Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Heavy steering at low speed/parking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dan0617

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Izmir Blue
Heavy steering at low speed/parking

Hi all,

I have a hissing noise from under the bonnet when turning the steering wheel on my 2007 HSE, the steering feels really heavy at low speed and is particulaly difficult when trying to park the reservoir feels hot after the car has been driven. I have read on here about replacing the reservoir and fluid as the filter could be blocked. Is there any way of telling if the pump or rack are at fault? as its out of warranty i dont want this to turn into an epic.

Many thanks

Post #105905 23rd Jun 2011 2:59 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Lots and lots about this on the forum, and I have been at the end of a new rack and pump but I still get the problems you mention... despite going back to the dealer several times I am told it is a characteristic of the car Shocked

The best thing to do is replace the resevoir and back flush it before doing anything drastic. There is a good post on here somewhere telling you how to do it. As long as you are fairly handy you should be able to do it yourself.

If that does not fix it, then the chances are its your rack. I still suspect my rack but as I say the dealer denies it. For what its worth, I had a new eD4 the other day and I did'nt think the stearing felt that great on it either and it only had 500 miles on the clock!!!

Interesting you should point out that the res is hot. Mine too also gets hot but I put it doen to the fact that hydrolic fluid under pressure is bound to get hot anyway... would be interesting to hea if any of the others on here have noticed it???

Either way - I'd get a new res and flush the system first and see where this takes you... good luck Thumbs Up Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #105950 23rd Jun 2011 10:27 pm
Dan0617

Many thanks for the reply, I picked up a new res from the dealer so will give it a go this weekend and hopefully sort this problem. Fingers crossed.

Post #105956 23rd Jun 2011 10:40 pm
Roverdude

2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I had similar symptoms on my 2008 LR2. it turned out to be the power steering pump- replaced under warranty, no issues since.

Post #105965 24th Jun 2011 5:26 am
Dan0617

Hi all,

Well just finished replacing the reservoir and oil, to be honest don't think it has made that much difference the wheel still really difficult when turning at low speeds/parking. The filter in the old reservoir was full of crap though I also seem to have a whining noise from the pump area now, so not sure whether to go for a pump or a new rack any thoughts?

Post #106057 25th Jun 2011 5:11 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Had all this with my 07 SE Manual. Dealer was very helpful, replaced reservoir and back flushed which didn't make any difference. Then replaced the rack which made a minor improvement but still left with a whine. After much scratching of heads and comparison with other models in Dealers it was decided that they all whined, some more than others and mine just happened to be one of the noisier ones. Didn't mind as although 3 months out of warranty, Dealer persuaded LR to cover the cost of the new rack and labour as a goodwill gesture. Now sold the 07 SE and got an MY 11 XS manual which doesn't whine (yet).

Post #106067 25th Jun 2011 6:08 pm
Dan0617

Well had the rack and pump replaced yesterday as per Landrover technical bulletin and can report steering like new now! Can't thank the guys at the green oval in Leeds enough as did the job at half the price the dealer wanted. Lets hope that's the end of it now!

Post #106764 1st Jul 2011 1:56 pm
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Hi Dan,

How much for the non-dealer fitted pump and rack?

I too have the hiss coming from the bonnet when I steer, only after the car has gotten warm from driving for a while though. No heavy steering for me, but definitely a hiss. It is an 07 built car, with 36,000kms on it.

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #106823 2nd Jul 2011 10:15 am
djwhyte

Just to follow up with my experience....

I took the car to the dealer yesterday and had them have a look to quote me for repairing the hiss (my car is out of warranty). When I collected the car, they indicated that having had the senior technician and 2 quality control technicians look at it and comparing it with two other similar aged and mileage cars, they can't find a fault.

I indicated that I might get the reservoir replaced just in case something is starting to go wrong and they suggested that there really is no need to in their opinion. Given the fact that they could have quoted for a must-fix just to take my money but suggested not to, I am somewhat inclined to trust them.

Obviously, there are no guarantees from them that there is no issue there and they are just waiting for it to get worse so I have to buy a whole frontend for the car Razz

Might still get that reservoir replaced, just for peace of mind. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #107268 8th Jul 2011 1:01 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

It seams they all hiss (especially when turning right) some more than others... I've driven about 4 now and they all did it to a degree and of those 4 2 were brand new.

When the dealer told me it was a characteristic I did not believe him but it would seam I had to eat my words and just get on with it... I could keep on going worrying about it but life is too short! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #107327 9th Jul 2011 8:05 am
djwhyte

Captain Worm wrote:
It seams they all hiss (especially when turning right) some more than others...

It is a relief to hear you say that, since my noise is much more prominent when I turn right! 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #107331 9th Jul 2011 9:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1