Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > To many Clutch problems on my freelander 2.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BonnyBubble

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tangiers Orange
To many Clutch problems on my freelander 2.

I bought my freelander2 last November. Was very happy with it although it was making a grateing noise on start up. Long story short.. After it locking in 5 gear every other time I took it out I got back onto the garage we got it from. Turned out the fly wheel had gone and it was " wear and tear " hell no!! We had only had it 4 months, I'm a woman but even I'd be hard pushed to wreck a clutch in that short time. Stood my ground and finally the warrenty company paid ( six weeks it took them, and bitching about useing generic parts that you can't get ) sooo finally I get my car back all is well so I think

Till it periodically won't start, you have to disconected the battery leave it off then reconect and it will then start...

Then... I'm picking my kids up and the clutch is on the floor won't engage won't move. Honestly I couldn't belive it one moment find next nothing! At this point I want to set fire to the dam thing.

Get it towed back in call company back, get angry! Garage calls to say the Clutch master thingys gone.

So I'm wondering should I keep the polished turd or get rid, is the really anything else that can go wrong or and I'm dumped with clutch problems ever 700 miles? And help with this would be appreciated before I do set fire to it.

Post #103815 31st May 2011 12:20 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Try contacting JLR directly. Seems to be too big an issue to let the dealer sort it out.

Post #103831 31st May 2011 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

hi
you dont say how old ur freelander is rainy-city
xs

Post #103842 31st May 2011 2:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Its a 2008 (hover over her car symbol)

Post #103843 31st May 2011 3:26 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

its quite common for hydraulics to fail after clutch replacement.
When a clutch is replaced the action is lighter and there isnt the same amount of pressure on the hydraulic seals so if there is any weakness this is when they fail, in addition just the fact that the hydraulics are disturbed internally by hydraulic displacement causing any microscopic debris to cause further damage.
When i used to replace clucthes I always used to recommend replcement hydraulics at the same time, and if they advise wasnt accepted the customer had to sign a disclaimer.
You dont mention at what mileage your clutch has failed ?

Remember, diesel engines produce so much tourque, only use the clutch for pulling away and changing gear using as little revs or no revs if possible. Under no circumstances hold the car on the clutch when at a junction or hill or queuing in traffic, not even for a few seconds ! the reason is the heat build up is rapid and the dual mass flywheels fail, but as an added bonus the resins in the clutch material melt and make the surfaces all sticky !
The sympton of this is normally once the clutch has been burnt once ! gear selection may become more difficult or cluncky ! Thumbs Up

Post #103913 1st Jun 2011 8:57 am
BonnyBubble

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Tangiers Orange

It's got 31000 miles on the clock. We have been on the phone to LR head office this morning and there unhelpfull and won't admit that it's a common fault.

Our warrenty company will only pay for 1 hours labour plus part leaving use with the extra 2 hours to pay total £180 quid. I'm sick of ploughing cash into this car. This still won't solve the none starting issues so that will be next on the list of things to go wrong that we will end up shelling out for on a car we have owned less than a year.

Frustrated isn't the word for it now!

Thanks for all the advice but I think it's time to move on and get rid.

Post #103959 1st Jun 2011 3:00 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

what are the symptons of non start ?

Does it turn over but not fire ?
Does it turn over slowly and not start ?
does it not turn over at all ?
Is the vehicle giving you the impression the battery is flat ?
Is the battery flat or is it just going to sleep ?
How do you start it when it gets in a non start mode ?

Without knowing the symptons its difficult to know what the problem is !
Do you leave it parked unlocked ? important as the vehicle may go to sleep to save the battery !
To be honest the clutch and hydraulics are wear and tear and I guess you dont know how it was driven before you bought it ! you need to understand yes they are heavey on clutches but a fair amount of 4x4's are due to their size and power delivery ! ask a Toyota Rav owner about that one ! 11-1300 quid for a clutch on a regular basis

Post #103960 1st Jun 2011 3:08 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I think a lot of problems occur in the future because of how the car was treated during its first few thousand miles, and buying secondhand you often dont know how it was, if it was thrashed from the word go its never going to be any good, one good reason for buying brand new.

Post #103969 1st Jun 2011 3:55 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

agree with posts from oldgeezer and Mona Geeza, and both could point to your problems now.

interesting points on clutch wear oldgeezer.

Iain

Post #103975 1st Jun 2011 5:18 pm
dunroof

The non start could be something as simple as a faulty starter button, but people are right, we need more details.

Post #103986 1st Jun 2011 7:10 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

My previous 07 manual Freelander had done 36000 miles and the clutch was still fine when I changed it.

Seem to recall reading somewhere that to ensure the car shuts down fully you have to fully lock it (double press on the key fob). This apparently tells the car that all systems are to shut down and reduces the drain on the battery.

Post #103994 1st Jun 2011 8:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1