Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Has anyone had the Garmin 1490T installed by the dealers?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 7 <1234567
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

PM'd Thumbs Up

Post #110160 13th Aug 2011 4:53 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Egipp, I have the 1490 mounted in the dash but the masking around yours makes the job look really professional. May I have more details of the masking please, material, method of making etc. I see the dimensions on the gallery but I just need to know how to make it, if I can!! Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #110185 14th Aug 2011 6:49 am
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Ralphk, The mask is as the large one in my gallery, although you can equally use the smaller one which gives easier access to the Garmin. The material is 1mm plastic sheet, sprayed with matt black plastic paint; I obtained the paint from a model shop in a small aerosol which had enough to do three coats, working on the principle of successive light coats rather than one heavy coat which might run. The actual hole to fit over the unit was laser cut by a local plastics shop. I removed the glossy black Garmin face plate - can be carefully unclipped from the unit, it's only a finisher with the main frame screwed on underneath - and then gave the Garmin to the plastic shop so that the centre hole was precisely cut. It would certainly be beyond my capabilities to cut it as neatly! By doing it this way, the 1mm sheet is a perfect fit for the depth of the inner frame. When fitting the mask I used masking tape to hold it in position whilst I refixed the OE box and the console surround. This was to stop it moving and being marked whilst doing the final positioning. Once in place it's perfectly OK.
Be glad to help further if I can. Incidentally, on a post from 'Stuey' re Garmin parts from the UK in 'Maintenance and Mods', there's a contact for a UK plastics shop which may be of interest.
Cheers, Graham

Post #110187 14th Aug 2011 8:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 7 <1234567