Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Roof Load For Roof Tent
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

We had a roof tent on our FL1, OK tent was only in the region of 35Kg, but the Mrs weighs around 45kg, and I weigh in at (well)over 100Kg, we had no problem in the year that we had it fitted.

As long as the roof load does not exceed the 75Kg limit when driving you should be OK.
Bearing in mind we did one spectacular dash at over 80MPH for 10 miles off-road and were airborne for what seemed an awful lot of it, with no damage to the roof - OK a wheel was destroyed but it was fun Razz . One Disco on the same run had the roof rack collapse, another shoved the front suspension turrets into the bonnet - and still beat the Series III to the bar Very Happy Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #105451 17th Jun 2011 5:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Isn't some of the load taken when you extend the tent over the rear of the car by upright supports? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #105463 17th Jun 2011 7:12 pm
Swingwing

Why would you want to sleep on the roof? Tricky if you want a pee at darkO'Clock!

Post #105465 17th Jun 2011 7:17 pm
EYorkshire

^ Only if the sunroof is open Laughing

Post #105468 17th Jun 2011 7:22 pm
Swingwing

with leather - GS only!

Post #105469 17th Jun 2011 7:24 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
Isn't some of the load taken when you extend the tent over the rear of the car by upright supports?

Ours opened sideways so the cantilevered load was taken by the ladder.

If "camping" where there are scorpions ie Morrocco then sleeping on the roof makes sense, for that matter SWMBO suddenly liked the idea of being away from creepy crawlies after fellow campers found scorpions under the rocks in the mountains.
Ever tried to put up a ground tent (kite!) in when the wind is blowing in the desert, even in the lee of several vehicles, eventually you will take a fancy to sleeping in the car. Laughing

Ours had the extension skirt, take a porta potti and you have a toilet tent that you can ener without leaving the tent - your fellow travellers might "complain" about you cheating and not keeping in the spirit of expeditioning, but they were never going to win SWMBO over to using a shovel behind the next dune/tree. Shocked Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #105522 18th Jun 2011 1:32 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Currently building roof racks for FL2 and having been up close and personal with the tracks, bolt holes and so forth I wouldn't put a roof-top tent on top. It's not the tent that matters but the humans that climb inside. At 105Kgs. I wouldn't even lean too hard on the roof, let alone climb up with a partner!
Roof-top tents were designed in Africa to keep the humans away from lions and other pesky things that like to eat you. Being up reasonably high (normally on top of a troopy, landcruiser, defender etc) was a very good idea. In countries where the most dangerous animal is some goober who consumes too much chardonay, being on a roof doesn't always make so much sense. If you want to head down to the river for a spot of fishing, you have to pack everything up. If you want to duck up to the local shop for a 6-pack, you have to pack everything up - it doesn't always make sense practically. The alternative is to have a roof rack where you store a decent tent and other stuff whilst driving but your camp doesn't have to be packed up every time you want to use your vehicle - even if for a few minutes. Personally, I tow a camper trailer if I'm doing a serious camp or longer trip. For shorter trips, I have a matress in the back of the FL2 and a "throw-out tent" to store the gear that is normally transported in the back on top of the matress whilst driving. This way, when I break camp everything needed for the night is taken out of the FL2. When it's time to retire, the throw-out is activated (takes about 5 seconds) and all our bags, chairs and containers are put inside, leaving a clear, dry and comfy bed in the back of the FL2. It takes about 30 seconds to pack up a throw-out tent, it weighs about 3 kilos and fits easily in the back. Having experienced roof-top tents over many years, I'd suggest you seriously consider less complicated means to achieve the same goal - unless of course, you have lions in your campground.

Post #105526 18th Jun 2011 1:55 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Andy - missed your post about Scorpions before I added mine - good point. Creepy, crawly critters are excellent birth control devices for some people trying to sleep in ground based tents. Down here, the scorpions are something to consider and a tent on a roof seems like a good idea, except that most big snakes like to crawl up small-ish obstacles likes 4WD's! We're lucky, there's no Lions down under and the crocodiles are only dangerous next to creeks and rivers in the far north (which is why we take dogs camping with us up there as they are far more convenient snacks!).

Post #105535 18th Jun 2011 3:01 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

To quote our Aussi friends "no worries", We are all entitled to our own opinions, based on own experiences, life would be boring if we all agreed all the time - even if (I think)I am always right!
But I do agree, having to pack everything away to nip out for a six pack is a right pain, as is some Censored nicking your pitch while you have nipped out for the said six pack. Thats one of the reasons we tried and hated our one and only campervan holiday.

Weight wise I have used a piece of plywood on the roof bars several times as a work platform, surprising what sparkys get up to Very Happy , ladder on the back door helps.

For the G4 FL2, Breed roof racks are fitted, these may have different mounting points from the standard roof bars. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #105573 19th Jun 2011 11:47 am
jaxbeach

United States 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Narvik Black

Thanks for all the replies - sleeping in the LR2 ans have gear in the tent makes sense.

Post #105576 19th Jun 2011 1:58 pm
Bill Chiu

China 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

npinks wrote:

theres also another member, often posts pictures up of himself driving down jungle roads, i can't remember his name though Confused

It's me. See the latest pictures below taken in the 2010 annual gathering of Taiwan Land Rover Club (TLRC).
My family of 4 over 200kgs in total sleep in the tent without problem.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Bill Chiu on 23rd Jun 2011 8:06 am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #105788 22nd Jun 2011 10:27 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

it is you Bow down no wonder i could not find you when searching, you need change your name to Bob Laughing Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #105790 22nd Jun 2011 11:22 am
EYorkshire

10 out of 10 for doing something most people wouldn't dream of doing Thumbs Up So did you disregard LR roof weight limit and went ahead anyway, proving that the car is more capable than their published figures?
Or do you think LR are playing safe with their figures?

Does it rock a bit if someone turns over in the night? Shocked

Post #105795 22nd Jun 2011 1:41 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Nice photos. Thanks. It would suit some people.

Post #105803 22nd Jun 2011 2:48 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Interesting thought just came to mind.

If 75kg is the max roof loading.

That means there is no chance if it rolls as there would be about 2 tonnes pressing down on the roof.... Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #105804 22nd Jun 2011 2:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>