« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Auto stop / start!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Auto stop / start!

Anyone driven an auto stop/start yet? I drove a new Merc C220 CDi the other day, and found the experience strange, to say the least. I pulled up at a junction, with the car in 'D', foot on the footbrake, and the engine stopped! Foot off the brake and it started before my foot reached the throttle.

I'm not a fan of stop / start, period, but I think auto stop /start is absolute s Censored t. I'm aware of the tax advantage, but other than that, I'd always hit the override button!

Any thoughts?? I've heard LR are looking at introducing it?? Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #111463 29th Aug 2011 7:28 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Yer I had one on lone when my car was in for warranty work. I too dont like them, Its never natural to keep stop/starting a diesel engine. I also just had a new manual box with stop/start, still feel the same, If I ever get a newer model then I think the overide button will be the most used switch in there. Dont like stop/staert full stop Banging Head

Post #111466 29th Aug 2011 7:46 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have to say that whilst the response time was very good with the stop start I didn't like it either and turned it off after 1 week.
when i was in London and it kept stopping often it was starting back up a mere fraction of a second after stopping shaking the whole drive train about. cant see long term it doing it any good !
I had a pal who had an alternator go on his stop start vehicle and it was £1300 to replace so wonder what the benefits of stop start are ?

Post #111472 29th Aug 2011 8:08 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've got it on mine and I quite like it. It doesn't stop the engine nearly often enough to make a difference to real world fuel consumption figures, although I'm sure it cuts in at just the right times to fool the official government fuel and CO2 test proceedures (which is the only reason that it's fitted in the first place) Rolling Eyes

I'm convinced that having to pointlessly start the engine just to operate the electric windows uses more fuel than the stop/start saves anyway!

Post #111477 29th Aug 2011 8:46 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer wrote:
so wonder what the benefits of stop start are ?

If it wasn't for that wonderful stop/start fooling the test official test procedure into coming up with 165g/km (instead of the previous 194g/km) then there is no way that I could ever have afforded one as a company car and Land Rover would have missed out on a sale.

That difference in CO2 output would have increased my PAYE bill by another £50 a month Shocked

That's what stop/start is for!

Oh yes and corporate average CO2 emission figures too.

Post #111478 29th Aug 2011 8:52 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Yer I quite like this.

Its not like the Merc system where it just cuts out whenever it feels like it meaning that you can suddenly loose drive when sat at a roundabout <- a friend of mine had a personal experience and near accident because of this.

The LR version cuts out when you release the clutch and are stationary and starts up again when you dip the clutch or the battery needs a boost.

It works very well, and was good in a recent traffic jam where my engine would had been running at least 8 times longer than it should have been.

Thumbs Up from me! 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #111490 29th Aug 2011 10:12 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

"That's what stop/start is for! " yeah i know that but thats fine if its a company car ! but if its private and you have to pay to run it you don't want such an abortion.
who's also going to be able to afford and run all this stuff when its a few years old ?

My E250 merc which was a 59 plate also kept cutting out on a motorway and you would have to coast to the hard shoulder and re-start ! and Merc could never find out why

Post #111492 29th Aug 2011 10:34 pm
parallax33

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

When its more than a few years old it won't be mine Very Happy 2012 DISCOVERY 4 GS AUTO ORKNEY GREY
2012 FREELANDER 2 SD4 GS AUTO BALTIC BLUE - GONE
2011 FREELANDER 2 TD4 GS MANUAL BALI BLUE - GONE

Post #111494 29th Aug 2011 10:35 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Have the stop/start for several years now. Done +50k miles with it and never had any issue whatsoever with the system so far. Doesn't really stop that often becouse I seem to forget to release my clutch most of the time.

I always seem to deliberatly have to remind me to release it to invoke the system, mostly when standing still for some time already. Then if I stand still long enough it just starts on it's own, probably becouse I always heve my airco on and the sound system I put in draws quite some juice out of the battery.

In any case, don't mind that it's there and in fact like it becouse when standing still at a light the car can't get any quieter then that.

As for fuel consumption, I don't think it has any practical impact. I think the way you drive the car does.

I recently noticed, as I do a 40 mile one-way comute every day, that keeping yourself to the allowed speed limits saves me about 10% on a tank of fuel. This by only reducing my avg speed on the highway with about 10mph.

I've also noticed there's not much more difference in fuel consumption if you go 10mph too fast or 30mph. It's the first 10 that does seem to make the difference. Even off-roading does not seem to noticably impact the fuel consumption.

Have they tweeked the car to be most economical below allowed speeds?

Post #111525 30th Aug 2011 9:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I have stop/start and I like it. I get a lot of use out of it coming out of Derby after work and the tax worked out at £115 for 6 months but the auto is £145 for 6 months. A decent saving. MY11 is even cheaper partly thanks to the troublesome DPF.

The starter motor is heavy duty to cope and I have not had any trouble with it. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #111600 30th Aug 2011 7:10 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

Yup, I agree, the LR version works just fine. no probs at all with mine. I suspect that long term, it will also prolong the life of the clutch, since sitting with yer foot on it waiting will inevitably break it eventually ......  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #111637 30th Aug 2011 11:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1