« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chris17

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey
Oil Change

Hello, I have an 07 freelander, and would like to know how to change the oil, and locate the oil filter as I cannot see it under the bonnet.

any useful tips welcome Smile

thanks

Post #94687 9th Mar 2011 9:54 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi, If you look from under the bonnet just to the left hand side off centre you see the oil filter housing sticking out low down. Its a housing witch contains a paper filter in side. Best removed from below.you need to drop the sump guard which is bolted in place

Post #94692 9th Mar 2011 10:03 pm
dunroof

Buy a Topix subscription for a day or if I have a look, I might have downloaded it myself - oh sorry, copyright, can't let you have it. Wink

Post #94694 9th Mar 2011 10:12 pm
zarapip

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

You need to drop sump guard down to drain sump. Oil filter is element type in plastic housing, best seen front top on front of engine,low down to the left of centre. Best removed from underneath,remove large air pipe below it at one end and move to side which will give you more room as its a bit tight. use a 27mm filter socket or cut down a cheap or old short socket with a ratchet, Usually quite tight, Have had some cases where the oil filter has never been changed because of the awkwardness of getting at it. Bought my 10 F02 from a L R Main Agent with Full Service history and 12064 on clock, Filter, Oil, had never been changed,sump gaurd bolts rusted solid.and service book stamped!. FREELANDER 2 2010 HSE LARGO GREY ALMOND LEATHER

Post #117266 17th Oct 2011 11:12 pm
alex_pescaru

Chris17, welcome.
If you look under Maintenance & Modifications section, there is a sticky thread there, named Freelander 2 TD4 Engine Oil Change.
You'll find there all the informations you need...

Post #117271 18th Oct 2011 7:15 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

zarapip wrote:
You need to drop sump guard down to drain sump. Oil filter is element type in plastic housing, best seen front top on front of engine,low down to the left of centre. Best removed from underneath,remove large air pipe below it at one end and move to side which will give you more room as its a bit tight. use a 27mm filter socket or cut down a cheap or old short socket with a ratchet, Usually quite tight, Have had some cases where the oil filter has never been changed because of the awkwardness of getting at it. Bought my 10 F02 from a L R Main Agent with Full Service history and 12064 on clock, Filter, Oil, had never been changed,sump gaurd bolts rusted solid.and service book stamped!.

I suspect the dealer doesn't change the oil filter....................thing is you cannot tell if it's been changed.

I've had two services and I'm sure the sump guard has never been off.

Iain

ps before someone asks, they take the old oil out through the dipstick hole, rather than via the sump plug.

Post #117276 18th Oct 2011 8:51 am
alex_pescaru

It's simple to verify. You can see the head of the oil filter from the top of the engine.
You can make, with a permanent pen attached to a long stick, a small mark on the housing of the oil filter, before going to the dealer. If the mark is there on return, then they didn't change the filter.
As for the sump guard, it's very easy and straightforward to take it off and put it back and therefore it may seems it hasn't been removed.

Post #117330 18th Oct 2011 2:48 pm
5jms5

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi I bought a service manual from eBay cost around £12 very useful shows most service tasks.

Post #126454 6th Jan 2012 9:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1