Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > For Sale & Wanted > WANTED - LHD FL2 or DEFENDER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

WANTED - LHD FL2 or DEFENDER

Looking for a DIESEL & MANUAL LHD FL2 or DEFENDER 90 or 110 any colour considered.

Must be high specification and in very good condition - please NO vehicles that have been converted from RHD to LHD (yes there are plenty of those on the internet - not interested at all.)

Must be fully LR Approved Serviced in accordance with the correct schedules.

Thanks

Post #119850 10th Nov 2011 6:10 pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

United Kingdom 

In Switzerland?

Post #119869 10th Nov 2011 8:43 pm
athelstan

Martin wrote:
In Switzerland?

Well naturally I've checked locally and when it comes to both FL2 and Defender Switzerland is not a good place to look unless you want a new one. I'm looking for a relatively new vehicle - the typical "one careful owner - only 1,000kms etc", or, a very old one but in the same condition. It's for her Ladyship to throw around in the winter and not worry about dings n muck. This would allow her to keep her current FL2 spick n span, and release me from always cleaning it.

Defenders were banned from sale for almost 20yrs as they did not meet the Swiss exhaust gas emission controls (they re-entered the market in the very late 90's) and 99% of them are in farming or commercial use and thus have had a very hard life. FL2's have not sold well due to the shocking unreliability of the FL1, as a result there are not many around and, they are very expensive here even second hand.

I'm scanning Germany at the moment as there are many more vehicles registered there - the main question is the provenance of the used vehicle, and unless it is relatively new it will not meet the Swiss regulations (we're not in the EU)

Last night I discovered two potential UK suppliers of new LHD Defenders at what appears to be very keen prices:
Berkshire Land rover - Maidenhead
Safwat Cars - Southend-on-Sea

Has anyone on here had ay dealings with these firms or know anyone that has? Have they appeared on "Watchdog's Rogue Traders"? Any input most welcomed.

Post #119903 11th Nov 2011 10:02 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

LPR can supply LHD Vehicles Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #119908 11th Nov 2011 10:50 am
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Not far from me, happy to have a looksee when next passing and give the place the once over. Will also ask around the neighbours.

Post #119910 11th Nov 2011 10:59 am
athelstan

npinks wrote:
LPR can supply LHD Vehicles Thumbs Up

I know - and I have the name of the chap that deals especially with this subject.

Post #119911 11th Nov 2011 11:01 am
athelstan

SimonB wrote:
Not far from me, happy to have a looksee when next passing and give the place the once over. Will also ask around the neighbours.

Simon - That would be very much appreciated. No hurry - I'll not be making decisions rapidly and I'm happy to wait until the right vehicle comes along at the right price. However BLR do have a 110 that could tick the right boxes - especially price Smile)

Post #119913 11th Nov 2011 11:04 am
Steve @ Lookers Park Royal

United Kingdom 

Hi Athelstan,

We can provide you with a new LHD FL2 if thats something your interested in.

Jeremy is our export expert if you would like me to get him to have a look at the options for you.

Thanks

Steve Thumbs Up If possible please email rather than PM!

Sales - steveallum@lookers.co.uk
Service - davidkingsnorth@lookers.co.uk
Parts - andrewharding@lookers.co.uk

Tel 0208 992 2299

Please do not take any information contained within this post as factual. Always check the manufacturers web site if in doubt.

Post #119926 11th Nov 2011 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
athelstan

Steve LPR
Thanks for your response. Last year in a meeting with James he mentioned Jeremy to me re LHD sales because at the time we were thinking of increasing the head count in our family and so the D4 was in the frame and the FL2 to depart. However our family size will not increase. The situation has changed and her Ladyship is keeping her MY2010 FL2. She wants another vehicle just for winter use visiting her patients in the mountains all weathers etc..

Another FL2 was mentioned or a Defender. I think why have 2 FL2's - so I'm more inclined to move the decision to a Defender and it doesn't matter if it gets into any scrapes etc.. There's a few suppliers both in the UK and in the EU that appear to have access to new or delivery kms only Defender 110 (my preferred vehicle of choice) at considerable (if not astonishing) discounts on list prices. List price of Defender in CH is unbelievable and unjustifiable.

I kept Jeremy's contact details and should my search not bring the result I'm looking for I'll be in touch.

Post #119933 11th Nov 2011 4:11 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

If go get a defender go for one with a wood burning (or nuclear) stove fitted, as my feet are still cold from the winter trips in Land Rovers as a child.

Oh and dont crash this one Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #119935 11th Nov 2011 5:05 pm
athelstan

I have happy memories CG of running father's line of Series 2 & 3, 90's and 110's in the cold wet winters of the Peak District freezing one's cobblers off due to the Polar heating systems that LR installed i.e we only output cold or bloody cold or frigging freezing and comfort that benchmarked Third Class railway carriages (yes pun intended.) However you could have a lot of fun. Had sex in the back of the 90 with a certain frisky filly a couple of times.

But I'm sure you know about headlights that operated on one candle watt, screens washers that cleared only 10% of the windscreen (when not frozen solid) and that was the spot where the tax disc stood so that Plod could see it - very community spirited of LR, and fuel consumption equal to Concorde. And and and.

Carefree days - so why not throw caution to the wind, abandon common sense, vanquish the inner eco warrior, and be prepared to bivi down until rescue arrives. Or on second thoughts.................

Post #119958 11th Nov 2011 8:03 pm
athelstan

chicken george wrote:

Oh and dont crash this one Rolling Eyes

For the record I didn't crash anything. There's a current thread on here re a Discovery crash near Shrewsbury, that's not far from the spot near Leominster where we were the subject of a hit n run on Thursday 13 October Evil or Very Mad Folks we discussed this with said that he was either drunk, on drugs, or no insurance, or he was driving a stolen car. As one person said: "Welcome to Britain". Censored

Post #119959 11th Nov 2011 8:10 pm
dunroof

Go for the Defender, it's nostalgia at it's best. Never changed for years and never will. People can't tell if the driver is a New Age Traveller or owns half of Berkshire! Will do your street cred no end of good, especially if you go for the blue ones.

Post #119961 11th Nov 2011 8:16 pm
athelstan

BLUE Twisted Evil - I'm no dammed Berkshire Tory. Be off with you.

Post #119963 11th Nov 2011 8:29 pm
SimonB

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SimonB wrote:

If I'd had a good look around the website before I commented I probably wouldn't have suggested it might need checking over. Anyway I popped in yesterday afternoon as I was genuinely interested in the cost of a TrackStar, and being local wanted to ask about servicing.

It looks and feels like a small, independent company, crammed full with vehicles, but what I assume was the owner was very pleasant, happy to chat. I asked about their LHD Defenders and all currently on sale are originals, not conversions - they tend to only deal with originals, they convert on customer request.

Post #120791 20th Nov 2011 10:04 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>