« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Thule Summit K66 XXL Snow Chains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black
Thule Summit K66 XXL Snow Chains

A search has revealed that snow chains are not universally loved amongst members of on this site but has anyone any experience of the Thule K Summit ones?

They seem to get round the twin issues of fitting hassle and chains interfering with suspension/brake lines etc. I was toying with getting winter tyres but these chains although pricey (£374 a set) are cheaper than a set of tyres and you only need to fit them when the snow gets really bad bearing in mind the Freebie on summer tyres will cope with most of what we get down here in the south west.

Any views? John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #122471 5th Dec 2011 5:36 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Cannot see the point of snow chains in UK: Can only be used on real snow and ice - you will knacker them running on tarmac (and the road); Time to fit them will always be inconvenient - the cold, when its snowing etc, etc; Speed limited to around 30mph; Noise; Vibration.
Winter tyres however: Can be used all winter, all weathers, all surfaces; Will save wear on your summer tyres;
Think of it this way: 2 sets of tyres will last twice as long! - delaying your next purchase. Therefore you are not spending more on tyres, just anticipating the expense before they go up in price! (As everything does!)
Most convenient to have a spare set of rims (ebay). 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #122473 5th Dec 2011 5:54 pm
ad210358

England 

It is not so much not loved as not required, those who say they have them have also said they have never had to use them.

Post #122474 5th Dec 2011 5:54 pm
taztastic

England 

Chains in the UK are not really necessary, especially at nearly £400 a pop. Depending on were you are travelling, more often than not you will find a road clerar of snow on your route and you will spend valuable time getting them on and off.
Decent snow tyres would be more than capable and a better long term investment I would suspect, alternatively.....

What you need is a snow groove, basically it is a 10mm wide circumferential groove with a serrated edge, it will get you out of any trouble, although not sure were you can buy them Laughing

Post #122492 5th Dec 2011 7:43 pm
Junior

England 

CHAINS V's WINTER TYRES

On UK roads Snow chains are for driving up hills and tracks that have heavy snow on when traction is difficult to find, Whereas winter tyres give better grip on all road surfaces for instance on motorways with patches of ice and water so its not an either/or choice really.

Post #122527 5th Dec 2011 10:56 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I bought a set of snowchains about 25 years ago. I used them once to travel about a mile to a gritted and cleared road then had to take them off before the car shook itself apart. Never needed to use them again. I've now got a set of winter tyres which I'll fit now the temperature is starting to be consistently within their optimum working range and won't take them off until spring. If an FL2 with winter tyres won't get somewhere then I probably don't need to go there.

Post #122529 5th Dec 2011 11:45 pm
EYorkshire

Of course the other cheaper option is 'snow socks' as advertised by site sponsor 'Duckworths'. Easy, quick to fit and release but again as conditions improve onto good tarmac they should be taken off, more of a get me outa here option.

Post #122536 6th Dec 2011 8:01 am
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

Thanks guys...food for thought! The scenario I am looking at is that there will be no problem with ordinary tyres 95% of the time but very occasionally I will get called out (my voluntary work) to get up on Exmoor where it will be very difficult conditions with no tarmac in sight and thick snow. Had a Defender 90 TD5 before with lockers and BFG muds so I guess I am still a bit nervous as to what the FL will cope with. I thought a set of quick fit chains in the boot may serve as my "security blanket". I carry all the cold weather gear (shovel, food, hot drink, extra clothing etc. etc.) as well as amateur radio transceivers (mobile phones don't work in a lot of places round here!) but I am always looking for more stuff to keep me safe.

Maybe a set of "socks" could be the right option. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #122563 6th Dec 2011 12:35 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

I had a ford sierra a few years back (As good as a BMW in the snow) with Snow chains it would (push through snow) to about a foot deep, but after 6 inch deep you could not steer the Censored thing !!

I was also on the Kirk-stone pass, when the snow/hail came down and turned the road into ice skating rink. The mountain rescue in there LR 110 got stuck when there stopped.
A Peugeot 205 with snow chains drove round the LR 110 and on to the top of the pass.
The LR 110 put there chains on the front axle and then carried on.

Snow chains are very good for driving of hard packed deep polished snow or ice (where they can dig in )

Snow tires are much better over standard tries for 95% of winter driving in the UK, you may only need Chians for 5% of the time. ( unless your of to the French Alps were its law to have them in the winter months so I'm told))
A good spade will probably be faster to Dig your way out ( and much cheaper)
If your getting stuck with a FL 2 in the snow, you have Question weather you should be out on the roads, Because I have never got stuck ever in a foot of snow.

Post #122592 6th Dec 2011 2:08 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

What on earth do you need snow chains for if you have a Freelander 2? I have driven through 50 cm of snow only with my regular winter-tyres which even doesn't hav dubs. Meaning you can drive on dry asphalt as far as the car (or the speed-limit) allows you. Chains????? Shocked 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #122825 7th Dec 2011 7:45 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

VIKING,
Couldn't agree with any more Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #122899 8th Dec 2011 11:18 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

I have the Spike Spider traction system (basically the same as the Thule ones), and although I have not needed to use them, when testing them out, they were outstanding for grip and steering in snow and ice conditions. After initially securing the face plate, the actual attaching takes seconds. For what you are doing, you cant go wrong in having a set in your boot.

Post #122909 8th Dec 2011 11:56 am
trekntrail

Switzerland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

Just taken delivery of a set of RUD Centrax chains - very similar to the Thule Summits I believe.

If I spent most of my time in the low elevations of England I wouldn't bother buying them. However I spend the winter teaching snowsports in Scotland and Switzerland. In Scotland I live 1/2 ml from a main road accessible only over a rough stone track and then also need to drive up the main ski road of Cairngorm to an elevation of around 2000ft.

In the Alps chains can be enforced by the police and you run a risk of a fine or increased payout if involved in an accident where chains would have lessened/prevented the incident. Even the involvement of an idiotic 3rd party here may not absolve you of partial responsibility!!

I regard chains as an 'optional necessity' and many other UK drivers (including FL2 owners) do the same.

Post #122919 8th Dec 2011 12:38 pm
VIKING

Norway 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Caspian Blue

trekntrail wrote:
I regard chains as an 'optional necessity' and many other UK drivers (including FL2 owners) do the same.

Not if you have proper winter tyres. You do not have proper winter conditions in the UK. In Norway we do! And all we use are proper winter tyres. A 4x4 with chains would probably reach the prime-time news here.....

And FL2 are among the best 4x4 in winter conditions. In tests here, only Mercedes GLK with offroad-package could follow FL2 through the snow-piles. F.ex. BMW X3 couldn't. Neither the others, but right now i dont remember who they were.

But that was through an amount of snow similar to all the snow in UK gathered one place... Cool 2008 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Automatic, Caspian Blue, Alpaca, Moon roof, Exclusive pack.

Post #122982 8th Dec 2011 8:03 pm
trekntrail

Switzerland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

Quote:
"VIKING
Not if you have proper winter tyres. You do not have proper winter conditions in the UK. In Norway we do! "

I take it you've never lived in the Scottish Highlands in winter then Viking!

Post #123030 8th Dec 2011 11:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>