« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 automatic and high mileage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
huck

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey
FL2 automatic and high mileage

I need to replace my Freelander TD4 3-door hard-back and will probably go for a new Freelander 2 TD4 GS. My current Freelander MY06 is a manual and has done 127,000 since new in 2007, still with the factory clutch. I am thinking of going for the GS auto, so would the automatic transmission be fault free doing that sort of high mileage?

Post #112081 4th Sep 2011 4:37 pm
Swingwing

I think the only member who could help you is the Doctor - he's just bought a Ouija board Twisted Evil

Post #112222 6th Sep 2011 1:02 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I have a manual and advice you to go auto with the FL2. The car is much nicer to drive. don't misunderstand me, I love my car but next time I would definatly go auto.

the past year I was in a lot of traffic jams, most of them uphill, and then the manual is not ideal. The handbrake has som play so the car rolls back a bit which is a feeling I'm still not used to. With an autobox I would not have need to pull the handbrake as the car rolls forward the moment you take your foot of the brake.

Post #112347 7th Sep 2011 1:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

weirdly I was on a hill the other day in my auto and it did roll back Shocked admittadly it was a steap hill and I had a car full of kids and luggage but the creap was not enough to keep it still.

I do think however that if you have hill decent selected, it applies the brakes momentarily for you to take up drive healping hill starts ??? Or did I just make that up? Question Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #112349 7th Sep 2011 1:58 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

invest in a fuel bowser to tow behind you Big Cry the last one i had on hire was 26/27 mpg around town one member on this forum had to get rid of his due to high fuel consumption stick with the manual if you are going for a 2011my mine is realy smooth drive and very quiet Thumbs Up as for reliability i cant comment but a few members have had concerns about auto boxes as have manual box freelanders with clutches Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #112351 7th Sep 2011 2:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The autos are heavier on juice around town(24mpg!), if you have done 127k though I suspect you spend a lot of time on the motorway so 32mpg won't be far away from the manual mpg - I know it's all down to driving styles, and mines fun, so mpg doesn't really come into the equation.

I shredded two clutches on our original FL1, in under two years so mechanical sympathy is also not a strong point. Second FL1 was auto and Fine. This one is auto, gets hammered, off road, towing, and traffic lights, no sign of giving up the ghost at 60k, a manual would definately have eaten at least one clutch by now, 30-40k is my average.
The way I look at it, if it lasts 150k, I would have used at least 3 clutches, compared to the cost of one auto box I break even.

Would like to think that the auto is easier on the Haldex unit, but the 0-60 time is quicker, so I doubt it.

If you tow or go offroad or are "unsympathetic", go auto, If you can make a clutch last 127K then an auto box should survive well, but it will never beat a manual for fuel economy.

Let not get into the manuals are nicer to drive than autos, or visa versa arguament because that's purely a personal choice -- even if autos are better Laughing Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #112869 12th Sep 2011 5:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1