Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Roof Rack recommendations please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JXN1972

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
Roof Rack recommendations please!

Hi Everybody, can anyone recommend a roof rack system that will fit our 2007 FL2, we have a panoramic roof but no roof rails. We don't want to pay Land Rover money as it will only be used very occasionally. I am thinking of one of the Thule systems for about £125.00 that fits over the door seal? does anyone have experience of these? are they any good? any help would be much appreciated! Love our car and can't wait to use it in the snow! Thanks Smile

Post #128348 21st Jan 2012 12:13 am
Jubilado Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I also only need a rack occasionally. I had the Thule bars fitted at Halfords - went for the fitting kit specific to the model - rather than the universal fitting also available for a few quid less. Also went for Aero bars - bit smarter and easy to slide heavy items on to them.

Only issue is that the bars sit quite far forward on the roof (governed by the door opening position) - but do not affect the panoramic roof at all.

For the occasional new worktop, or run to the tip with old timber - perfect. Haven't tried them with a roofbox or luggage - mainly bought them to add flexibility to the excellent load carrying in the car. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #128361 21st Jan 2012 8:59 am
JXN1972

thats great, thank you, off to Halfords it is then!

Post #128372 21st Jan 2012 10:20 am
chugga90

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I have the thule aero system and we used it last summer with a roof box. I would say there are cheaper than Halfords around if you do not need them today. I think ours came from roofbox.com or something like that and they were cheaper than halfords for the same items!

Post #128379 21st Jan 2012 11:19 am
flycop2000

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I'm sure if you look closley at the Thule and Landrover roof parts, they are the same? I have the LR roof mounted bike carrier and it is identical to the Thule part. Unbielivably the LR part was cheaper !
Very Happy Very Happy

Post #128400 21st Jan 2012 3:24 pm
JXN1972

thanks for the replies, have had a surf around and found a setup for a bit less so will order online. cheers, jonathan

Post #128428 21st Jan 2012 6:19 pm
Quagmire

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

I've got the Thule rack with the aero bars. I ordered them with the 1443 fit kit and the 480R bases. Those are the North American part numbers. I'm not sure if they're the same over there. I fitted them myself. It would have been pretty straight forward (about 45min to 1hr) but the fitting instructions had the wrong base separation. The instructions said 43.5" (front) and 42.5" (rear). In reality it is 44.5" and 43.5". That mistake cost me a 1/2 day in the parking lot since I had to fit them by trial and error and gave me a nasty sunburn.

The system is pretty good and it saved me a boatload over the LR solution. I was basically able to get the mounts, bars and cargo box for about 1/2 of what LR wanted for just the rails and crossbars. It does get a little noisy at higher speeds and it increases fuel consumption by about 5-10%

Post #128497 22nd Jan 2012 8:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1