« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > problems starting...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kostaschrys

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black
problems starting...

After 3.5 years of ownership without any serious problem, suddenly problems came up within a week time.
First the cooling fan stopped working. I had it changed along with the electronic module (cost around 500GBP)
After that the driver’s xenon started giving a purple light and after a day died. Gives only a flash when you turn them on, and then nothing. Does the whole xenon light need replacement (sounds expensive)
After that at a time I removed the key from the ignition various messages were shown ( drivers door open, pass door open, rear door open, bonnet open, tailgate open, steering column locked). I put back the key, I started the engine and the whole instrument cluster was dead eventhough the engine was running. I switched off and then on and everything was back to normal.
Since all of the above occurred in 5day period do you think that are connected somehow or bad luck?
Any help appreciated

Post #111393 28th Aug 2011 6:15 pm
alex_pescaru

My opinion: no connection.
Just some coincidences.
For the light, you will have to change only the bulb. The ballast will remain.
So look for a D1S xenon bulb. In fact in the handbook you'll find information on how to remove the bulb. Then try to source an identical one, but not at the dealer. On the free market.
The fans, now that are changed, it's not important anymore. In your place, I for one, would try to open it and see what's the problem. Maybe just a simple case of changing the carbon collector brushes.
As for the IC, a imperfect electrical connection could give such manifestation. In the end, on a such electronically equipped vehichle as FL2 is, there are chances that this could happen... In the worst case, could be a problem with the firmware inside one of the ECU's. Some memory loosing its content. In that case the module should be replaced or rewritten.

Post #111395 28th Aug 2011 7:03 pm
Kostaschrys

Thanks Alex,

I have the same opinion that probably is no connection but all these in a few days brink other thoughts in mind…
I tried to find a car electrician for the fan (the i6 has only one, which is strange) but this time of the year, is the peak holiday time for Greece and most independent car garages are closed. With the ambient temperature at 35°C the expensive trip at the dealers was like one way street.
For the light bulb I will change it myself with the D1S xenon as you mentioned. I had read the manual but I didn’t know if the bulb with the ballast need replacing or only the bulb.
As for the IC since for the last 2 days works OK I hope that will stay as it is.

Thanks again for the info Thumbs Up

Post #111398 28th Aug 2011 8:07 pm
taztastic

England 

Kostaschrys, if you change the lamp, I strongly recommend changing both or there is a good chance they will be different colours, use the good one as an emergency spare.

Paul

Post #111401 28th Aug 2011 9:00 pm
Kostaschrys

I was wondering about that, thinking as well what is the OEM type 4300K or 6000K.

Post #111403 28th Aug 2011 9:15 pm
taztastic

England 

4300k Thumbs Up

Post #111405 28th Aug 2011 9:31 pm
Kostaschrys

perfect Thumbs Up

Post #111406 28th Aug 2011 9:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1