« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Quality Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andy66

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Quality Issues

My wife’s car is now 22 months old and has covered 25,000 miles and we are both very disappointed at how badly some of the interior trim is ageing.

I took the car up to my local Land Rover dealer the other day to point out the issues below:-

• The folding wing mirrors were replaced under warranty last September as they were creaking and juddering. Once again they are creaking and juddering. However, the technician cured this by pulling the wing mirrors quite vigorously in the opposite way in which they fold i.e. towards the front of the car. He did this a dozen or so times to each side ‘to help with the self lubrication’ and that I thought had done the trick. However, I unlocked the car this morning and the driver’s side mirror is creaking and juddering again.

• Driver’s cloth seat is showing signs of wear on both side bolsters and also on the bottom corner of the seat pad, nearest the door. The material which is black is turning white!

• Drivers side door trim where the door handle is, again this black cloth on this marks very easily and is looking really shabby.

• Interior plastic trim around all four window glass areas. Again this trim seems to mark very easily and appears to no longer fit very well. I pointed this out to the technician who said that these have been known to expand with the heat and contract with the cold and as such can end up not fitting as tightly as when they were first installed.

• On the tailgate, there is a grey plastic piece that sticks out that houses the number plate lights. Ours is no longer all one colour of grey and when looked at in daylight seems to be blotchy. Also where this piece is attached the main tailgate, at the edges the paint is starting to lift.

After pointing out these issues with the car the technician says that they are what he would describe as fair wear and tear! Shocked

I was stunned by this comment about a car that is less than two years old, cost over £25,000 brand new and is considered to be a prestigious brand such as Audi, BMW etc.

The technician did refer me to the service advisor who took pictures of the above and has said that he would contact Land Rover Customer Relations on our behalf. The service advisor also said that in his opinion he would also describe the above items as fair wear and tear. I got the feeling that neither of them took me seriously and that they are just going through the motions. I fully expect to get a phone call in a week or so from them saying that Land Rover Customer Relations will not replace any of these items.

Has anyone else noticed these issues on their cars?

Am I being too picky and should I accept that these items are fair wear and tear?

We are considering selling/part exchanging the car in the next few months and are concerned that when we try either selling or part exchanging it we will lose value because the trim looks so worn for a car of this age.

Thanks.

Andy

PS – Chicken George, would you kindly refrain from any sarcastic comments, posting irrelevant pictures and generally hijacking this thread – thanks. Freelander 2, GS, TD4_e in Stornaway Grey.

Post #108352 22nd Jul 2011 3:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

• The folding wing mirrors
Might need a bit of lubrication adding, cleaning out grit/dust

• Driver’s cloth seat is showing signs of wear on both side bolsters and also on the bottom corner of the seat pad, nearest the door. The material which is black is turning white!
Your saying its loosing its dye/wearing? I agree this should be covered on warranty depending of severity

• Drivers side door trim where the door handle is, again this black cloth on this marks very easily and is looking really shabby.
Can't blame LR for you marking it

• Interior plastic trim around all four window glass areas.
Its plastic so will mark (though mine hasn't) but neither have mine got bigger gaps appearing0

• On the tailgate, there is a grey plastic piece that sticks out that houses the number plate lights. Ours is no longer all one colour of grey and when looked at in daylight seems to be blotchy. Also where this piece is attached the main tailgate, at the edges the paint is starting to lift.
This could as a result of wash n wax type products, bleach the plastic, but if the paint hasn't been chipped and is peeling then should be cover on warranty
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #108353 22nd Jul 2011 3:31 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey
Re: Quality Issues

Andy66 wrote:

• The folding wing mirrors were replaced under warranty last September as they were creaking and juddering. Once again they are creaking and juddering. However, the technician cured this by pulling the wing mirrors quite vigorously in the opposite way in which they fold i.e. towards the front of the car. He did this a dozen or so times to each side ‘to help with the self lubrication’ and that I thought had done the trick. However, I unlocked the car this morning and the driver’s side mirror is creaking and juddering again.

Has anyone else noticed these issues on their cars?

Andy

PS – Chicken George, would you kindly refrain from any sarcastic comments, posting irrelevant pictures and generally hijacking this thread – thanks.

I get the mirror problem but just a quick squirt of WD40 on the hinge points sorts it out for 6 months, easy to do.

Post #108355 22nd Jul 2011 3:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Andy66 wrote:

PS – Chicken George, would you kindly refrain from any sarcastic comments, posting irrelevant pictures and generally hijacking this thread – thanks.

Is anyone else asked not to do such things,or just me.

sounds like wear and tear to me, get a grip At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #108358 22nd Jul 2011 4:13 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

my HSE is about the same age, although only done 13000mls.

I'll check these items and see what they are like, but I'm sure I would have noticed if there was a problem.

does your car come under the "well used" category ? with young kids/pets, etc on board ?

Iain

ps and frequent trips to the skips ?

Post #108359 22nd Jul 2011 4:16 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Andy66 wrote:

I fixed mine by squirting Armorall (a vinyl trim protectant) into the workings. I guess it just lubed it enough while the actual lubing mechanism wasnt't coping.

Quote:

I fixed this my using a *very slightly* abrasive sponge to rub off all the marks. I must admit, mine looked more like water marks than anything. Do so at your own risk.

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #108382 22nd Jul 2011 10:56 pm
Andy66

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the replies. I gave the mirrors a squirt of WD40 at the weekend and all is now silent and judder free.

I also used some Autoglym trim cleaner on the interior plastics and they look a lot better.

Thanks.

Andy Freelander 2, GS, TD4_e in Stornaway Grey.

Post #108495 25th Jul 2011 10:05 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

use silicon spray not wd, wd will attract dust/grit making a rubbing compound At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #108496 25th Jul 2011 10:13 am
taztastic

England 

WD40 is great as a short term fix, I think WD realised this as you can now buy a WD40 Silicone spray.

Paul

Post #108498 25th Jul 2011 10:25 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

chicken george wrote:
use silicon spray not wd, wd will attract dust/grit making a rubbing compound

Totally agree with CG on this one. I've used 3 in 1 Silicone spray since I've had this car and the wing mirrors work perfectly. I've had my car for nearly 3 years now and I can't say the interior is particularly 'shabby' . It had the odd wear and tear mark, but there again so do all cars. People seem to put Audi, Mercedes and BMW on a pedestal, stating they are the pinnacle of 'german engineering'. Having experienced all three marques, I have to say I don't see a massive difference in build quality. LR don't have the same level of reliability as some german makes, but on the whole they are very good.

At the end of the day, you get out of a car what you put in Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #108510 25th Jul 2011 4:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1