Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

trekntrail wrote:
Quote:
"VIKING
Not if you have proper winter tyres. You do not have proper winter conditions in the UK. In Norway we do! "

I take it you've never lived in the Scottish Highlands in winter then Viking!

Touche. No, you are right. I havent. And there you may have some winter and snow. And let me guess: There you do use proper winter-tyres, and not some useless M+S-tyres or whatever they are called. Right?

And also know you get ahead in the snow with a FL2 WITHOUT chains. Right? 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #123048 9th Dec 2011 10:51 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

[/quote]And also know you get ahead in the snow with a FL2 WITHOUT chains. Right?[/quote]

Yes, we get it, you don't like chains. Yawn

Post #123049 9th Dec 2011 12:06 pm
VIKING

wizking wrote:

Yes, we get it, you don't like chains. Yawn

I have no dislike for chains, -I just dont see the need when you have a FL2. Very Happy Other cars, X3 and such, may need chains.... Laughing 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #123090 9th Dec 2011 5:47 pm
trekntrail

Switzerland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

VIKING wrote:
I have no dislike for chains, -I just dont see the need when you have a FL2. Very Happy Other cars, X3 and such, may need chains.... Laughing

The police in many Alpine areas have different opinions to you Viking and I'd prefer to take their advice.

In Highland Scotland (where the climate is considered Arctic not Alpine!) my problems have been caused by very deep windblown drifts meaning I have been stuck at home unable to get to work and verglas covered tracks caused by the frequent thaw/freeze cycles we experience.

Deep drifts over 1m deep are unpassable even in an FL2 with chains but the verglas covered tracks I experience NEED chains since even winter tyres don't grip on that stuff!!

Post #123103 9th Dec 2011 8:02 pm
VIKING

1 meter of snow, -ok, I agree, that is a little much. But 50 cm if the snow if it is not too packed, -that is possible. I have done that with my FL2. But perhaps that's the limit?

Icy roads are more dangerous than snowy roads. Then you really need good winter tyres. Perhaps even with dubs, but so far I have managed with my dub-free Conti Ice Contact 4x4. I have driven up-hill with no problems, whilst others are standing on the side of the road putting their chains on. But that are FW or BW cars. And that is a different stiry. I also struggled to get up the mountain with my FW car.

In the alps, -I suppose you must have one roule for all. And there is also a difference between 4x4-vehicles handling snow. That was shown in a severe test here in Norway where only the FL2 and the Mercedes GLK managed to get thorough the heep of snow. The GLK was equipped with the off-road package though..... The FL2 was a standard FL2.

But of course, there is a limit what any car can perform. Just good to know the FL2 is the best! Very Happy

And chains? Believe me when I say I have experienced snowy wheather here in Norway. And I drive a lot up to my cabin in the mountains. And the way up is steep! Often either slippery or full of snow. But needed chains? Never! 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #123119 9th Dec 2011 11:53 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Viking, maybe a free week or so in your cabin would prove to me that I will never need the chains!!!! Very Happy

Post #123122 10th Dec 2011 3:18 am
VIKING

wizking wrote:
Viking, maybe a free week or so in your cabin would prove to me that I will never need the chains!!!! Very Happy

No, all you have to do is to drive through the snow with proper winter-tyres. That will convince you. But it has to be proper winter-tyres. Not some S&M-tyres. Those are for sado-maschocists who loves pain...... 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #123159 10th Dec 2011 1:49 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

If you have the need to drive in more than 50 cm of snow its not a freelander you need ( you really don't need chains in snow, ice yes.)
If the snow is that deep ! Should you be out on the roads. In a car ! Tractor, bulldozer or snowplough may be Thumbs Up

Post #123209 10th Dec 2011 6:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12