Home > Technical > 2013 Headlight Question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gissit

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue
2013 Headlight Question

Hi
I recently bought a 2013 SD4 Lux and very nice it is too. I was somewhat surprised that it does not have HID lights fitted as it uses HB3 halogen bulbs. All that said, it does not have a manual adjuster for the headlight leveling. I assume that this would be in the same place as the older ones?

I have owned three other Freelanders but this is the first one with the upgraded interior and light switches on the stalks. I have a 2009 with Xenon HID fitted and this has self leveling. It seems odd that there is no leveling switch with the halogens, does this version use auto leveling on the halogen lights?

Post #427563 7th Dec 2022 10:55 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I have a 2014 SD4 SE Tech with HB3 halogens in projector lights - it has manual level adjustment via wheel in the dashboard to the R of the steering wheel. Jules

Post #427564 7th Dec 2022 11:33 pm
Stussy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Sumatra Black

How very strange , I thought that all cars fitted with HID / Xenon had to have automatic adjustment via sensors on the suspension and Headlamp washers . Sounds almost like your vehicle has the incorrect headlamps fitted. Halogen lamps should have a manual adjustment. I've a MY15 Metro and that has Bi Xenon lamps with auto levelling.

Post #427565 8th Dec 2022 12:44 am
Stussy

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Sumatra Black

How very strange , I thought that all cars fitted with HID / Xenon had to have automatic adjustment via sensors on the suspension and Headlamp washers . Sounds almost like your vehicle has the incorrect headlamps fitted. Halogen lamps should have a manual adjustment. I've a MY15 Metro and that has Bi Xenon lamps with auto levelling.

Post #427566 8th Dec 2022 12:46 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

If its an HSE LUX it will have come from factory with Xenon lights as standard and no rotary switch to level them. (next to the little useless tray on the RHS of the dash next to the door)

If its 'just' an HSE it will have come from factory with useless Halogen HB3 lights with the rotary switch, unless the first owner specced it with Xenon from new.

Both HSE and HSE LUX/METROPOLIS should have the LED signature strip.

If yours is an HSE LUX but has halogen lights it sounds like someone has replaced the Xenon lights for some reason but didnt want to pay the premium so fitted Halogen instead. The auto levelling may still work though.

Post #427567 8th Dec 2022 8:58 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

RogB wrote:
rotary switch to level them. (next to the little useless tray on the RHS of the dash next to the door

If you don't keep the fob in your pocket it sits in this little tray. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #427568 8th Dec 2022 9:20 am
jules

yes, with the attached house keys going jingle jangle - quite annoying Very Happy Jules

Post #427569 8th Dec 2022 9:48 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

RogB wrote:
If its an HSE LUX it will have come from factory with Xenon lights as standard and no rotary switch to level them. (next to the little useless tray on the RHS of the dash next to the door)

If its 'just' an HSE it will have come from factory with useless Halogen HB3 lights with the rotary switch, unless the first owner specced it with Xenon from new.

Both HSE and HSE LUX/METROPOLIS should have the LED signature strip.

If yours is an HSE LUX but has halogen lights it sounds like someone has replaced the Xenon lights for some reason but didnt want to pay the premium so fitted Halogen instead. The auto levelling may still work though.

As far as I am aware it was not possible to spec HID lamps as an optional extra in the UK. They are std on HSE Lux and it's Metropolis successor and I think are part of the Lux pack for Dynamic models . They are much in demand because the halogens are so poor so perhaps a previous owner has done a swap for some Halogens and trousered a good profit? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #427570 8th Dec 2022 10:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

yes, the halogens in the HID projector lens is an awful cheapskate design.
I eventually went with an HID4U Stealth HID upgrade after trying more powerful HB3 and LED bulbs which just didnt work well in the projector lens. Jules

Post #427587 8th Dec 2022 5:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1