Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Rear Wheel Hub?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
themightymcphed

Rear Wheel Hub?

Hey everyone! Was looking for some technical advice from people in the know.
Every so often, I get a "womp womp womp" sound from the LHS read wheel. I seems to be after it has been sat in the rain. It is only up to about 15-20 mph and then after a bit of a drive it goes away.
I originally thought it was the brake binding on overnight? The driving and braking subsequently rubbing off the "stuck on" bits???
I seem to be noticing it more now (although it doesn't seem to stop raining at the moment!) and it seems to be louder when turning RIGHT.
Could this be my wheel bearing? I jacked up the corner and rotated the wheel. There is a slight rubbing/scraping noise and every so often a squeek coming from the centre of the hub. The wheel has no movement in it. When I jacked up the other side, there was less of a rubbing/scraping noise (but still slight). BTW, this was with the brakes still attached to the car.

Sorry for the long post, was just wondering if anyone with technical knowledge could share their wisdom and opinion with me.

Many thanks
Iain As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #108076 19th Jul 2011 9:17 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

bearing or drive shaft At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #108078 19th Jul 2011 9:36 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Mine was making similar noises and turned out to be handbrake shoes worn and rubbing on drum.

Post #108082 19th Jul 2011 10:16 am
themightymcphed

snappa wrote:
Mine was making similar noises and turned out to be handbrake shoes worn and rubbing on drum.

Thanks snappa. I thought that could be the issue, but I only had the complete rear brakes changed about 6-7 months ago. Will be raging if LR quality is THAT bad. As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #108083 19th Jul 2011 10:21 am
themightymcphed

chicken george wrote:
bearing or drive shaft

Thanks chicken george. Do you know of any way to differentiate one from t'other by any chance? As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #108084 19th Jul 2011 10:23 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Agree with CG but more likely the hub bearing in my opinion. You have commented that the noise is coming from the LH rear and when you turn right it gets worse. The action of turning right does put more load onto the left hand side of the car and so more load into the bearing. Can you find a car park or quiet road where you can throw the car around a bit and do a definate comparison between the left hand and right hand load transfer.
The only doubt I have on the bearing is your comment that after a while it goes away - generally the womp womp womp would remain or possibly get worse as the bearing warms up and any residual grease gets thinner.

Post #108087 19th Jul 2011 11:18 am
themightymcphed

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Agree with CG but more likely the hub bearing in my opinion. You have commented that the noise is coming from the LH rear and when you turn right it gets worse. The action of turning right does put more load onto the left hand side of the car and so more load into the bearing. Can you find a car park or quiet road where you can throw the car around a bit and do a definate comparison between the left hand and right hand load transfer.
The only doubt I have on the bearing is your comment that after a while it goes away - generally the womp womp womp would remain or possibly get worse as the bearing warms up and any residual grease gets thinner.

Thanks macphersonstrut. I will try that on the way home. Is the bearing something that could be done on the driveway? I'm not in a mechanical profession, but I am (fairly Confused ) intelligent and can follow instructions and give most things a try. Does it require special tools or anything?
Does anyone have any instructions on doing this - or point me in the direction of them?

Thanks very much to everyone who has helped so far. Very friendly forum! Hope everyone is having a good day.

Cheers
Iain As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #108089 19th Jul 2011 11:41 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Can't assist with how easy it is - sorry. How about making a warm cocoa drink (as a relaxant) sitting down in your favourite comfy chair dialling the telephone number of your local LR dealer asking for the service desk and just after you say ''how much to replace a LH NS wheel bearing on a FL2 please'' you put your thumb and index finger together and say Hoommmmmmmm (That's supposed to relax you as well Laughing ). You could also get there opinion of the noise as well. You never know, might not be a second mortgage 1 hour labour £50, parts £50 (Well you can wish !)

Post #108094 19th Jul 2011 12:14 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Just spoke to a nice man at a well known North East LR service centre.

Said there have been a few problems with the rear diffs which appear to be wheel bearing issues.

He would like to take a look and give a definite diagnosis.

But to replace the rear wheel bearing would be about £100 - 120 ish... 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #108101 19th Jul 2011 12:53 pm
alex_pescaru

themightymcphed wrote:
Is the bearing something that could be done on the driveway?
Does it require special tools or anything?

No, it can't be done on the driveway. At least not the removal of the bearing itself.
You'll need some (special) tools and the help that you'll only find on a workshop.
And be prepared to say goodbye to the old bearing, no matter if it's defective or not, as its removal will damage it.

Post #108102 19th Jul 2011 12:55 pm
themightymcphed

oooft! Thanks very much for the replies people. Away to phone Stratstone then. Big Cry As a man thinketh, in his heart so is he

Post #108105 19th Jul 2011 1:03 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

alex_pescaru wrote:
themightymcphed wrote:
Is the bearing something that could be done on the driveway?
Does it require special tools or anything?

No, it can't be done on the driveway. At least not the removal of the bearing itself.
You'll need some (special) tools and the help that you'll only find on a workshop.
And be prepared to say goodbye to the old bearing, no matter if it's defective or not, as its removal will damage it.

I imagine youll need access to a decent press and possible hub puller kit, not something everyone has in their own garage/kit.

Post #108114 19th Jul 2011 3:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1