« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > TD4 or i6????
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 
TD4 or i6????

I know that in the UK this is a pretty pointless question, but is there anybody out there who is buying the i6 in preference to a TD4?
To me it would appear that if you are truely desperate to have an F2 Automatic at launch time then you can jump the queue by buying the i6. I would imagine that for anybody who is only doing the school run and short drives there can be very little in it fuel economy-wise, the real killer for the i6 in the UK and Europe will be it's residuals.

Currently I run a TDv6 RRS and the MPG for that in day to day running is very close to the govt combined cycle figure, the i6 F2 isn't that much worse (on paper!) but 4 star petrol is cheaper by a signficant amount for the 8-9000 miles a year that I drive. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #960 5th Dec 2006 10:40 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

More expensive to buy, drop in value more and according to people who have driven both the real world driving experience is no different. So no we aren't buying one, but we are going to the dealers tonight to sort the spec on the auto TD4 for April delivery!

Post #961 5th Dec 2006 2:16 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Have fun! Local dealer has 2 TD4 HSE's with nearly all the extras on one of them and the other has the body kit. The body kit looks a bit RRS HSTish and the replacement door spoilers are grim things. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #962 5th Dec 2006 2:36 pm
MudAllOverIt

The relative fuel consumption of the new i6 and TD4 is very similar to that of the outgoing V6 and TD4.

On that basis alone I would expect the TD4 to return better economy under all situations even taking into account the differential in pricing between petrol and diesel in the UK.

The fuel consumption of the outgoing V6 was appalling. In the three years I had the FL the fuel consumption never approached the spec figure and in real-world terms was almost identical with two colleagues who run petrol V8 L322 Range Rovers Shocked

If the spec'd fuel consumption of the i6 reasonably accurate then the situation will not be as bad as it was with the V6 but I wouldn't bet our house on it Laughing

Otherwise what pleyma said -- the i6 attracts a significant price premium in the UK and its residuals will be appalling. Personally I can see no reason whatsever for buying it Rolling Eyes Bill

'97 Land Rover 300Tdi Defender 90 "Big Red" - Never Clean
'78 Triumph Spitfire 2500 - Much Modified
'76 Triumph 2000TC Saloon - Forever Original
ex V6 Freelander owner not interested in another shiny Land Rover at the moment

Post #963 5th Dec 2006 4:12 pm
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

to defend the i6, the i6 FL is from 0 to 100kmh in 8.9 seconds. the td4 one third slower in 11.7 seconds. the RRS tdv6 at 12.6 seconds is 40% slower than the FL i6. the RRS V8 is as fast as the FL i6, but 60% more expensive. in other words, the FL i6 delivers the most kmh for every GBP.

Post #964 5th Dec 2006 4:33 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

can't disagree with performance facts, but in reality is that really important? If performance was such an issue then a different car would be a better choice.

The driving experience of a good high spec diesel is wonderful, nothing to beat the sensation of loads of low down torque ...

Post #973 6th Dec 2006 3:19 pm
MudAllOverIt

avtur wrote:
The driving experience of a good high spec diesel is wonderful, nothing to beat the sensation of loads of low down torque ...

That was very much the case with the outgoing TD4 vs the V6. The TD4 felt much more responsive than the V6 cause of the low down torque. Could get a nice "kick" out of a TD4 which just wasn't possible with the V6.

The V6 was really a bit of a slug unless you rev'd the guts out of it. Hopefully the i6 will be much better in this regard. Bill

Post #974 6th Dec 2006 3:51 pm
jam80s

Having driven the i6 auto I can tell you all its reasonably quick very smooth and a dream to drive, the gear change is also very smooth given all that the fuel consumtion is not great on a long journey sticking to about 70 - 75 mph the best I got was 26mpg when you start the short round town stuff it falls to about 18.

Post #1137 20th Dec 2006 11:38 am
MudAllOverIt

jam80s wrote:
the best I got was 26mpg when you start the short round town stuff it falls to about 18.

That's a marginal improvement on the figures I got from our V6 -- which I suppose in the overall scheme of things isn't a bad result for the i6 bearing in mind its 28% larger capacity over the V6. Bill

Post #1138 20th Dec 2006 12:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1