« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > off topic diabeties and driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
off topic diabeties and driving

if any of you guys are diabetic like me and are on insulin here is another pice of E.U crap leglislation that they are trying to bring in, when you are on a restricted licence like me every 3 years mine is renewed following a medical question sheet,now thay want to revoke your licence if you have had two hypos in a 12 months evan if you have not been driving ie if you are at home in bed or resting you can guess that if this new rule comes into effect that people are not going to go to there G.P to report this because of beeing banned from driving so thay might end up having a load of diabetics with poor control driving, this is just another pice of E.U crap by sombody sitting behind a desk with f Censored all else to do beeing paid thousands of pounds per year Evil or Very Mad rainy-city
xs

Post #116834 14th Oct 2011 10:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Sorry to say this Alf but several members of our family are diabetic - (brother in law since he was 3), not ringing for the ambulance when someone collapses is now a fact of life. Said brother in law has had his licence entitlement removed.

The point is the rules are counter productive, it doesn't stop people (who might pass out) from driving, it does stop the same people from getting treatment that would help control thier blood sugar levels. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #116846 14th Oct 2011 12:59 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I can comment on this from a different angle. I have epilepsy (sleep seizures only), last seizure was 4 years ago. I was stopped from driving in December 2006 and had to sell my car. I had my 3rd and last seizure in October 2007. After waiting the mandatory 12 months I resumed driving having got my licence back.

The ruling for sleep seizures is that if you only suffer sleep seizures for at least 3 years, the DVLA with medical verification will allow you to drive even if you continue to have sleep seizures as they are satisfied you will not have seizures whilst awake.

If you suffer seizures of any description you have to be at least 12 months seizure free before you can apply for your licence back.

I recently discovered through epilepsy action that if you are seizure free for 5 years, you can apply for a long term licence.

I do empathise with your problem and some rules can be ridiculous but do some further research through the relevant diabetes authorities and helplines (if you haven't already) and you may find some helpful advice. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #116864 14th Oct 2011 8:16 pm
bigalf1961

thanks for your replies guys what realy p Censored iss me off about this is that if i lived in mainland europe i could hold a hgv licence and drive a hgv vehicle evan on the uk roads but the uk allways does things differant over here i can have my 7.5 tonne entitlement back if i go on to a 12mts licence instead of three years and pay 80.00 a year for a medical, so mutch for our goverment looking supporting us however if the legslation was about cuts in euro mp allowances i bet they would be up in arms and be doing everything to stop it but good old uk well bend over and take it up the a Censored se as usual its only effects about 1.2 million people Evil or Very Mad rainy-city
xs

Post #116920 15th Oct 2011 7:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigalf1961

andy 131 this is what is going to happen when i spoke to my doctor about this i said people will not be honest with you guys if this comes into force and then thay will have poor control because they will keep blood sugers inflated and that can lead to tiredness and fatigue Evil or Very Mad rainy-city
xs

Post #116921 15th Oct 2011 7:49 am
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

On the other side of the argument is the risk of having a diabetic hypo whilst driving. You cannot guarantee that you won't have one whilst in the car. Driving uses up considerable amounts of concentration which in turn uses up blood sugars.
Imagine the hypo happening on the motorway or outside the local primary school (admittedly you would only crash into a FFRR, RRS or BMW X5 Rolling Eyes ).

Keeping your BM artificially high can also cause circulation problems, high blood pressure and heart problems.
Look at the positive side of this, you get a health check every 3 years which could potentially spot any other problems early. Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #117716 21st Oct 2011 10:05 pm
bigalf1961

i agree but twice a year i have a medical at the hospital who ask all sorts of questions asking if i get symptoms of my blood sugars going low the dvla guidelines for diabetics on insulin is that befour we drive we should check our blood sugars,people who have epeleptic dont allways get a warning that a fit is about to happen this can also happen to some diabetics who have lost there warning signes but not many,the point iam trying to make is that this is some p Censored k sat behind a desk brussels on thousands of euros a year trying to get a stupid law passed or is it another form of e.u rattling the saber again and the uk taking up the a Censored e again rainy-city
xs

Post #117731 22nd Oct 2011 6:04 am
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Thing is, this new intended law is silly, most of the population with diabetes don't even know they are diabetic until an incident occurs, so how is this law going to help that?

Those who know they have diabetes (like me) usually control it well and driving is the least of their worries to be fair. It is more a case of 'so how much beer can I really have!'  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #117750 22nd Oct 2011 11:23 am
Firestar

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

It is ONE in 12 months, apparently; as far as I can tell with a quick look only applies to insulin-treated diabetes. It's been applied for over a year now.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/Annex%2...betes.aspx

Changes to the standards for driving Group 1 vehicles (cars and motorcycles)

The following changes introduced by the European Union have applied since September 2010.
Must not have had more than one episode of severe hypoglycaemia within the preceding 12 months
Must not have impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia which has been defined by the Diabetes Panel for Group 1 vehicles as "an inability to detect the onset of hypoglycaemia because of a total absence of warning symptoms"

With ALL medical conditions that require reporting to the DVLA, it is down to the individual sufferer... the medics don't report you! (However once you do report yourself they usually ask for access to your records via your GP). It's a pain but it's the Law,

I have Glaucoma. It was discovered early and I have no significant damage to my vision. {Undiagnosed and untreated it can result in blindness}. It is frequently a side-effect of Diabetes. I reported it to the DVLA and had to undergo a 'visual field test' at their nominated Optician, which - fortunately - I passed.

Post #117762 22nd Oct 2011 3:48 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

One of our very good Friend was seriously injured by a diabetic driver when he passed out at the wheel ! He drove his Merc head on into our friends car. Due to the fact that he was in a huge Merc and unconscious at the time of the accident he didn't suffer many injuries but our poor friend was off work for years and still suffers now ! never able to return to her previous job !

Post #117766 22nd Oct 2011 4:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1