Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Further to my post of 20th September - "Road noise or .
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carguy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Further to my post of 20th September - "Road noise or .

Although Landrover Servicing didn't notice any noise at this car's 3rd service, I insisted in doing a road test with one of the Technicians. Sure enough, one of the Differentials is on its way out. The sound it made can best be described as the sound you might hear on an aircraft in mid-flight, just a pleasant muted drone/hum, nothing nasty or scrapy or rumbly, almost a pleasant sound. BUT, that sound is going to cost £1500 - £2000 to fix!

The car had just 3 days left on original warranty Bow down so I am more than a little pleased that the car did what it did, when it did! However, doesn't this beg the question as to what a £35600 (on original invoice) top of the range FL2 TD4 HSE with 32000 miles on the clock is made of? Never been off road or even driven hard.

Took out an extended warranty for another year.. Love this car, but whereas before I thought we had bought something almost invincible (compared to our previous FL1) now I can't help having niggling doubts.. still, the new warranty is in place and I won't keep the car beyond 4 years. Maybe an Audi next??

Post #114595 24th Sep 2011 11:55 am
outtheoffice

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hiya,

I had a freelander2 on an 09 plate for 6 weeks before Stratstones bought it back from me as it was a total lemon. It had numerous faults including, yes a noise from the rear nr side wheel. We were in france when it really played up and had to be recovered. I see Stratstones are still trying to sell it 3 months later.
Anyway we replaced it with an Audi A6 Avant Sportsline and absolutely love it.

It is so well bolted together there are no rattles whatsoever. It has a huge boot and is superb on a long moterway run. We have been to Southampton today (from Milton Keynes) the trip computer tells me tells me we have averaged 60 mph and returned 45 mpg. Very sad but the Freelander v Audi debate for me the German car wins hands down. Buy one you will not regret it.

Post #117775 22nd Oct 2011 7:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1