream, but am now using Gliptone cleaner and cream (following a recommendation on this forum) and consider it to be the better of the two, but I think any reputable brand would clean and protect well. I certainly agree with other comments about doing it your self rather than having expensive 'protection' sold to you.
Cheers, Graham.

Post #128349 21st Jan 2012 12:17 am
Liberty555

Australia 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You've made the right choice with leather. I have the black leather in mine and I treat it with Meguires leather treatment and have some kitten leather wipes (a bi like baby wipes) for the inbetween times.

One area which gets a pounding is the back of the seat in front with kids sitting in their chairs kicking the seat. I just give it a wipe with a baby wipe as often as I can.

Post #128710 23rd Jan 2012 1:31 am
athelstan

Liberty555 wrote:

One area which gets a pounding is the back of the seat in front with kids sitting in their chairs kicking the seat. I just give it a wipe with a baby as often as I can.

Firstly I would have thought that it is illegal to clean a car seat with a baby Rolling Eyes

But seriously, I told our daughter from the outset that every time she kicks the back of a front seat it is one less ice cream that day. Nuisance resolved Smile

Post #128713 23rd Jan 2012 8:14 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Liberty555 wrote:
You've made the right choice with leather. I have the black leather in mine and I treat it with Meguires leather treatment and have some kitten leather wipes (a bi like baby wipes) for the inbetween times.

One area which gets a pounding is the back of the seat in front with kids sitting in their chairs kicking the seat. I just give it a wipe with a baby wipe as often as I can.

The back panels of the front seats are not leather Shocked they are Pleather (plastic imitation leather), so they are more likely to withstand that type of treatment, unlike the side panels of the front seats that get creased when sat on and eventually crack Crying or Very sad 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #128774 23rd Jan 2012 5:28 pm
markus510

Australia 

bought the autoglym and will try the baby method everytime the back of the seat gets kicked Laughing SD4 SE Orkney Grey

Post #129001 25th Jan 2012 1:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1