« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > noisy steering wheel when I turn right
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black
noisy steering wheel when I turn right

I have now had, in the space of about 6 weeks, a new rack, a new resevoir and now a new pump. all to solve a non existant problem. Shocked The problem now is that after fitting the new rack, the steering makes a really annoying noise when turning right. A sort of high pitch whistelling noise, similar to that if you hold it on the stoppers but much worse, audible over the radio and happens whenever turning right. Banging Head

Clearly there are now no more parts which they can replaced, and as a rule the steering works (even though I think it feels heavier than it should) so the question is, should I still complain and try and get them to do something just becasue of the noise or do I put up and shut up? Sad

Had it been a new car I would almost certainly be sitting on the service desk until they sorted it, but as it is a used car with 50k miles and currently under extended warranty I'm not sure if it is worth the effort????

What do you guys think? I have about 6months left of the warranty, is it worth persisting - or sdo you think it is a case of get over it? Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100627 2nd May 2011 9:23 pm
taztastic

England 

If your not happy then why should you put up with it?

No more parts to replace, there are hundreds, it may be the steering moving the entire engine assembly on its mounts causing any number of problems?

Heavy steering? wheel alignment issue? difficult to get right on fancy independantly sprung cars, especially if it had a whallop at some time.

New car or not, it is under warranty, that implies the seller is confident that it will work without any problems?

Hope you get it sorted, just don't give in

Paul

Post #100629 2nd May 2011 9:33 pm
Captain Worm

Cheers Paul

I'm confident that it must be the rack or part of the power steering components as it never did it before they changed the rack, and it tracks straight and true and i dont have any problems with tyres wearing out... I guess what I am saying is, am I just being too fussy... Question

When I've said it before to one of the tech's at the garage they claimed it was a characteristic which is why I think its gonna be a hard battle as it is fairly subtle, although really annoying when driving it day in, day out.

I suspect I will be giving it another go, just not sure I have the energy now Big Cry Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100632 2nd May 2011 10:02 pm
taztastic

England 

I once drove an E-type jag, drove straight and true, was a joy to drive, except from behind it was obvious that the front and rear wheels were about 4" out of line. An extreme example I know, but don't settle if you are not happy.

I have a Merc C class, the aircon howls when its on, only in hot weather when its working hard, Mercedes have Censored about for two years and keep fobbing me off. Now they have found out I won't be ordering another, they are all over me, goes in for a free service in a couple of weeks time...muppets.

I seriously believe the greatest problem we have today is the lack of skilled engineers in the right job, no offence to LR technicians, do they really get trained on how it should work? or simply trained on how to change various bits. I suspect the latter, which probably causes most of todays angst with customers, they are simply clueless when a problem arises that a changed component won't fix.

maybe record the noise and post as a poll, we will see if we can hear it? Laughing

Post #100633 2nd May 2011 10:16 pm
Captain Worm

I agree - majority of tech's are probably just fitters and not proper mechanics... for example when they changed my rack they never changed the resevoir first time round, even though this is the major component that causes the problems.

I might just record the noise - see how it turns out and see if folk think it is normal Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100635 2nd May 2011 10:21 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Captain Worm wrote:
I agree - majority of tech's are probably just fitters and not proper mechanics... for example when they changed my rack they never changed the resevoir first time round, even though this is the major component that causes the problems.

Garanteed to wind up those of us who spent 4 years as apprentice maintenance fitters, and another 30 years working on the tools.
I suspect the technician involved knows perfectly well that the reservoir needs to be changed, but if the manager/LR warranty say no what would you do in his shoes?

More a case of finding a dealership where the service department put customer satisfaction before immediate profit. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #101311 9th May 2011 7:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1