Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Driving on the light....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red
Driving on the light....

To try to improve on the freelies mpg I have been driving on the 'light' - the change up one on later freelies - while driving around town.

Anyone any thoughts on this - I know it recommends changing up early and wondered if this might contribute to poor dpf cleaning or other issues?

Yes I do give a boot now and then just to make sure it still goes, and it loves motorways but this is an infrequent treat for it.

Anyone tried ignoring the light and getting better mpg??

DR There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #123405 13th Dec 2011 12:04 am
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

I usually try and change up around 1800 - 2000rpm and keep reminding myself to use a light foot, getting approx 35is mpg around town, and up in the low 40's on dual carriageway's Mines a on an 07 plate so don't have the dpf to worry about

Post #123407 13th Dec 2011 12:15 am
ad210358

England 

toeknee wrote:
I usually try and change up around 1800 - 2000rpm and keep reminding myself to use a light foot, getting approx 35is mpg around town, and up in the low 40's on dual carriageway's Mines a on an 07 plate so don't have the dpf to worry about

Just the embarrassment of the colour Whistle

Post #123412 13th Dec 2011 12:52 am
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

HI SOME INFO THAT MIGHT HELP YOU I DRIVE MY MANUAL AS NORMAL EAS TOLD BY L ROVER DRIVE AS NORMAL IF YOU DO DO A LOT OF TOWN DRIVING DPF DOES NOT LIKE IT YOU MUST MAINTAIN THE DPF BY TAKING IT AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH FOR A DRIVE FOR BETWEEN 20/30 MINS AT ABOVE 2.000 RPM SO AS THE ENGINE BURN CLEADS THE DPF, WAS TOLD DONT DRIVE IT LIKE A FAIRY AROUND TOWN JUST TO GIVE YOU SOME IDEA IF YOU LABOR A DIESEL ENGINE IT CREATES BLACK SMOKE THAT YOU SEE COMMING OUT OF THE EXHAUST ON A CAR WITH NO DPF ON A VEHICLE WITH DPF THE FILTER COLLECTS MOST OF THE SOOT PARTICALS HENCE IF YOU DRIVE LIGHTLY YOU MAY FIND YOU WILL CLOGG THE DPF SOONER RARTHER THAN LATER,L/R DO A PAMFLET ABOUT DPM MAINTENANCE HOPE THIS HELPS Thumbs Up PS THE COLOUR OF THE CAR IS FINE BETTER THAN TAXI BLACK rainy-city
xs

Post #123421 13th Dec 2011 8:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I always switch the eco off, but put it on sometimes just to make sure it still works, and find that I always change up before the green light anyway.

I am a very lightfooted driver and don't have a DPF to worry about, so always very happy with my mpg.

Iain

Post #123455 13th Dec 2011 2:54 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
ad210358 wrote

Just the embarrassment of the colour Whistle

No embarrassment at all, better than asking Mr BMW man for a jump start, after leaving the interior light on and ending up with a flat battery. Now that is an Embarassed

Post #123467 13th Dec 2011 5:40 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
No embarrassment at all, better than asking Mr BMW man for a jump start, after leaving the interior light on and ending up with a flat battery. Now that is an Embarassed

Mr average BMW man probably wouldn't know where his battery was in the first place! I used to have one before my Freelander and loved it "yes, I did know where the battery was" but when I used to turn up to a Beamer, audi or anything similar, including far more exotic stuff that had been involved in a collision "can't call it an accident anymore" you could pretty much guarantee the driver wouldn't have a clue where the battery was.

Post #123477 13th Dec 2011 7:17 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I don't have the DPF business to consider thank god and the economy is fine and I change when I want to rather than when the light says. The reason for this is because I find changing the moment the light claims you should results in the engine feeling laboured which can't be great for economy. Best example is 50mph in 5th and it claims 6th is best. Just don't feel right though. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #123486 13th Dec 2011 8:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1