Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What oil does your dealer use at service?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi Alex. I can't fin the Castrol Edge Professional A5 5W-30 anywhere?! A5 only comes as 0W-30 as fare as I can see....?
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarti...Id=7070110 FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #113135 14th Sep 2011 11:51 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

THANKS Alex Thumbs Up - At long f Censored g last LR have woken up Thumbs Up I wonder who kicked the soft chair from under their ass Question Maybe all the hard work YF did earlier had some reflection on this decition Question

Here is what a ACEA C1 oil spec is.

C : Catalyst compatibility oils
C1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines requiring low friction, low viscosity, low SAPS oils with a HTHS higher than 2.9 mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life and provide fuel economy benefit.
Warning: these oils have the lowest SAPS limits and may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

........and we have been using the inncorrect "stealer reccomended and supplied" oil for our DPF Freelys for years Rolling Eyes no wonder the DPF FULL - visit dealer with the dreaded limp mode cutting in has been a common problem Crying or Very sad

HOWEVER: Castrol Norway now needs to get its plonker out Rolling Eyes THEY are still reccomending Magnatec A1 5W-30 which is not suitable for DPF Freelys Shocked
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?c...Id=7066587

A1/B1 Oil intended for use in gasoline and car + light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #113141 14th Sep 2011 12:30 pm
alex_pescaru

Indeed Andy, in the case of our FL2s equipped with 2.2 diesel engine, as LR recommends Castrol,

For DPF equipped engines:
Castrol Edge Proffesional C1 5W30 only.

For non-DPF equipped engines:
Castrol Edge Professional A5 5W30 or
Castrol Magnatec A1 5W30,
both complying with A1/B1, A5/B5 and Ford WSS-M2C913C norms, where Ford WSS-M2C913C specification is backwardly compatible with WSS-M2C913B.

In my opinion, the Castrol Edge Proffesional C1 5W30 also can be used on non-DPF engines as it's a low SAPS quality oil and there is nothing to damage in a non-DPF system.

Post #113152 14th Sep 2011 1:29 pm
Swingwing

Castrol is only a recommendation from Land Rover as most of their dealers have contracts with different oil companies - mine uses Mobil. I see the important thing here is to INSIST that the oil they put in at service complies with the spec demanded by Land Rover i.e FS 5W30 C1 for DPF equipped cars (MY11 onwards for UK cars.)
At my service I will be requiring the service manager to confirm this in writing on the invoice. Bulk oil will not float my boat.

Post #113162 14th Sep 2011 2:07 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

alex_pescaru wrote:

In my opinion, the Castrol Edge Proffesional C1 5W30 also can be used on non-DPF engines as it's a low SAPS quality oil and there is nothing to damage in a non-DPF system.

Ok so there is no problems with me running the C1 even if it turns out I don't have the DPF.
Do you know how the edge pro is vs. the Magntec A1?
Thanks Smile FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #113181 14th Sep 2011 3:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12