« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Loud knocking under floor - solved
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AndrzejK

Poland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black
Loud knocking under floor - solved

While driving over mild hump or when accelerating and then foot out of pedal I was hearing very loud knock. It was located somewhere under floor in the front of car, I could describe as under driver's feet. The noise was appearing for a couple of days, then noise was off, and back again after another couple of days. Completely random.

Car was around 95 000 km when the noise started, and at 105 000 km visit to a service: no root cause, suspension ok, probably issue with transmission, could be drive shaft. However after dismounting and mounting front wheels knocking disappeared - so finally when the knocking would come back again I should have let service know and get an appointment to replace left drive shaft.

One week later the knocking come back. I mounted video camera under the car more or less in the area of the knocking, and attempted to reproduce the problem. Then I looked on the video looking for a difference with and without knock. And finally I found a small shadow behind the stabilizer bar. Yes, that was it - stone behind stabilizer bar.

Click image to enlarge

Now the funny thing: I was offroading with my Freel only once, great fun, nice venture. But it was in September 2010 and the problem appeared in April 2011...

If one likes driving in deep gravel (and 10-20 cm deep ruts left by tuned Discos), then one should be prepared for surprises of this kind :)
Anyway it's better to know the root cause was trivial.

Post #111400 28th Aug 2011 8:26 pm
athelstan

Very informative Andrzejk - that will not doubt assist others who experience a similar knocking situation. Thumbs Up

After your gravel rash raid did you get the body panels sprayed Laughing

Post #111418 29th Aug 2011 7:36 am
AndrzejK

Athelstan, believe it or not, but not scratched at all... and I have no mud flaps. Whole gravel went inside engine compartment instead :)

Anyway my Freel suffered some sprays while going through bush. But you can get worse ones at shop parking.

Post #111840 2nd Sep 2011 7:51 am
athelstan

AndrzejK wrote:
But you can get worse ones at shop parking.

Indeed you can Big Cry

On a different subject: did you know that LR obtain their FL2 seats from a Polish provider, and, the leather used on her Ladyship's MY2010 was sourced from a Tunisian supplier. I think that's why her front seats squeak a lot - catholics and muslims constantly arguing about the atheists sitting on them. Wink

Post #111844 2nd Sep 2011 8:19 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

AndrzejK wrote:
Athelstan, believe it or not, but not scratched at all... and I have no mud flaps. Whole gravel went inside engine compartment instead Smile

Anyway my Freel suffered some sprays while going through bush. But you can get worse ones at shop parking.

think if I was doing this activity I would not be using my Freelander !!

too well looked after and loved to be subjected to that !!

Iain

ps and too expensive...................

Post #111846 2nd Sep 2011 8:30 am
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Had this happen to me a year ago too. Metalic sound everytime I started or turned of the engine. Turned out to be a pebble stuck on one of the protaction meshes.

Post #111857 2nd Sep 2011 9:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrzejK

iain cooper wrote:
AndrzejK wrote:
Athelstan, believe it or not, but not scratched at all... and I have no mud flaps. Whole gravel went inside engine compartment instead :)

think if I was doing this activity I would not be using my Freelander !!

too well looked after and loved to be subjected to that !!

Iain

ps and too expensive...................

Iain, common, it's LR, it should do something more than just look good :) Besides, I had better time than a guy in RR Sport - priceless ;) (Old Discos on MT tyres ruled)

Post #111873 2nd Sep 2011 11:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1