« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Absolutely scandalous
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
taztastic

England 
Absolutely scandalous

Received this today after overstaying 36 minutes at Lymm services. OK I know it says max stay two hours, to prevent long term parking etc, but to get this after eating and drinking their very expensive food and coffee, I am astounded.
I have been advised not to pay and completely ignore it as it is nothing more than an invoice NOT a fine.
Has anybody else on here had this. Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Post #113389 15th Sep 2011 7:58 pm
EYorkshire

Watch this video, Watchdog says, no pay, it's not a criminal offence and its the driver that has to be seen and recognised for them to have a chance of succeeding. This expert says no way Jose.

For future reference always drive in and out of services with your sun visor down Thumbs Up

Last edited by EYorkshire on 15th Sep 2011 8:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #113394 15th Sep 2011 8:21 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

2.5 hours at the services Shocked either you like eating expensive slop or you checked into the motel with a glamorous assistant, if its the later then well done Id need around 2.5 minutes.

or did you spend 2 hours looking for you nondescriptly coloured car in the car park? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #113395 15th Sep 2011 8:28 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:
Watch this video, Watchdog says, no pay, it's not a criminal offence and its the driver that has to be seen and recognised for them to have a chance of succeeding. This expert says no way Jose.

For future reference always drive in and out of services with your sun visor down Thumbs Up

This is amazing news, thank you for posting that. I had a huge battle with a private parking company where they eventually gave up after plenty of threats and after the "appeals process" had proven to be a farce. I now know why....

Last edited by Tigger on 15th Sep 2011 9:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #113397 15th Sep 2011 8:32 pm
taztastic

England 

I suggested Cottons hotel in knutsford, the finance rep suggested Lymm, cost cutting Censored .
Got carried away with a finance master plan and spent ages in Costa Coffee.
How many people get sucked in and pay up.

CG, glamorous assistants get Otterburn Hall, in room jacuzzis Shocked

Post #113399 15th Sep 2011 8:36 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I wish I'd known this a couple of months ago after our neighbour was entrapped in this way and paid up.

Post #113405 15th Sep 2011 9:03 pm
EYorkshire

I've never had the misfortune of receiving one of them and to be honest, before I knew about this I may have been swayed by it to pay up.
I think they rely on the fear factor for their income and don't follow through with people who challenge it.

Post #113406 15th Sep 2011 9:06 pm
v40mav

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

This is shocking and should not be allowed.

The other question for me is why does DVLA provide these companies with confidential personal data.

Police getting this via a registration number yes, but not private companies.

Surely there has to something under "data protection rules" Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #113438 16th Sep 2011 7:58 am
EYorkshire

DVLA quotes that anyone can apply to use their database who has 'reasonable cause' plus each enquiry by these people earns a fee for the government.

Everything we do is held on record somewhere and that info more often than not is up for sale by someone.
Just take our Freel2 meeting at Halewood in October, everyone of us will be filmed at some point, ourself, our car, our registration, our route, our stops, it will all be recorded by someone and anyone that has access to the DVLA's database can legally extract the driver information and home address.

There's no place to hide Surprised unless you are a criminal then you are an unknown Confused

Quote:
Information from DVLA’s vehicle records
DVLA has to evaluate very carefully the reasons for the request as well as the way in which the information will be used before disclosing information. This means that information on the vehicle register can be lawfully made available for a variety of purposes, to the public and private sector bodies. A fee is charged to cover the cost of dealing with requests under the reasonable cause provisions.

Information can be sent to:

•the police
•local authorities
•car parking enforcement companies
•solicitors
•finance houses
•property managers
•private individuals who can provide ‘reasonable cause’ for needing the information

Post #113440 16th Sep 2011 8:15 am
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

An "in-capture" and an "out-capture" in no way proves you parked for 2.5 hours! You spent 0.75 hours getting fuel!

Idiots - don't pay.

Reminds me of my very unpleasant experience at a car park in Chester. I was close to (but had not exceeded) a time threshold. By the time I got to the pay point due to the incompetent bungling fool that worked there I had 'gone over' that threshold to the tune of £5. I said I only want to pay for the parking not the queuing - needless to say he was a 'job's worth' and I had to pay but no doubt the clock was ticking in all those cars behind me! Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #113443 16th Sep 2011 8:51 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Taz - Honest John of the Telegraph motoring supplement has been banging on for years about these scandalous fines and has always suggested sending a payment of a £10 as final settlement. A recent reader got caught and wrote this and I quote word for word....

My daughter recently received a parking ticket for an overstaying he welcome at Aldi Owestry, following your advice we sent £10 as ''reasonable compensation'' and I wrote a letter on her behalf containing the following:
''I do not consider I 'entered a contract' with you/your client as I was unaware of the time restrictions on the site. I now consider signage informing motorists to be inadequate, giving the sites relatively cramped nature. Preoccupations of safe driving should take precedence when entering the site. As a new customer of your client, I did not have the benefit of prior knowledge of the restrictions. I believe the provisions of Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 are applicable because I'm being asked to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation. As several other parking spaces were available during the times I was using the parking area, I do not believe you/your client suffered a pecuniary loss. I also believe a court would award only 'reasonable' compensation if it were shown a contract existed. Should you choose to persist in further demands for payment, consideration must be given for the offence of harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997'' - The agency parking eye dropped the matter almost immediately.
Honest Johns response was - ''Well done. That forms the basis of an excellent pro forma for any readers who have received similar fines''.
Not sure if it will help you Taz but worth printing out and keeping just in case Thumbs Up

Post #113448 16th Sep 2011 9:09 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I got one of these from a similar company and just ignored their very threatening letters after researching on the interweb. Some letters have a police type chequer border and so try to look official. Mrs Freedieselauto got quite perturbed by it and wanted me to just pay up when they got up to £200 - no chance!. They stopped eventually and I now have lots of chequer edged scap paper for scribbling.

Just ignore them and don't respond.

If you respond then they think you are on the hook and worth pursuing! - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #113450 16th Sep 2011 9:18 am
taztastic

England 

My little brother is checking the facts, I guess it will come down to completely ignoring it. What they have sent is an invoice that "appears" to be a fine or PCN.
I will await the threatening letters of court action.
So far it has cost them, first class postage and £2.50 for the DVLA search. The letter is very poor quality photocopy, not a proper letterhead.
I despair at how much money they must be making.
Once I have finalised and they go away, I will forward the letters to MOTO service stations, along with a letter distributed to all our staff stating that expense receipts from MOTO sites will no longer be accepted.
I see their expenses and they spend thousands in fuel and coffee there.
Their loss not mine, this type of boorish and threatening behaviour stinks and sadly epitomises the loss of "Great" in Britain.

Rant over Evil or Very Mad

Post #113451 16th Sep 2011 9:21 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

might be worth while editing out the fine reference as well, you wouldn't want any chicken farms writting to them accepting the fine Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #113452 16th Sep 2011 9:30 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

totally disgusting and a very amatuerish way of getting money out of people.

Post #113459 16th Sep 2011 10:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>