« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Dashboard Lighting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BANTAM104

Dashboard Lighting

Hi all

I have recently received a new Freelabder HSE (Manual) in Sumatra Black, one thing i have noticed is that driving at night the dash lights are very dim. I have adjusted these with the switch but still not that very bright. Is there any other way that these can be made brighter.

As an aside i am well pleased with the LR, after coming from an Audi Avant i was undure if i had made the right decision, within 2 days i am conviced that this is the better car, and we have not had any snow yet.

Tony On Order
Freelander 2 HSE Manual in Sumatra Black.
Currently Own
Audi A4 B8 Avant 1.8TFSI SLine SE

Post #110381 16th Aug 2011 8:19 pm
exmilade

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Tony
Sorry I can't provide an answer, only advice/experience.
My late 07 F2 (manual) has the dashboard lighting variable control.
I find that mine provides a very very bright dashboard when in the full position, so much so that I prefer to drive at night with it on the minimum setting.
If you strip the dashboard apart, you will not find bulbs lighting it, it is very likely to be surface mount LEDs on the main printed circuit board as this is what was on my 1999 Discovery II.
So I would suggest that there could be a problem with the lighting system and I would suspect the dashboard lighting variable control itself.
Hope this helps.
Ade

Post #110460 17th Aug 2011 9:21 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Bantam104,
If the panel dimming switch is operating normallly, ie the panel lights go brighter or dimmer when you operate the switch, then i'm afriad there's nowt you can do. The panel dimming uses a electronic technique called Pulse Width Modulation. When the panel dim switch is turned to full brightness, this circiut is bypassed to full voltage so i'm afraid you're stuck with it.
Must admit, i found the panel illumination on the dim side when i first bought my FL2, my eyes have adjusted since so it's no problem.
Depends how bright your Audi was.

Glad to hear from someone who has gone from teutonic to British made, good fellow Thumbs Up

PS, don't tell me you got 104bhp from a BSA Bantam, i'd never believe you Laughing Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #110467 17th Aug 2011 11:54 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Pegleg wrote:
Bantam104,

PS, don't tell me you got 104bhp from a BSA Bantam, i'd never believe you Laughing

More like 104 Bantams before giving up on trying to find one without an oil leak. Rolling with laughter

My apologies, couldn't resist it! Thumbs Up

Post #110494 18th Aug 2011 3:39 pm
athelstan

Wing wrote:
Pegleg wrote:
Bantam104,

PS, don't tell me you got 104bhp from a BSA Bantam, i'd never believe you Laughing

More like 104 Bantams before giving up on trying to find one without an oil leak. Rolling with laughter

My apologies, couldn't resist it! Thumbs Up

I had a jolly little Bezzer Bantam ex military green camouflaged paint and metal side panniers - my first motorbike - cost me £17 plus lots of hours and help from dad to get it looking and running sweetly.

It had a heart that was willing enough and kept its oil where it should have been. Acceleration can be described as delayed, brakes faded very rapidly, lights of little lumen, handling was an uncomfortable rodeo experience despite a spring mounted "Brookes" style saddle but, it delivered shed loads of fun to a naughty pubescent lad in the early '60's. It too had very dim "dashboard" lighting Smile

Post #110498 18th Aug 2011 4:56 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Dashboard Lighting

BANTAM104 wrote:
one thing i have noticed is that driving at night the dash lights are very dim. I have adjusted these with the switch but still not that very bright. Is there any other way that these can be made brighter.

As an aside i am well pleased with the LR, after coming from an Audi Avant i was undure if i had made the right decision, within 2 days i am conviced that this is the better car,
Tony

Im not sure you can judge how good a car is based on the brightness of its dashboard lights.

Post #110523 18th Aug 2011 9:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1