Home > My Freelander 2 > New FL2 - new to the marque
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jubilado Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
New FL2 - new to the marque

Hi

Just arrived on your forum - recently migrated over from the Jaguar XJ forum - traded in my lovely XJ long wheel base for my new - collected today - Freelander 2 - 08 plate HSE in Santorini black with Alpaca leather, 33k on the clock. Seems to be a standard spec car - with the addition of side-steps - I'm not sure about them yet. Car was a bit of a drama - bought from my usually excellent local JLR dealer - Frosts of Shoreham - unfortunately they sourced the car from Barretts of Kent (not too many in black with tan leather around) - where my disappointment began.

Car took over a week to arrive at my dealer, turned up so filthy inside it appeared never to have been cleaned from new. Had a small rip on the side seam of the driver seat, and 3 of the 4 tyres were around 3mm tread. Seriously considered rejecting the car but price seemed ok and trade-in price was good.

Frosts have now sorted out the issues - having a full set of new Goodyears fitted in a few days, first class valet/deep clean carried out - amazing result, serviced, MOT done, cherished plates admin commenced, and extended warranty upgraded to 2 years as a sweetener for the hassle.

Hopefully the car will be as much fun and as reliable as the Jag was - FL2 dealer history shows only 2 small issues logged since new - fuse problem - and new heater component fitted in 2009. Already been trawling through the forum to get a feel for the characters - and the common issues - looking forward to engaging in Freelander related discussion.

Very new to this style of motoring - needed something more practical for everyday use, frequent winter trips to Scotland, and more friendly for my wife to drive - she found the Jag too long and wide to negotiate city traffic with confidence.

Will post some pics when I have buffed it up this weekend.

Regards

Post #100087 27th Apr 2011 8:18 pm
R1JIM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

welcome to the forum, im sure you will love the FL2 and you even have the right colour Smile as you will find out soon you either love it or hate it . personally black is best ,, good choice. Thumbs Up
happy motoring. TO DARE IS TO DO

Post #100100 27th Apr 2011 9:14 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Welcome Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #100101 27th Apr 2011 9:16 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Like the others said "welcome to the forum" Just one thing to watch out for on the extended warrantee on my Kia I had wiring corrosion and was told the extended warrantee didn't cover the car electrics.

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #100106 27th Apr 2011 9:57 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Welcome and I confirm you have chosen your colour wisely Thumbs Up

Post #100107 27th Apr 2011 10:00 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Welcome Thumbs Up and good colour choice... I deliberatly went for black on alpaca being by far on e of the nicer combinations Wink Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100117 27th Apr 2011 10:39 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

welcome to the forum!

As part of the initiation ceremony you now need to fit a towbar and buy a caravan, one of our trusted farmer members will be more than happy to assist... Whistle Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #100146 28th Apr 2011 11:17 am
Jubilado Boy

Thanks for the welcome.

First couple of weeks - had the damaged driver seat repaired under warranty - nice job - undetectable.
Had the new complementary tyres fitted - all 4 now new Wranglers.
Given it a decent clay/polish - paintwork really gleaming on the Santorini - silver flakes stand out great.

Still work to do on the interior - carpets still not 100%, still faint smell - 3 years of fags and lack of a clean probably didn't help. Trying the odour sponges under the seats - it is helping.

Sidesteps are a bit grimy - need to try some cleaning products on the aluminium edges.

Aftermarket tints - excellent job by Tintwise Eastbourne - LR exact colour match and really well fitted.

MPG - average 29 - hoped for more - not fussed though - car drives really well.

Very happy Freelander owner. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #103458 27th May 2011 4:06 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

shilen wrote:
welcome to the forum!

As part of the initiation ceremony you now need to fit a towbar and buy a caravan, one of our trusted farmer members will be more than happy to assist... Whistle

I'm saying nothing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #103465 27th May 2011 5:32 pm
Swingwing

Welcome I love SD4 and you will love FL2. My towbar goes on next week - for the GARDEN TRAILER! I'm having twin 27mm Mauser cannon fitted to front end for caravans.

Post #103473 27th May 2011 7:05 pm
Swingwing

OFF TOPIC - Has anyone noticed that when youm write a reply it reads perfectly - yhen you hit submit.
Hang on my glass is emtpy.

Post #103478 27th May 2011 8:00 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

How is the wife finding the width in town and for parking? 6ft can be a bit tricky IMHO and a ding magnet in supermarket car parks....... Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #103551 28th May 2011 10:39 pm
Swingwing

If the last post is for me? - She's finding it easy, she just tells me how much room I've got on the left hand side.

Post #103554 28th May 2011 11:04 pm
Jubilado Boy

It's different from the long wheelbase Jaguar - got used to parking far away from everyone else where possible - with car sticking 2 feet out the back of spaces and tight for width. Also got used to avoiding parking next to cars with the driver seat hard up against steering wheel - often elderly women who open door very wide to get in/out - cars with loads of rubbish in the back (kids who don't pay attention to how they open car doors) - and child seats - limited door access for parents with small kids - all hazards to wide cars in car parks imho. (Apologies for the stereotyping to those drivers who are very short/keep their cars full of rubbish or still have small kids to drive around).

Wife only driven it a couple of times - no change there - but much happier with the shape of the car and driving position - doesn't feel wide and the shortish bonnet and no rear overhang much friendlier to drive than Jag with huge boot and bonnet.

So far so good. Mine: Freelander 2 HSE, 08. Santorini Black/Alpaca Leather, privacy glass, side steps.

Post #103555 28th May 2011 11:10 pm
russben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Welcome, Jubilado Boy.

julytourist wrote:
How is the wife finding the width in town and for parking? 6ft can be a bit tricky IMHO and a ding magnet in supermarket car parks.......

I park as far away from other cars as possible in carparks for that reason. Side steps will help though. Thumbs Up Poke it, Poke it, make it do it again!!

Gone - 2008 Freel2 HSE Santorini Black
Hello - 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black

Post #103650 29th May 2011 11:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1