« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Spotted > Evoque arriving in the showroom yesterday
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
Evoque arriving in the showroom yesterday

When I picked up my FL2 from the service department at Lancaster Land Rover in Reading, yesterday the showroom was curtained off and they were just driving the Evoque in through the back doors ready for tomorrow's launch.

I've had the usual invitation to attend, but I can't really see myself wanting to shell out for the new kid on the block.

Bill

Post #112472 8th Sep 2011 12:53 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

I was at LRD Belgium a few weeks back and all the version were there.
On the 22nd I'm invited to go to an enveiling by my dealer (open bar) so I probably can go sit in one that day.

They still look quite small to me but as someone pointed out to me they are a good alternative to the MINI as they are about the same price. Not sure if that's true but if so, I'd go for the Evoque if I had to make the choise.

Post #112484 8th Sep 2011 2:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Just returned from my local dealers's Here and Now event at the Amex to launch the Evoque. Guess who forgot the camera Big Cry
Very well run event and Caffyns certainly pushed the boat out. Nice display of RRS, D4's and a couple of FL2 LE Sports outside. Interestingly no Evoques anywhere near the big boys. Wonder why?

At least six Evoques inside and a mix of 3 and 5 doors and Pure, Dynamic and Prestige. Stunning looking car and super luxurious inside and better than Audi/BMW/Mercedes. The Dynamic Sports Sports are just lovely to sit in and overall the fit and finish leaves the FL2 miles behind and given the price differential this is no surprise. Would I buy one, no. Too small and you sit too low. Would the other half, you bet. As as has been said before the RRE and FL2 are pitching at two different markets. Down here on the coast we are going to be over run now with Hove mummies in their blinged up Evoques as it is one for the ladies.

The weirdest thing about the RRE are the door mirrors which are high set as per FL2 but because you sit low in a car like position, the mirrors are high above you and you have to look up into them to see anything. Odd. Apart from that really lovely and LR will sell loads here and abroad so that is Thumbs Up for UK plc.

Got back in my FL2 and cruised home glad in the knowledge that the development of the Evoque gave us the smooth SD4. Thumbs Up

Post #112517 8th Sep 2011 9:13 pm
asinrute

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Santorini Black

Just come back from The Guy Salmon launch in Bristol, good night, interior of the Evoque is really well designed and finished, my favorite car though was a white special edition Freelander, apparently every dealer has been allocated 1 or 2 of these special edition cars FL2 HSE Sumatra black with body kit

Post #112519 8th Sep 2011 9:38 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I drove by my dealership this afternoon and saw all the preparations for the Evoque launch and for the first time, I'm cheesed off with my dealer for not sending me an invite Evil or Very Mad

Post #112521 8th Sep 2011 10:11 pm
taztastic

England 

I had an invite but alas couldn't make it, they also said pop in next week for a spin, will defo do that. Thumbs Up

Post #112522 8th Sep 2011 10:13 pm
EYorkshire

Tigger wrote:
I drove by my dealership this afternoon and saw all the preparations for the Evoque launch and for the first time, I'm cheesed off with my dealer for not sending me an invite Evil or Very Mad

Like you, mine is probably lost in the post somewhere Neutral or maybe its because I'm not on the 'Who's Who' site this year. Surprised

Post #112570 9th Sep 2011 10:12 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i got one for the open day this weekend at farnells, Leeds

"an unpressurised look at the Evoque with finger buffet" not sure if i am going, well i haven't RSVP to say i am yet Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #112571 9th Sep 2011 10:17 am
amerclarke

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

saw one this morning in coventry, bonnet up parked at side of road going nowhere. Al C

Post #112581 9th Sep 2011 12:31 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

npinks wrote:
i got one for the open day this weekend at farnells, Leeds

"an unpressurised look at the Evoque with finger buffet" not sure if i am going, well i haven't RSVP to say i am yet Wink

Not sure about the buffet - what do fingers taste of Whistle

With regards to the high mirror positioning - may partner had a Hyundai Coupe (the newer shape) which had high wing mirrors - she nearly wiped out many cars many times at roundabouts - she just couldn't see past the mirror - a great blind spot creator. 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #112584 9th Sep 2011 12:54 pm
EYorkshire

Not that good if they been round a 'chrome arse piece' Laughing

Post #112585 9th Sep 2011 1:11 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

EYorkshire wrote:
Not that good if they been round a 'chrome arse piece' Laughing

Shouldn't have thought there would be a problem as ALL owners keep their pride and joy so clean Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #112589 9th Sep 2011 1:46 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I called in to see them on the way home tonight and what a surprise disappointment!

On the plus side, it was very nice looking, had very comfortable front seats and was very plush inside.

On the downside, the basic car is so badly compromised for the sake of style that, once the initial novelty had worn off I am sure it would annoy me every time I used it Evil or Very Mad Whether it's the claustrophobic interior (from the lack of glass area), the small doors, the relatively low set seating position (especially in the back) or the catastrophic visibility in the 3 door (I wonder if it will join the MINI cabrio in being banned from being used in the driving test?).

I am sure they will sell like hot cakes for as long as the novelty holds out.

Then came the killer blow! Sure, they were plush inside but then I looked at the price of the ones I'd been sitting in: £45,000!! Shocked For another £1,000 I could get a Disco 4 HSE Shocked Shocked

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Land_Ro...012_5_door

That is a very easy choice to make...

Post #112621 9th Sep 2011 6:23 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Tigger wrote:
I called in to see them on the way home tonight and what a surprise disappointment!

On the plus side, it was very nice looking, had very comfortable front seats and was very plush inside.

On the downside, the basic car is so badly compromised for the sake of style that, once the initial novelty had worn off I am sure it would annoy me every time I used it Evil or Very Mad Whether it's the claustrophobic interior (from the lack of glass area), the small doors, the relatively low set seating position (especially in the back) or the catastrophic visibility in the 3 door (I wonder if it will join the MINI cabrio in being banned from being used in the driving test?).

I am sure they will sell like hot cakes for as long as the novelty holds out.

Then came the killer blow! Sure, they were plush inside but then I looked at the price of the ones I'd been sitting in: £45,000!! Shocked For another £1,000 I could get a Disco 4 HSE Shocked Shocked

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Land_Ro...012_5_door

That is a very easy choice to make...

Disco 4 for me any day of the week!!

Post #112623 9th Sep 2011 6:37 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey
Nice but impractical

Took the opprtunity of visiting one of the dealer evenings yesterday to look over the Evoque. Very nice, but as the sales guy said its been intentionally positioned as to not directly conflict with the Freelander. From a practicality point of view his recommendation was to stick with the Freelander. As a person who tows a caravan, the immediate reaction was the need to replace the can of tyre inflator with a spare wheel. This is apparently available for £120 but is a skinny speed limited option. No indication whether a full size wheel spare would fit (possibly not) so towing with the Evoque could be seriously compromised (or delayed whilst tyre repaired/replaced).
Agree with the other comments re space, height of driving position, door waist height etc. Very nice to have all the trim and colour options but it all comes at one hell of a cost, something else Ms Beckham designed in presumably!!

Post #112638 9th Sep 2011 8:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>