« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to mute rear parking sensors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dropbear

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Zermatt Silver
How to mute rear parking sensors

Has anyone fitted a switch to turn off the reverse parking sensors? Is it possible? (I don’t have front sensors)
I have a non-genuine towbar fitted, as I couldn’t justify the cost of an LR one as I only planned to use it a couple of times however now that I have it fitted I find that I am using it much more than I originally thought and the continuous tone while reversing has upset she who must be obeyed, so time to do something about. Any suggestions on how to mute the sensors (not the wife) apart from fitting a LR wiring kit.

Post #109473 7th Aug 2011 1:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

on mine there is a switch marked 'P' on the centre console (with the red hazard switch above the radio) which allows you to switch off the sensors - I just press that to quieten them

Post #109474 7th Aug 2011 6:52 am
Dropbear

I don't have that switch. Seems that unless you have front parking sensors you don't have the switch you refer to. I was wondering if the standard wiring would allow me to fit the switch? Does anyone know if i can retro fit this switch on a Australian SE model and what the part number is?

Post #109477 7th Aug 2011 8:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Even if you could just retro fit the switch (their are models with the front sensors over here) you would probably need to do a software change too for the switch to have any effect.

You know you can get a software change for the towbar? It costs about AU$70 from what I have been quoted and will disable the sensors when you connect the trailer electrics. I have a haynes and reese towbar fitted and keep meaning to drop in to get the dealer to configure the car to know it has a towbar fitted. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #109479 7th Aug 2011 9:09 am
EYorkshire

If dropbear did not use the dedicated wiring loom then a software change will do nothing, it will not sense the trailer connection.
It is only the 'loom' that needs changing.

Post #109481 7th Aug 2011 9:14 am
djwhyte

Oh really? I got a 3rd party one fitted too, not the genuine LR one! I assumed because it was 'compatible' with all the right ECU bits and bobs that I could get the car programmed at LR and it would be just the same effect. Doh! 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #109497 7th Aug 2011 1:11 pm
EYorkshire

I also got a third party one fitted at a local towbar installer who did the software upgrade, not a LR one but it is a dedicated loom and not a 'cut and splice' with a Bypass Relay where a software upgrade cannot be done. If dropbear has a 'cut and splice' loom then he is f Censored d full stop.

Post #109513 7th Aug 2011 6:41 pm
Dropbear

The towbar I fitted was also a haynes and reese and came complete with special loom and little black box. Perhaps I should pay the LR dealer to update the S/W and see if it works.

Post #109531 7th Aug 2011 11:29 pm
djwhyte

Dropbear wrote:
The towbar I fitted was also a haynes and reese and came complete with special loom and little black box. Perhaps I should pay the LR dealer to update the S/W and see if it works.

Please do and then let me know if it works Rolling with laughter 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #109548 8th Aug 2011 12:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1