Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Real Wood Dash Kits for Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gibbergump

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Real Wood Dash Kits for Land Rover

Hi All,

Well I plunked my $2k down last week for a Freelander 2 HSE in Canada for delivery in April. The only thing that has been bothering me though is the gaudy fake wood plastic. Almost every review I have read raves about the vehicle and then agree that one of the only minor faults is the plastic wood. I have never seen a real FL2 so i do not know for sure but I did own an Acura years ago with real wood trim and it really makes a difference.

Looks like we can have our cake and eat it too though!

I just found this company on-line (based in New York USA) that supplies real wood kits for every vehicle imaginable. They have all the existing Land Rover models already, and I sent them an inquiry about the FL/LR 2.

Intersting...http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=2541

Stay tuned and I will let you know if they are planning a kit for FL2.

k

Post #684 2nd Nov 2006 5:11 am
simon

United Kingdom 

The plastic wood looks very tacky... just like it does in the RRS. Finish is very poor.

Lets the rest of the interior down big time.

Would avoid it at all cost and personally, the only vehicle I have ever seen that has used wood to dramatic and luxurious effect is the current (and new) RR.

Post #687 2nd Nov 2006 6:40 pm
boiledgnat

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

why not just go for the Pixel metallic finish, that way you don't need to worry about plastic wood (blond or dark!)

Post #1710 23rd Feb 2007 12:47 pm
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had to make this choice too when I ordered mine in Dec 06. I first ordered the pixel metalic option (matches better with other silver parts like door handles), but finally changed it to dark wood. The reason is that I have chosen the ebony interior with all black fascia and the silver strip cut it in two. Wood doesn't. As a matter of fact I've seen the car with dark wood and ebony interior and the match is perfect (in my opinion). Conclusion: it's just a matter of taste. As far as light wood is conserned: it's awful!

Will let you know for sure when i get the car in late March (hopefully).

Post #1716 23rd Feb 2007 10:42 pm
Valin

Saudi Arabia 
Limited plastic wood options in the Middleeast

Just arrived in May 07' ,the LR2 in the middle east limited the customers upholstery options.
Based on the regional website; the LR2 comes in only two upholstery wood combinations, either Blond wood with Aplaca, Or Dark wood Ebony .
My problem is i love the Aplaca but hate the blond plastic finishing.
Ebony would seem an imposed compermise, i'd rather have metal stripping or just order it without the fake wood"Finishless" and put in my own "Real" dark wood by a third party.

Regretebly car consumers in the middle east usually suffer from the monoply of exslusive country dealerships.
The result is when it comes to options,customer support and price its "Take it or leave it",the next dealership is across the border in another country! ...

Valin

Personal Note:
"Freedom of choice" is so unappreciated in some countries. Neutral

Post #2831 3rd May 2007 11:12 am
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Valin my dealer in Greece does offer the dark wood as an option. So even if you get the light version you can later stick the dark one.

Post #2848 4th May 2007 8:37 am
Valin

Saudi Arabia 

Thanks for the tip Defkalion, i might just do that and order the dark trim online. Cool

Post #2851 4th May 2007 9:54 am
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

HI

I've just put a post in the General forum kinda about this same subject. I'm looking at the GS, which doesn't have any trim, silver or wood, and would like to get something.

I have noticed the the wood trim site that people talk about, there kits don't replace the middle piece of trim, they just add to it. If you look at the picture here, you'll see it's still got the silver finish.

http://www.wooddashexperts.com/customer/home.php?cat=6677

I ahve seen in the new accessories brouchure that LR do a wood and aluminium effect facia kit, which I guess is aimed at the S and GS customer who just get a plain black dash. But this may be an option for you as it does give you the long strips for the middle of the dash.

I'm just nervous that it may look like someone has bount some cheap silver colour plastic and stuck in on with double sided tape, so still to decide.

Rich

Post #2852 4th May 2007 11:34 am
scotster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi rmbillington.

Did you get an aluminium effect facia kit?

I ask as I just got one from ebay. In theory it is Part no LR002463. I say in theory as although its come from a dealer (again in theory) i find it hard to believe that the brushed aliminium effect thats on it is supposed to match the existing gear stick surround aluminium fascia which is smooth and actually is alu. (I think).

I have to say I'm a little dissapointed and will try it in daylight tomorrow to see how it really looks before deciding to stick it on.

Rgds. Scott. '57 GS TD4 in Stornoway. Privacy, Leather, Tred Cills. From ebay etc.. 18" 12 spoke HSE alloys, rear spoiler, clear side repeaters with clear leds, led interior light to replace bulbs, sports exhaust trim, TomTom 720.
Favourite Off road vehicle, still my Santa Cruz Mountain Bike! Smile http://www.team-banana-racing.com

Post #11347 6th Dec 2007 8:51 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

To all interested:
the blond or dark or pixelmetallic strips on the dashboard can be easily changed as in the SE and HSE lines such strips are seperate from the rest of the dash board and can be removed (un-clip only) and replaced at little cost. Landrover offeres the 3 parts in either of the 3 colours as a replacement set for EUR 68,00. On the
E and S lines (in Germany) such strips are not there resp. are black and are a fixed part of the dashboard.
If you wish to change those, you have to look for third party offers (such parts must be glued on top of the original black parts).

So if you own an SE or HSE and you are not happy with your blonde or dark wood imitate and wish to change it to pixel metallic or vice versa, go and see your dealer. He will be able to help you.

YF

Post #11357 7th Dec 2007 7:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1