Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > WHICH TYRES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

As above they are AT's I am running 235/65/17H. I dont think anyone would of had them in the snow yet as it was only availible early this

Post #114573 24th Sep 2011 7:23 am
D99

England 

I'm also running the new grabber AT same size, and was pleasently suprised by how good they are on road too compared to the conti's. Hardly made any difference to handling, there isn't much more road noise and they seem to displace water better and don't aquaplane as much through standing water.
I didnt get mine till summer so couldn't comment on snow yet either.

Post #114582 24th Sep 2011 9:20 am
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Are these the AT2? On General Grabber site, for AT2, i cannot find the 235/65/R17 size...

Post #114591 24th Sep 2011 11:14 am
alex_pescaru

They are AT simple, not AT2.
Mihai, take care that they are not a proper winter tire...
If you are looking for winter tires, do yourself a favor and buy some good winter ones.
Leave the off-road as a second priority/choice.

Post #114601 24th Sep 2011 1:06 pm
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

@Alex, this is what I'm trying to understand... Landy19840 said that they are the new AT, which would be AT2. The old AT I think is no longer in production, it does not appear anymore on General website.

The new AT has the snowflake symbol, which would be great, but they don't seem to make that size yet...

Post #114614 24th Sep 2011 5:23 pm
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

Generals previously did the Grabber AT2 but their new all terrain tyre is simply called the Grabber AT.

In short, AT2 is the old - AT is the new (strange but true).

I have the new ones fitted in 235/65/17. They do not have a snowflake symbol as they are not true winter tyres - the are marked M+S (mud & snow).

I am fortunate to have a spare set of wheels with Vredestein Wintracs fitted so will using them in the snow and saving my GGATs for when the snow has passed.

Post #114617 24th Sep 2011 5:37 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Although I accept the superiority of winter tyres over M+S in snow etc for better stopping distances and grip etc, you guys who invest in wintracs must either not mind shelling out a few hundred quid or hated the performance of your other tyres.

I have mentioned before about the wranglers on mine proving unstoppable right through last winter but considering 'normal' cars on summer tyres such as my dad's A4 managed to get about 'ok' on main roads and the odd side street that wasn't too bad, surely the FL2 can cope with the UK's snow without resorting to winter tyres.

As athelstan points out, wintracs are not the best winter tyre money can buy but I am surprised by the number of members on here who are clearly not satisfied with the performance of their M+S tyres and have invested.

Each to their own but for those of you have gone for it, did you find a lack of grip and safety etc with your other tyres? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #114621 24th Sep 2011 5:58 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

MihaiB wrote:
@Alex, this is what I'm trying to understand... Landy19840 said that they are the new AT, which would be AT2. The old AT I think is no longer in production, it does not appear anymore on General website.

The new AT has the snowflake symbol, which would be great, but they don't seem to make that size yet...

Nope they are just AT's

That is all

Post #114623 24th Sep 2011 6:16 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you can only use one set of tyres at once so if your keeping the car a few years tyre expense isnt an issue, cheap wheels are on ebay often.
Dont kid yourself M+S tyres are so great on ice,winter tyres have a different compound that stays soft and grips the road better at low temps.
Yes you can get by with M+S or even road biased tyres but winter tyres WILL be much better At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #114625 24th Sep 2011 6:20 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
you can only use one set of tyres at once so if your keeping the car a few years tyre expense isnt an issue, cheap wheels are on ebay often.
Dont kid yourself M+S tyres are so great on ice,winter tyres have a different compound that stays soft and grips the road better at low temps.
Yes you can get by with M+S or even road biased tyres but winter tyres WILL be much better

Winter tyres wouldn't be called winter tyres if they didn't perform better, no question. But I kid you not, I drove through thick snow, compacted snow and on slushy stuff which at 10pm at night had frozen to proper ice at -10c. On all these surfaces the wranglers never gave me even a hint of grief.

I only asked because I am curious what prompted other members to go for them. Bad experience on other tyres? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114627 24th Sep 2011 6:24 pm
ad210358

England 

The Doctor wrote:
Although I accept the superiority of winter tyres over M+S in snow etc for better stopping distances and grip etc, you guys who invest in wintracs must either not mind shelling out a few hundred quid or hated the performance of your other tyres.

I have mentioned before about the wranglers on mine proving unstoppable right through last winter but considering 'normal' cars on summer tyres such as my dad's A4 managed to get about 'ok' on main roads and the odd side street that wasn't too bad, surely the FL2 can cope with the UK's snow without resorting to winter tyres.

As athelstan points out, wintracs are not the best winter tyre money can buy but I am surprised by the number of members on here who are clearly not satisfied with the performance of their M+S tyres and have invested.

Each to their own but for those of you have gone for it, did you find a lack of grip and safety etc with your other tyres?

The Doctor wrote:
I found this info today and I am thinking of joining. I think I will buy some Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme tyres if I do though. They provide training apparently.

Here is the website: http://peak4x4response.org/

What do you guys think?

But six weeks ago you were going to buy a set of Winters, whats happened, we have had no snow since and now your preaching how good your Wranglers were Rolling Eyes

Post #114640 24th Sep 2011 8:06 pm
LDKMan

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Just replaced my Conti's with another set of Conti 235/65/17 M & S. Managed 31,000mls. Happy with all round performance.

Peter GONE - LARGO GREY FL2 09 SE.
FL2 61 XS.

Post #114642 24th Sep 2011 8:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

ad210358 wrote:
But six weeks ago you were going to buy a set of Winters, whats happened, we have had no snow since and now your preaching how good your Wranglers were Rolling Eyes

My thinking was if I join this response group, I may end up venturing into the high realms of the peak district where the snow may well prove so bad that the benefits of winter tyres would be needed.

I have since found out that there are a number of members in that area so my coverage would be mostly around my area.

I have also started uni again and the fees are rather annoying. Still, if I work hard enough at my course and become a barrister with wealthy clients I might end up with a Range Rover Supercharged Autobiography and the best winter tyres money can buy Mr. Green Sheep LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114674 24th Sep 2011 10:29 pm
ad210358

England 

If the extra safety of the Wintracs means that I can stop in six inches less than the Wranglers it may save me a claim on the insurance which will more than pay for the Wintracs, but more than that it means my family have a better chance of getting home safer.

When you have tried them then you will perhaps understand, what you've never had you never miss.

Post #114679 24th Sep 2011 11:46 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

ad210358 wrote:
If the extra safety of the Wintracs means that I can stop in six inches less than the Wranglers it may save me a claim on the insurance which will more than pay for the Wintracs, but more than that it means my family have a better chance of getting home safer.

When you have tried them then you will perhaps understand, what you've never had you never miss.

Just one question: If I ever reached a point where I could afford them and thought sod it, the wranglers get me about no probs but I will follow ad210358 and buy some anyway for extra safety, why should I buy wintracs over other brands?

I highlight this because athelstan said wintracs were more middle order and by no means the best. Is it a case of value for money? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #114680 25th Sep 2011 12:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>