Home > Maintenance & Modifications > radiator cleaning after mud bath
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
radiator cleaning after mud bath

I asked this before in other topics but didn't get an answer so once more:
In several gallery's I've seen a lot of pictures recently where FL2's plunge in quite deep pools. Unfortunately, the water in those looks very muddy so I fear that the radiator of your car doesn't stay clean. Next, as the radiator is hot, the water evaporates quickly leaving a layer of dirt behind...
Did you clean the radiator afterwards ? The fins are very thin and fragile so the use of a high-pressure spraying pistol is not recommended.
Please tell us about your experiences.

Post #7958 5th Oct 2007 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would also like to see some answers on that Paul.
Even if high-pressure sprayed mad would go further in! Big Cry I would have thought that radiators have to be cleaned from the inside so that any dirt, insects etc get out (not in).
Another question is about engine cleaning in general. With all those electronics, classic spray cleaning is most probably prohibited! Any ideas on that?

Post #7963 5th Oct 2007 8:34 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

With the D3, you take the grill off and run water gently down it whilst brushing with a soft brush. High pressure hoses will blow the crap further in. On a dealer off road day they didn't take the Fl2 through the water as they said it was a pain cleaning the radiator whereas the taller D3 etc it wasn't an issue. Using a wading blanket can help, as does driving at the correct speed (but isn't as much fun Embarassed ) D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #7984 5th Oct 2007 3:06 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry Paul very rude!! I have cleaned mine but taken the lazy route with a jet wash, well I didn't, I got it valeted, lazy yes, costly not too bad!! Big Cry The muddy water looked worse than it was, it was literally muddy water, more water than mud, so not too much crap on the radiator, however I have noticed the radiator fan blowing alot more than pre Tong, and also when I get in the fan runs on long after the engine is switched off, which never happened before. Now the dirt is off I have noticed a few nasty scratches and chips on the alloys, bit annoying but I suppose no pleasure without pain.... Whistle

Post #8028 5th Oct 2007 10:09 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Thanks Carlfraz.
So it looks as if the efficiency of the radiator dropped noticeably which is not surprising...
Good that apparently it could be cleaned well enough.

Post #8051 6th Oct 2007 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
n4ewg

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Foot Rest

Deleted

Last edited by n4ewg on 6th Oct 2007 5:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8069 6th Oct 2007 3:55 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Carpet slipper for the left foot!!!! Whistle Laughing Laughing

Post #8070 6th Oct 2007 4:55 pm
SN

England 

pelyma wrote:
With the D3, you take the grill off and run water gently down it whilst brushing with a soft brush. High pressure hoses will blow the crap further in. On a dealer off road day they didn't take the Fl2 through the water as they said it was a pain cleaning the radiator whereas the taller D3 etc it wasn't an issue. Using a wading blanket can help, as does driving at the correct speed (but isn't as much fun Embarassed )

Its just struck me - I guess you CAN'T take the grill off the FL2 in 2 seconds flat like you can on a D3 Whistle Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #8093 6th Oct 2007 11:56 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Have checked my 'rad' a couple of times, no problems with blockage, no problems with temp control.

The rad is quite complex device, it is engine radiator, turbo intercooler, air conditioner and (in an auto) transmission oil cooler. It is important to keep it clear, however my expereince is that 'wading' to permitted depth hasn't caused any problems ...

Post #8789 19th Oct 2007 8:12 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Another way to clean any remaining crud out after washing with a hose is to let everything dry fully and if you have a portable compressor, charge it up and then blow between the fins out gently with low pressure compressed air, don't use high pressure though. If you have access to a ramp then you can also clean out underneath the car as well by blowing the dried up crap out - make sure you are wearing goggles when you do this though otherwise your eyes will be smarting for weeks afterward............................. been there had the streaming eyes afterward! How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #8798 19th Oct 2007 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1